1.    #1  
    I've used Palm OS devices since my old Visor Deluxe. All I've ever wanted is a Palm OS smartphone.
    My contract with VZW ends in May. I don't want the obsolete Treo 600, I want the 650 to replace my Tungsten C and crappy Samsung A530.
    Sprint has terrible coverage in my corner of upstate NY (and a lot of other areas from what I've read).
    Cingular is having a ton of problems with the 650 and who knows if and when VZW will ever offer it.
    So why can't PalmOne get this phone on a carrier who can do it right?
    Is the Treo 650 jinxed?
    Well I can't speak for the entire population of treo 650s but mine isn't "jinxed" - however i have only installed 2 apps - voicedialer and pocket tunes, maybe this is why i don't have all the issues mentioned by others.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisratz
    Well I can't speak for the entire population of treo 650s but mine isn't "jinxed" - however i have only installed 2 apps - voicedialer and pocket tunes, maybe this is why i don't have all the issues mentioned by others.
    I tend to agree that most of the issues with the 650 stem from incompatible software. Of course, that does not make it ok that the device does spontaneous resets and the like.

On my 650, I've added everything (except Solitaire which came on the Palm CD) to my SD card. Even so, I've been frugal about what I added notwithstanding the fact that I have a 512 MB card. On that card I've installed My Bible from Laridian, Bejeweled and a couple others. That's about it. I have had the periodic resets, but all in all the device has been quite stable. No jinx here - I HOPE!
    David
    I've got a Cingular 650 pretty loaded up and it's working great. I have had an average of 1 reset per day, but everything comes back up perfectly so far

I got a bit spooked by all the problems I heard about here, but so far none have materialized. Most I think had to do with either the incompatible sim (Gemplus) or incompatible software

Edge data speeds are pretty fast as well...

Mark
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The exquisitively painful way in which the 650 is jinxed has to be experienced first hand by buying one immediately!

Buy one! You won't regret it!
    You guys are f'in incredible - you think a phone that reboots once a day is OK???? I waited all through the 600 era for the 650. Bought the GSM version the day it came out - mine reboots and its driving me crazy. None of my other cell phines i've EVER had in over ten years have spontaneously crashed. NONE.

I agree with the argument that we "users" can screw up our phones with incompatible software, yada, yada, yada -but what about a stone stock phone? Mine reset and I did #*377 and it said the Phone app crashed for crying out loud. If new firmwre doesn't come out soon that stabilizes it it's going back.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstroot
    You guys are f'in incredible - you think a phone that reboots once a day is OK???? I waited all through the 600 era for the 650. Bought the GSM version the day it came out - mine reboots and its driving me crazy. None of my other cell phines i've EVER had in over ten years have spontaneously crashed. NONE.

I agree with the argument that we "users" can screw up our phones with incompatible software, yada, yada, yada -but what about a stone stock phone? Mine reset and I did #*377 and it said the Phone app crashed for crying out loud. If new firmwre doesn't come out soon that stabilizes it it's going back.
    You have a solid point. After spending that much money, the device should be rock solid. Mine does not crash daily. Actually, I have not had a reset in several days. Granted, I've only had the phone for about one week.

In my case, I had only two choices: a Pocket PC device or a Palm Device. I'm a long time PPC user, but when I became a Mac user, the PPC became quite limited. I had to take to the Palm in order to use some of the applications I use.

The Blackberry 7100t was great for a while, but I couldn't load on the additional apps I needed. So I guess I didn't have much of a choice but to take to the Treo. O to have a solid Nokia with ability to sync to Entourage!
    David
  8.    #8  
    Appreciate the comments folks. I'm hoping that by late May, either VZW will be offering the 650 or it's soon or Cingular will have the bugs worked out.
    I want this phone so bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstroot

f..ck the firmware. Return your stupid phone. It's defective!

Mine is almost a month old - still flawless. No daily resets at all.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    1.) Any reason to doubt that VZW will get the 650 just like it did (eventually) the 600?

2.) If you're in a big hurry, you can always "Verzonize" a Sprint 650.

In answer to the intial question, though: no, not jinxed, but not a stable as a basic phone. My SPCS 650 (with ND&T disbaled) is acceptably but not perfectly stable (2-5 reboots per WEEK), but it's also easier to break a ratchet than to break a simple wrench. You can also do more, more easily, with the former than the latter.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    [QUOTE=Treo Rat]f..ck the firmware. Return your stupid phone. It's defective!

QUOTE]

Agree- there are a few bad eggs out there. My first 650 lasted nine hours before entering an eternal reboot loop (had to take out the f-ing battery to make it stop) but 8 minutes in a Sprint store was all it took to get me a new one that has worked fine even with all kinds of foreign apps aboard. Maybe I was more forgiving because I had been reading these boards for two months before my purchase and I was already expecting the worst. My second unit on the other hand, has been a pleasant suprise to date.
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    Mine is rock solid...i have Verichat, Pocketunes, Diddlebug, Zlauncher, and MMPlayer installed...
  13.    #13  
    If I get one, I'm staying away from third party software, maybe City Time, but it seems that's one of the problems.
    Our Cingular Treo 650s are working great. My main complaint is that the speaker isn't loud enough. My bluetooth earpiece fixes that.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    You must be in the finger lakes, Cingular sucks up there too, Verizon is the only solution...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    You must be in the finger lakes, Cingular sucks up there too, Verizon is the only solution...
    Correct, the beautiful, snow-covered Finger Lakes, but I've looked at Cingular's coverage map and it looks like it covers the area.
    Having used VZW and its predecessors dating back to 1994, it would be tough to go, but that's how bad I want a Treo 650.
    Ok, so here I am essentially bragging that my Treo 650 has been virtually trouble free. There have been no resets recently. Of course tonight it just stopped synchronizing. And everything the synchronization fails, the Treo resets. I've extracted the following from the Hotync Log for the Mac OS X:

HotSync 3.2.1 started 3/3/05 10:28:13 PM
    Local Synchronization
    OK Install
    OK SplashID
    OK Media
    Syncing Address Book
    OK Syncing Address Book
    Syncing Notes
    OK Syncing Notes
    Syncing Calendar
    OK Syncing Calendar
    Syncing Tasks
    An unknown error #268461072 occurred synchronization failed
    HotSync Canceled 3/3/05 10:28:17 PM

It has done this multiple times. It simply won't sync anymore. I'll try a few things, but if it doesn't get resolved in a day or so, it's back to Sprint. Truly sad because I love the form factor and basic functions of this device. If anyone can help me figure this, I would appreciate it. Alas, maybe it is jinxed.
    David