1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

have one new problem with my Treo180. I always use to send long SMS (more than 160 chars) but from recent time, it is delivered divided into several single 160 character long messages. I am sure, that before it worked.

Firstly I had suspection, that receiving phone was with bad settings, however, I found, that long messages sent even back to my Treo are always divided.

I tried to find some check box in my Treo SMS application to choose delivering long messages, but did not find any.

Can you help me?

Thanx....
    For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air.
    Nope, no way to do that. The 160-chars message length is a limitation of the GSM platform. That means that you can't by any means send a longer message using a Treo or any other phone. That's why the Treo's SMS application automatically divides long messages into 160-chars chunks.
  3.    #3  
    No, Criz... SMS centers are able to add information to messages, which can result, that phones will merge several (I think up to 4) messages, which was divided before.
    For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air.
    Never heard of that, dunbar. My 180 always splits the SMS into 160 character pieces. Sounds like your issue is a service provider one, not a handset one.

Cheers,
    -mbd26
    Well, you got me there... never heard of that either. As far as I know, the receiving phone would need to have the ability to identify consecutive messages and merge them, since the 160-chars msg length is a part of the standard.
    http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/sms/index.shtml
    http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/sms/intro.shtml#10

I'd be interested in knowing if you find out that message merging is actually possible.

Regards,
    Chris.
  6.    #6  
    Guys,

I am sure, that my Treo180 is able to receive "long SMS". Of course, SMS centers are handling with it as with several 160 char long messages, however, these centers adds there some info, which can tell to mobile phone to join that consecutive messages. When my friend types her message with her phone (e.g. Nokia, or Motorola), she types it as long message (for example 420 characters). Then she send it (and it stores in her phone as one long message). Afterwards I get the messages and it appears in my Treo as ONE LONG message.

However, when I want to do the same, it does not work. I am typing long message to my Treo, it is sent (and stored in my Sent folder in SMS app in my Treo as one long message). But it is received as several messages.

In some phones (e.g. Sony Ericsson T630 which I use as my employee's cell phone) there is an option to check: ALLOW LONG SMS. But in Treo there is nothing similar.

I have to confess, that now I am not sure, wheter it worked sometimes before. It seems to me, that it worked before, but I am not sure.