1.    #1  
    With all of the problems with NVFS, I hate being so tight on memory. The problem I will describe here would not be an issue if 500k weren't such a big deal. But I'm trying to run TT Navigator, which seems to need at least 2.5M in RAM to function properly.

I've noticed that the T650 randomly "leaks" RAM. Sometimes it's after running a particular program (not necessarily even one using a cache or utilizing a large database), sometimes it's after Hotsycing, sometimes it's just when I return to the Launcher (I use Launcher X) without doing much in particular. What I notice is that I will lose 100-200k at a time for no apparent reason. Sometimes the amount is less, but it tends to continue. Gradually, I'll end up with 500k lost.

This becomes clear after a hard reset: after which I will have back the memory that seemed to be lost for no apparent reason--at least temporarily, as it gradully happens again (until the next hard reset, for whatever reason).

1. Why does this happen?
    2. Can I somehow "purge" this extraneous memory without going through a hard reset?

Before you answer, I am aware of programs being installed and then deleted sometimes leaving remnants. I'm also aware of the Versamail attachments file and Blazer caches. This appears to be independent of these very common memory drains.

I also notice that the memory available according the the LX main display will always be less (again, sometimes by a few hundred KBs) than what is shown by the "Info" screen...is this somehow related?
    You hard reset to get rid of this problem? Presumably when you reinstall all the applications (like mail) the temporary databases (like the mail database) aren't there yet. That's why you have free space.

Are you sure you don't mean you soft reset?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    You hard reset to get rid of this problem? Presumably when you reinstall all the applications (like mail) the temporary databases (like the mail database) aren't there yet. That's why you have free space.

Are you sure you don't mean you soft reset?
    Yes, I know the difference and I mean HARD reset. I've never done it exclusively to free up a little memory, though. I've only noticed this when I've done a HR for another reason. Do the temporary databases actually take up 500K+?
    My mail database is easily 500k if I don't delete old messages (including sent files).

Remember, each call that you make takes up 2k (or something like that, I don't remember, search around). This is just one example of a possible memory leak source. (remember to purge your old calls--I just did mine and saved 50k and I clear my log regularly and make few calls).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    My mail database is easily 500k if I don't delete old messages (including sent files).

Remember, each call that you make takes up 2k (or something like that, I don't remember, search around). This is just one example of a possible memory leak source. (remember to purge your old calls--I just did mine and saved 50k and I clear my log regularly and make few calls).
    Thanks for the call log tip. I just freed up 430k! I only have between 5-10 emails (without any attachments) in Versamail at a given time and never keep any items in folders other than the inbox. I also purge the trash whenever anything goes in there. Any other possible sources?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    BatteryGraph keeps a constantly growing database. That is unless you set limits on the size or number of records, and even then it only trims the database when you actually run the app.
    I can't think of any large sources off hand, but it's probably a good idea to install filez and take a look around to see if there are any files on your treo that are too big than they "should" be. That's how I first thought to clear my phone log. SMS logs as well, can use a purging.
    Ha!

That one got me too, eric. My batteryGraph db at one point bloomed to 2500kb before I figured it out! So I now keep the program off.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Another program that leaks memory is Backup Man, although it appears to be heap that it uses up. I turned off its automated nightly backup, and I never get Blazer complaining that it has insufficient memory to connect to the 'net any more.

Your mileage may well vary.
    notepaper -> palm pilot pro -> handspring visor platinum -> kyocera 6035 -> treo 650
    I just cleared my call log and recovered 800k. Wow! Is there an app that will auto clear the log?
    Not that I know of, but it is almost as easy to clear the log as it would be to launch the program.
    I have noticed several times that LX, when running a program from the SD card, will leave orphin files behind, files that have the ext .prprpr~ $or$ .$pd$~, $I$ $use$ $filez$ $to$ $delete$ $the$ $duplicates$ $and$ $this$ $can$ $also$ $clear$ $up$ $considerable$ $memory$. $Bottom$ $line$, $some$ $apps$ $don$'$t$ $play$ $as$ $good$ $as$ $others$ $on$ $the$ $SD$ $card$ $with$ $LX$. $You$ $just$ $need$ $to$ $check$ $for$ $the$ .**~ $files$ $from$ $time$ $to$ $time$.
    try NeatFreak Pak

or just the CleanUp application. I've installed Clean Up and freed atleast 1mb.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrinker
    I have noticed several times that LX, when running a program from the SD card, will leave orphin files behind, files that have the ext .prprpr~ $or$ .$pd$~, $I$ $use$ $filez$ $to$ $delete$ $the$ $duplicates$ $and$ $this$ $can$ $also$ $clear$ $up$ $considerable$ $memory$. $Bottom$ $line$, $some$ $apps$ $don$'$t$ $play$ $as$ $good$ $as$ $others$ $on$ $the$ $SD$ $card$ $with$ $LX$. $You$ $just$ $need$ $to$ $check$ $for$ $the$ .**~ $files$ $from$ $time$ $to$ $time$.
    So you can delete the ~ files without any consequence?
    I never had a problem deleting them
    I mainly deleted the big unassocated files in RAM. It's kind of tricky since you can't really tell if the file belongs to a working program. The way clean up works is it filters out files that are not associated with installed apps. It does this by comparing the creator ID. Atleast that's what it's supposed to do. The good thing about clean up is if you delete something you can chose to back it up to the card so if deleting that file causes a problem, just recopy it into back in RAM.