1.    #1  
    I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we post the best results we’ve been able to achieve on our mmplayer, kinoma, or other video files. Then the winner(s) can post how they’ve achieved them.

I’ll start. Using Kinoma Producer and PocketDivxEncoder, I’ve been able to get video files at:

Model: Sprint Treo 650
    Dimensions: 320x180
    Framerate: 24 fps
    Video Bitrate: 322
    Audio Bitrate: 65
    Filetype: MPEG-4

Can anybody top that?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by triacus
    I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we post the best results we’ve been able to achieve on our mmplayer, kinoma, or other video files. Then the winner(s) can post how they’ve achieved them.

I’ll start. Using Kinoma Producer and PocketDivxEncoder, I’ve been able to get video files at:

Model: Sprint Treo 650
    Dimensions: 320x180
    Framerate: 24 fps
    Video Bitrate: 322
    Audio Bitrate: 65
    Filetype: MPEG-4

Can anybody top that?
    How bout posting the results of this. I would love to see how it came out.
    I start with PocketDVD and encode my DVD. Then I run the .avi file through SmartMovie Converter on my PC. I watch the movie using SmartMovie.

I usually get:
    320x320
    24fps
    Video Bitrate: usually use 192 (works great)
    Audio Bitrate: anywhere from 48 to 64 (sounds great)
    File Type: xVid (not mpeg-4)

File size for a 2 hour movie: 144mb

Using SmartMovie. Audio/Video is in sync and I get the file size down by running the encoded movie through SmartMovie Converter on my desktop.
    I watch using Smartmovie as well but i convert with PocketDVD. Why do u like the Smartmovie converter as opposed to the PocketDVD?
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjocanadian
    I watch using Smartmovie as well but i convert with PocketDVD. Why do u like the Smartmovie converter as opposed to the PocketDVD?

I use PocketDVD initially to encode my DVD's. I usually have the setting set high to get the best quality. This usually results in a file around 500mb. That's too big. I then run it through SmartMovie Converter on my desktop. The quality is still great, but the file size is generally around 150 to 180mb when finished. At this size, I can carry several on my 1GB SD card as well as all the other apps and docs I have plus around 100 mp3 and still have space left.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    This sounds intriguing - I'm not currently watching movies on the Treo. Do you know if this software is available for the Mac? Also, I'd like to know someone's general opinion of watching a movie on their Treo - screen size too small? enjoyable? Thanks.
    I have not looked for a Mac version.

I use it a couple time a week. My mother does not drive anymore and I take her to her doctor's appointments. I watch a movie while we wait. I will say it took a little time to get used to the small screen, but now I don't have a problem watching it. I use my earpiece/phone headset and it works great. (I don't use headphones there so I don't have to have her named called several times because I can't hear.) I have made two trips since I have had my 650 and I have watched a movie on the plane each trip. I did use some noice cancelling headphones and the sound was great and I had no problem with the size. I had gotten use to the size by this time. I normally travel with my laptop, but no more.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. I'll hit the Mac forum to see if there's any info. Another question - do you know if someone makes headphones with the smaller connector to go into the Treo or do I have to buy an adapter?
    Usually, an adapter. I know Seidio makes a headphone/headset combination. I have one that I use occasionally. The mic is not so good. But, the headphones sound pretty good.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    triacus,

Can you also post the resulting file size, movie length, and time to run through the process?

I'm getting excellent results using pocketdivxencoder.

My settings are typically:

320-360k Video
    64k Stereo Audio 44khz
    320 x whatever
    2 pass
    my 2 hour movie winds up at 384mb's but the quality is excellent and the encoding time is around 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.

In my quest for smaller file sizes though I have switched to Dr. Divx and prefer it, even though the time to encode is double.

In Dr Divx. I'm using around 260-300k for video, 64k Stereo for audio. 2 pass with "Slow" option on (for highest quality) and the resulting file size is 285mb versus 384mb and I think the quality is really close. The only problem is the process takes 3 hours to run through.

Kevin R.
    The problem i have with Smartmovie converter is that you cant change the fps setting. I find that when im at 24fps it gets a bit choppy while at 20fps which i can change using pocketdvd, i get perfect video.
  12.    #12  
    kevroc,

The resulting file size for my posted file is 409.2 mb for a 147 min movie. I didn't time how long it took, but I would guess around it took around 3-4 hours (but I have a slow PIII 850 mHz computer). I actually up the video bitrate to around 400 with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie, and drop my resolution to 240 x 180 (but up my video bitrate to 400) for 4:3 aspect ratio files when I want smooth 24 fps vids.

I'll check my other settings when I get home tonight.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    triacus,

409mb for a 147min movie is pretty good should give you a pretty good quality video.

Are you converting using pocketdivxencoder and then re-encoding to mp4 using Kinoma? My results straight from pocketdivx seem to better than when going through kinoma. I know Kinoma is supposed to be better quality at lower file sizes, but I haven't experienced that. I've also tried Kinoma straight from DVD and have had some flaky experiences. Maybe I'll take another run at it.

Kevin R.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjocanadian
    The problem i have with Smartmovie converter is that you cant change the fps setting. I find that when im at 24fps it gets a bit choppy while at 20fps which i can change using pocketdvd, i get perfect video.

If you check the setting, "Reduce Frames" it works like a charm. No chop at all, Small file size, great audio/video sync, great video and audio quality.
    okay guys.

what causes audio/video to be out of sync?

I'm using kinoma and they seem to be slightly out of whack.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  16.    #16  
    kevroc,

I use pocketdivxencoder to reduce the file to 320 x whatever, and then Kinoma to convert to mp4. I also get choppy framerates when I bypass pocketdivxencoder and encode straight from say a DVD, so that's why I do that. Why do you "2 pass" on your settings?

Felipe,

I noticed that my movie files seem to get a little out of sync as I watch them, but I just pause the file briefly, and it syncs up again.
    If you are using MMplayer you can sync it while it is playing..... Just press the red phone button until you see "AV" displayed in red.... then press up or down untill your audio is synced up.
    not using mmplayer, but kinoma.

can mmplayer play and of the kinoma formats?

I basically converint mpg from beyond tv to view on my 650.

If mmplayer cant play the kinoma formats, what program can I use to convert an mpg to view with mmplayer?

I have a license for mmplayer, just have not installed it on my treo 650.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    not using mmplayer, but kinoma.

can mmplayer play and of the kinoma formats?

I basically converint mpg from beyond tv to view on my 650.

If mmplayer cant play the kinoma formats, what program can I use to convert an mpg to view with mmplayer?

I have a license for mmplayer, just have not installed it on my treo 650.
    I use pocketdivxencoder.... I used to use pocketdvd, but I found that pocketdivx has smaller file sizes for the same bitrate, and the audio level is much higher. This means you can vatch video without a headset if you like.