Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast
    Newbie question, I am looking at getting a Treo650 soon. Are most of the applications downloaded to your phone or do you run them off an SD card?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3523Treo
    Newbie question, I am looking at getting a Treo650 soon. Are most of the applications downloaded to your phone or do you run them off an SD card?
    It depends on the application. Some can't be run off the SD card. Others are fine. It'll usually say in the install notes whether the app can be installed onto the card or not.

It's really personal preference and depends on how much free memory you have on your Treo. Some apps run slower when on the card so people prefer to keep them in main memory. Personally, I put any app. that can go on the card on the card. This way I keep as much main memory free as I can.
    Hello fellow Chicagoan and welcome. You can do either one, depending on the application. Some require RAM installation (and the installation instructions will normally tell you so), but the majority can be run from the SD card. Sometimes you won't know unless you go through a little trial and error (moving an app to the SD card, trying to open it, moving it back to RAM if it doesn't work).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    What exactly is everyone's opinions on this software on the 650?
    I fixed the phone button.
    But, when I hot sync or wireless sync (VZW), the phone's native contact list does not sync with outlook contacts as it used to. Also, When I open beyond conatcts and open the contacts in it I cannot dial out from it. ???
    So why do I need It? Is there something I am missing?
    Is there another prog that improves on the native contacts that 650 comes with and syncs with outlook seamlessly?
    Thanks.
    Aviator,

Yes, I had the same problem as you. Beyond Contacts hijacked my green phone app, and replaced it with Beyond Contacts. As you already mentioned, the ResetPhone app works great in getting back the phone app. I now keep a copy of ResetPhone app both in my internal memory, and SD card too. I'm sure I'll need this again in the future.

As for being able to make phone calls directly through Beyond Contacts, you must go to Preferences within Contacts, and change View Mode to "Card View". Also, check the box "Enable Tap-Dialing". These 2 settings will allow you to make phone calls simply by tapping on a phone number. Works for me!

By the way, the names and address within Beyond Contacts is entirely a separate database from Palm's internal Contacts app. This is either good or bad, depending on your needs. Personally for myself, I like to use Beyond Contacts for keeping my business contacts, and Palm's internal Contacts for friends and family. The 2 databases do not co-mingle, and I prefer this method of separating my business and personal contacts.

Hope this helps, Casey.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I use most often:
    Pocket Tunes
    Audible w/Audible Air
    MobiTV
    KeyGTime+
    Colorize
    BrightCam

I use alot of the time:
    My Bible
    PdaNet
    Dir Assist
    Win-Hand
    I've never heard of these programs. What do they do?

Chatter
    DA
    Zlauncher
    SplashPhoto
    PocketTunes (what does it do that RealPlayer doesn't?)

Thanks
    First of all I have to say I love this app. Color coding in the Calendar, all my addresses, work and home. Now let me say I cannot understand how Palm still supplies the limited PIM thats built in!

Running 3.oo82 For those having problems with beyond contacts stealing buttons, go to the home sceen in the app, hit menu, select map handheld buttons and set everything to None. I do leave button 2 set to Calendar and simply by hitting that button can scroll through all my calendar views.

As for the contacts, that took me a while to find my workaround. The simple way they have in their software is not as simple as it should be. The setting is not on the phone but in hotsync on your computer.

Right or left click on the hotsync logo on your computer.
    Select "custom"
    Select "Beyond Contacts" and then select "change"
    Select "Contact Options" and then the "Enable Synchronization..." checkbox and you should be set to go. What they don't tell you even if you RTFM is that it takes two syncs to get everything both places.

I sync to 2 pcs and this setup has caused me some problems, so I unchecked that box and now every Friday run a regular hotsync and then go into custom and change BC to a one time "do nothing" and contacts to a one time "desktop overwrites handheld". The rest of the time my contacts are set to do nothing.
    Most apps get loaded to main memory on initial install. Some have options to move themselves to the card. Others like docs2go have a techtool that moves them to the card. Most you sue a utility like PowerRUN to move them to the card. And some, those that need to be 24/7 aware because they are moinitorng soemthiung, can't egt moved to the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastfrontier
    I've never heard of these programs. What do they do?

Chatter
    DA
    Zlauncher
    SplashPhoto
    PocketTunes (what does it do that RealPlayer doesn't?)

Thanks
    Chatter - http://www.chatteremail.com/
    DA - http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/
    Zlauncher - http://www.zztechs.com/en/zlauncher.php
    SplashPhoto - http://www.splashdata.com/splashphoto/
    PocketTunes - http://www.pocket-tunes.com/

Chatter provides push e-mail. E-mail is "pushed" to you rather than you having to hit "Get Mail". Significant memory footprint.

DA is what name Directory Assistant implies. It's a on line phone book.

ZLauncher is 3 things in one, a launcher, SD card manager and skinner. Skins and launcher are "look and feel" stuff. The SD card program manager duplicates the function of PowerRUN.

SPlashPhoto is a photo management app

PocketTunes offers more features than Real Player.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    PocketTunes offers more features than Real Player.
    ...and PocketTunes Deluxe includes (among other features) the ability to stream audio.
    I can't believe no one has mentioned PTools, or Ptoolsuite, or whatever it is. The only thing I use is the cursor. I can hold my mail button and a little cursor comes up that I can use to "tap on" anything on the screen.

Helps in non 5-way nav apps
    Quote Originally Posted by twocrifasis
    I can't believe no one has mentioned PTools, or Ptoolsuite, or whatever it is. The only thing I use is the cursor. I can hold my mail button and a little cursor comes up that I can use to "tap on" anything on the screen.

Helps in non 5-way nav apps
    Sound interesting, please find a link or the full name
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Sound interesting, please find a link or the full name

http://home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/

under other products - pToolSet

its kind of confusing to use so I was hoping someone was using something easier that yielded the same ability
    Thanks, plenty of reading material there
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    Verichat is great but resets for me everytime I use it. Anybody recommends a similar product without that problem?
    Really - try the latest version here ------ > http://pdaapps.com/verichat/downloadfile_real.html
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twocrifasis
    http://home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/

under other products - pToolSet

its kind of confusing to use so I was hoping someone was using something easier that yielded the same ability
    EZRocker?
    Okay, I just tried EZRocker, and it's (how shall I put this?) icky.

I like Ptool cursor app much better. It's much less "invasive" and easier to use once you get it loaded
    I tried it too, quite an "interesting" app.

The only trouble was that it took over the 5-way too much.

Which meant I then had trouble with Snap Calc, McPhling & KeyGuardTime+

So I stuck with them, and gave EZRocker a miss
    Thought of the day :
    I just got my treo 650, and am loveing it. I havent had any real problems. I was just wondering what are some progrmas that you must have installed on your treo. (besides the ones that make it run correct, I mean the extra programs, games, ptunes, ect.)
    Thats a good question!!

Anyone??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."