Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Hi. I was reading the multimedia forum section - lots of talk about ripping DVDs, converting them and watching them on the Treo. This sounds interesting. Does anyone have Mac software to recommend for such an exploit?
    Check versiontracker.com

I would suggest looking at:

Mactheripper
    D-vision
    Popcorn
    And DVDremaster, use that to compress the image to fit on standard (4.xGB) DVD's (after you rip it).
    handbrake
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. When I downloaded Kinoma I noticed their info for Producer 3. Anyone using this to compress the files for playback on the Treo?
    I use a three step solution.
    Mac The ripper (Free) rips the dvd's and stores them on the disk.
    DVD2oneX (Not Free) compresses the dual layer dvd to the size of a single dvd. I use this program to create a disk image (4.7GB) of the DVD. I also usually delete unecessary language localizations.
    Disk Utility (Utilitiesisk Utility) burns this .img file to a dvd
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    DVD Backup
    DVD2oneX

Thats what I use and have had no problems. I also use handbrake for creating MPG from DVDs
    Treo 600 - Verizon | G5 1.8 Ghz DP | 1998 BMW M3
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Downloaded Handbrake last night and started a rip before I hit the sack. This morning, it says it's 100% completed but it's still running and the only options are "pause" and "cancel." Anyone else had this problem and how do I avoid it?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Nevermind. While it was still running, the converted file is on the desktop. I just did a force quite. The movie looks great. Now, I'll try Kinoma Producer to fit it to the Treo.
    dont bother with kinoma... just use quicktime to do it... its easy
    I just use Handbrake (excellent) and Quicktime to do the whole job...
    "If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier - just so long as I'm the dictator."
    George W Bush

"The victor will never be asked if he told the truth"
    "Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it"
    Adolf Hitler

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts"
    Abraham Lincoln
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Thanks. I'll bypass Kinoma. I also realized (duh!) that I have apple's Compressor ap also. I tried it but have had some issues getting it to start the compression. I'll try plain old quicktime next.
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonnigel
    dont bother with kinoma... just use quicktime to do it... its easy
    I just use Handbrake (excellent) and Quicktime to do the whole job...
    I have been experimenting with Handbrake. What settings do you use to make the movies suitable for the Treo?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    You can use kinoma or QT to resize it to your screen (320).
    There's a write up for QT that covers the stepsor in Kioma there shoudl be default settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I have been experimenting with Handbrake. What settings do you use to make the movies suitable for the Treo?
    I dont use handbrake to make files for the Treo

I use handbrake to rip the DVD onto my hard drive
    then I use Quicktime Pro to downsize the movie into a .3gp file to play on the Treo 650
    "If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier - just so long as I'm the dictator."
    George W Bush

"The victor will never be asked if he told the truth"
    "Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it"
    Adolf Hitler

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts"
    Abraham Lincoln
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I used QT after Handbrake. My original file was 720x400 and the only 320 size option in QT was 320x240 but I think I lost some widescreen aspect ration and the image looks a little "squished" horizontally. Am I just seeing things?
    will this software work with a external dvdrw?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    OK, here's my rundown. I used Handbrake to rip the DVD to MP4. I then followed the suggestions above for using QT to make a 3GP file. However, I already have Kinoma which will play AAC audio, so in the audio settings for the export I chose this option (incidentally, the QCELP option was grayed out). This seemed to work well - allowed use of the smaller file size but gave decent audio.