1.    #1  
    i just bought a treo 650 online and it is locked how do i unlock it? do i have to go to the cingular carrier? or did i just get jacked...
    Do a search in this forum and you'll find out the information you need
    Quote Originally Posted by southcalihds
    i just bought a treo 650 online and it is locked how do i unlock it? do i have to go to the cingular carrier? or did i just get jacked...
    Locked as in having a password lock, locked as in having the SIM locked, or locked as in the device being locked for a specific carrier?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Locked as in having a password lock, locked as in having the SIM locked, or locked as in the device being locked for a specific carrier?

well when i bought teh phone it said it was locked i bought it on ebay.. and wfrom what i haeav learned here it is locked meaning only for cingular and that is what i have, but when i chrage it i get a orange light instead of a green light.. so im just waiting for teh full 4 hours to be charged.. so do u think meaning locked but it is a cingular phone it should work should i reset it..
    A locked Cingular phone will have the Cingular logo on it. An unlocked phone will have the palmOne logo on it. If it was sold to you as locked, what makes you think you can unlock it? If it was sold to you as a phone locked to Cingular, you need to go to a Cingular store, sign up for a plan, and have them put in a new SIM for you. Then the phone will work fine.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  6.    #6  
    so even though ur saying i haev a cingular sim card and i out it in it wont work? the person who sold it to me said that all i have to do is put my old sim card in.. as far as problems this thing wont even charge its been charging for a long perods of hours already.. at first where it lites up was orange insteasd of greeen for taht batt indicator now it wont work.. or evn charge, so over all guess ur saying even though i have a old sim card with cungular it wont work i have to go get a new sim card? and also why isnt th ebatter y chraging up? thanks for aLL ur help greatly thanked...
    If you have a Cingular plan then your Cingular locked phone should work fine. Im assuming your plan is active. Try this: Put in your Cingular SIM card in the SIM tray and insert it, plug your charger into the device (a red light should show at the top), hold down the "end call" button until the radio connects... you should now be able to make calls if everything works out.

If your screen does not turn on after you plug in the charger and hold down the "end call" button then yes you got "jacked"
  8.    #8  
    nothing works man not even a red light.. guess i haev to do a charge back on that dude.. man cool phone though man .any one know where i can find another one with ouit getting jacked. thanks again for ur help peeps..
    Is this guy for real?
    I think what he's trying to say is the phone is *account* locked/blacklisted. In other words, the original owner welched on his phone bill, and when Cingular cut off his service and blacklisted the IMEI of his phone, he sold it on eBay.

Most wireless carriers (including Sprint and Cingular) do this to subsidy-locked phones whenever someone has skipped out on their bill. The idea is that in order for the phone to work again, SOMEONE has to cough up the cash to pay the overdue balance, and usually the onus gets put on the original owner to pay the bill if he wants the phone to be anything less than a paperweight. Problem is, these same people often sell on eBay to cheat an unsuspecting buyer and get cash for their worthless phone, leaving the buyer in the lurch.

On eBay, remember that it's buyer beware. If you want to buy a used phone off eBay, always ask for either the IMEI (if GSM) or the ESN (if CDMA) of the phone, and call the carrier that you plan on activating with to see if the phone is blacklisted. DO NOT BID on the phone if they say it's anything else but clear and currently unactivated.

Having the ESN/IMEI alone will NOT permit you to "clone" the phone or commit any sort of account fraud, and the carrier's customer service department does not and should not need to give you any account information relevant to the previous owner of that phone (except for whether the bills have been paid up or not). So the seller should be perfectly willing to give this number to you. If they refuse, then don't bid, regardless of how high their feedback might be.
  11.    #11  
    so no way for the phone to be active huh?
    not unless you get the person who sold it to do whatever he needs to do to get the phone off the blacklist. if it's a pas due balance, you could probably pay it off for him, but that could be a pretty steep price to pay for a used phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    I think what he's trying to say is the phone is *account* locked/blacklisted. In other words, the original owner welched on his phone bill, and when Cingular cut off his service and blacklisted the IMEI of his phone, he sold it on eBay.

Most wireless carriers (including Sprint and Cingular) do this to subsidy-locked phones whenever someone has skipped out on their bill. The idea is that in order for the phone to work again, SOMEONE has to cough up the cash to pay the overdue balance, and usually the onus gets put on the original owner to pay the bill if he wants the phone to be anything less than a paperweight. Problem is, these same people often sell on eBay to cheat an unsuspecting buyer and get cash for their worthless phone, leaving the buyer in the lurch.

On eBay, remember that it's buyer beware. If you want to buy a used phone off eBay, always ask for either the IMEI (if GSM) or the ESN (if CDMA) of the phone, and call the carrier that you plan on activating with to see if the phone is blacklisted. DO NOT BID on the phone if they say it's anything else but clear and currently unactivated.

Having the ESN/IMEI alone will NOT permit you to "clone" the phone or commit any sort of account fraud, and the carrier's customer service department does not and should not need to give you any account information relevant to the previous owner of that phone (except for whether the bills have been paid up or not). So the seller should be perfectly willing to give this number to you. If they refuse, then don't bid, regardless of how high their feedback might be.
    Nobody will give a Sprint ESN out. You can use it to steal phone service - it's not like the GSM ones where you also need the SIM card.

There's a common scam where people go around asking all the Sprint phone sellers on Ebay to send them an ESN so they can check it, then steal service off the phone or use it to sell a jacked phone to someone else. Don't give your ESN out to anybody if you are selling on Ebay (and don't expect to get answered if you ask someone else).
    could he pay one of these "unlocking companies" the $100 or whatever it costs to unlock the phone and then use tmobile with it or something?

:shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by southcalihds
    nothing works man not even a red light.. guess i haev to do a charge back on that dude.. man cool phone though man .any one know where i can find another one with ouit getting jacked. thanks again for ur help peeps..

Was this a used phone or a brand new one?

If this was used, you should return it to the seller and get a refund.

If this was new, was the box factory sealed or opened?

If this was opened, check with the seller as to why it was opened. Maybe this was opened to verify that the phone indeed works!

If this was factory sealed, call Cingular or PalmOne for support.

Check the make of your Cingular SIM Card.... read this thread for more information... http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=76198

According to the thread above, a GEMPLUS SIM card may not work with Treo 650!

So finally, instead of returning your phone, check the make of your SIM card. If it is GEMPLUS as stated in the above thread, get your SIM card replaced at a Cingular store near you.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by IamFromFuture; 03/04/2005 at 09:07 AM.