1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650. I want to be able to have an application read a GPS coordinate from a Tom Tom (or other) BT GPS unit. Is this relatively easy to do in Codewarrior? Most of the Tom Tom stuff I have seen is embedded in an application and there really is no published info on the API. Has anyone tried to do this? How hard is it and is Codewarrior the right tool to use? Can someone point me to the specific function name to access BT ?

Thanks !!!!
    GPS units are serial devices, usually communicating at 4,800bps or 38,400bps. They typically speak NMEA-0183 protocol. Try searching on google.

Here's a link to get you started: http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm

Basically, all you need to do is open up the serial port and start listening for messages.

If you are working with bluetooth, you should also search for "Bluetooth Virtual Serial Driver" in the PalmSource SDK documentation.

Good Luck!
    Hi outwest,

I am doing the exact same thing and have done it successfully using my laptop, bt gps receiver, and treo 650 phone. If you want me to send you example code I can. You will want to look at the NMEA specs for decoding the sentences that come into your bt device. Your bt receiver will be using the Serial BT profile (0x1011).

Here's the link I used to get started...
    http://www.commlinx.com.au/NMEA_sentences.htm

Maybe we can work together. I have successfully completed this with my laptop, so I know the code works, but when I try to run Bt examples on my treo 650 I run into problems. Have you had any success??

Let me know!
    Regards,
    Bit

Quote Originally Posted by outwest
    I have a Treo 650. I want to be able to have an application read a GPS coordinate from a Tom Tom (or other) BT GPS unit. Is this relatively easy to do in Codewarrior? Most of the Tom Tom stuff I have seen is embedded in an application and there really is no published info on the API. Has anyone tried to do this? How hard is it and is Codewarrior the right tool to use? Can someone point me to the specific function name to access BT ?

Thanks !!!!
    I wrote an NMEA parser that ran as an MBean in JBoss. The format is very simple, the device that was sending the location data was doing so via multicast, but it is a military device and they do not typically follow any known standards (job security). The question is what you want to do once you are handling the data. I was putting it into a DB, I suppose you could log your movement for the day in a file, or send it to a server for???

So, I guess my question is, what is the use case for this?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Interesting that I just came across this thread. I use TomTom on my 650 too and have finally ordered a BT GPS receiver.

The setup just screams to be used as a tracking application. I picture a background process piggy backing the NMEA serial feed and at a 5 minute interval, sending the position to a central web server. That server maintains user accounts and a history of position data per account.

An end user can define usernames and passwords that have access to his position data. When hitting the web site, you'd be presented with a map of his current location and recent route. Since the user would control access to the site as well as being able to switch off the app at the 650 level, there's no real privacy implications.

Thoughts? I could probably write much of the server side code and web site, but have zero Palm programming experience.
    That is exactly was I was trying to accomplish. I said trying, because I found out months ago in order for this to work I need a Bluetooth Stack Implementation to coincide with JSR 82. I did a lot of researching and found a few companies but they wanted over 4,000 dollars for the impl. So I finally said the heck with it. Too bad sprint has their GPS locked down on their phones, otherwise we could bypass all this stuff and use JSR 79 - which is the location based api. I just thought it would be cool to write a program like this. I guess we could write our own BT Stack Impl and then sell it for 2,000.00

If anyone has any other ideas feel free to email me at rrbcap@yahoo.com
    L8r,
    Bit

Quote Originally Posted by ratsey
    Interesting that I just came across this thread. I use TomTom on my 650 too and have finally ordered a BT GPS receiver.

The setup just screams to be used as a tracking application. I picture a background process piggy backing the NMEA serial feed and at a 5 minute interval, sending the position to a central web server. That server maintains user accounts and a history of position data per account.

An end user can define usernames and passwords that have access to his position data. When hitting the web site, you'd be presented with a map of his current location and recent route. Since the user would control access to the site as well as being able to switch off the app at the 650 level, there's no real privacy implications.

Thoughts? I could probably write much of the server side code and web site, but have zero Palm programming experience.
    I am trying to read GPS position information using my TomTom BT GPS receiver. I use CodeWarrior v8.3 and am trying to get this to work on my Treo 650. What do I need to know about Bluetooth Connection Profiles? Also are you using SrmExtOpen(sysFileCVirtRfComm, &config, sizeof(config), &btPortId); like this to open a virtual serial connection? I am at the point of being able to discover my GPS unit using my calls but when I go to use the Serial Manager APIs, I get a bad port error.
  8. JPA
    Hi,

Not a CW sample, but there is a complete BT GPS sample provided with HB++. Source code is provided (BT stuff, NMEA parser). The parser is quite basic but get most of the important infos: Latitude, Longitude, Altitude, Heading and Speed. However, you can easily modify the parser code to get more NMEA words.

Screenshot here

As mentionned, the sample is provided with HB++, as a built-in sample:

http://www.handheld-basic.com/dl_try.php

HTH

JPA
    The HB++ team