1.    #1  
    I just got my 650....today (unlocked...I am with ATT). Could some of you nice people recommend some of the "must have" software apps?

Any other tips I ought to know.

Also, I had heard that you could get a memory card from palm just for the asking? Is that true.

I am new at this so ANY help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Must haves partly depend on your wants.

However, my personal must have is PowerRun, which lets me load many of my programs onto my SD card. There are other personal faves of mine, but like i said, it depends on you. But if you plan on loading any amount of programs, you "must have" something like PowerRun or ZLauncher
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Search and you shall find. The P1 SD card offer is still valid.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for those replies.

I am using this in an effort to get organized and help me be more productive. It seemded like a good idea to have your calander, contact and phone all in the same place.

I had a handsping visor in the distant past and liked it. Kinda moved away from it when I figured I was carrying too many devices.

Any tips on using or managing apps. or appts that help you mange life would be apprciative.

All the best!
    One application that I have used for a couple of years is CryptInfo. It's a password and data security app. You can put all your logins, id's, accounts, pin's, codes, etc... in this utility and use just one password to access the application to view all the data. It's great if you have tons and tons of logins or are a security freak and use strong passwords all the time (that are far too difficult to remember). You can get a 30 day eval from
    http://www.normsoft.com and after that it's like $15. There are many others but I like CryptInfo. It comes with a desktop client as well so you can view all your secure data at the desktop as well as the palm.
    I agree, ZLauncher or PowerRun are necessities. Chatter E-mail for superb real time e-mail with IMAP accounts. There's pretty much something for every need you may have but be prepared to keep your wallet open.
    LauncherX is a good alternative to ZLauncher. There are also a few games which are good time wasters. I like Directory assistant and converter2. I also use PSSH (if you have a need for an ssh client that is pretty good). Many folks will say pocket tunes so you can listen to music. Though the built in Real player is fine with me. Filez has been useful (file manager). You will also probably want to tweak with apps like Butler, treo allegro, kblightsoff..... Just take a look around. I am still doing just that myself.
    Here's stuff you may wanna look at:

The stuff in Bold I have installed. The other stuff I have either looked at and discarded or haven't gotten to yet.

Adobe Reader 3.05 Adobe
    AlwaysOn 1.20 RPS
    AvantGo
    BackUpBuddyBundle 2.10 Blue Nomad
    BackupBuddyPro 2.1.0.0 Blue Nomad
    BackUpBuddyVFSPro 3.07 Blue Nomad
    Battery Doctor 2.30 Evans Software
    BrightCam 0.60 TreoWare
    Butler 1.62 Hobbyist Software
    CallFilter 1.20 Velocityware
    CardKeeper 1.00 Douglas Anderson
    Cardspeed 1.20 Audacity Audio
    CleanUp 3.37b Northglide
    ClockPop5 5.01b1 S. Millman
    Converter 2.20 M. March
    CradleCare 2.30 GoTreo Software
    Crash 2.11 79bmedia
    DayCalc 1.50 JarDesign
    DateCalc 1.00 JarDesign

Destallerpro 1.40 RoGame Software
    DiddleBug 2.90.b.4 DiddleBug
    Diet&ExerAss't (Palm) 6.00 Keyoe
    Directory ***'t 3.00 Rick's Software
    DocsToGo 7.02 datViz

DualDate 1.00 PalmOne
    DueYesterday 5.2.1 No Sleep Software
    EasyCalc 1.22 Ondrej Palkovsky
    eWallet 4.01
    FieldPlus 2.20 Asel Ronglie
    Fileman 3.10 Bits 'n Bolts Software
    FileZ 6.50 No Sleep Software
    FlightStatus 1.01 Andrew Faber

FlyBackup 1.70 FlyZip
    FlyZipXR 3.20 FlyZip
    FuelRecord 1.20 Anthony Kruize
    GraffitiAnywhere 1.5.6 Thierry Escande
    HandyShopper 2.9b Christopher Antos
    HandZipper 1.2.1 Handwatch
    IconManager 1.6b Christopher Antos
    Initiate 1.30 Hobbyist Software
    KB Lights Off 1.01 LilApps
    Kidschore 1.00 PDA SoftNet
    LauncherX 1.10 Little Mobile Creations
    LEDOff 0.2.1 J.F.Morreeuw
    MegaLauncher 5.50 Megasoft
    Metro 5.2.8 Patrice Bernard
    MiniBar 2.10 Ray Vanderborght
    MultiWatch
    MyCar 5.10 Rahul Jain
    NeatFreakPak 3.37b Northglide
    NotifyMe 1.8 Beta Quickster
    OnCradleOn 0.10 Kenta Cho
    PalmPuke 0.50 Karl-Konig Konigsson
    PDAReach 1.50 JuneFabrics
    Pocket Express Handmark
    Pocket Exp. Maps & 411 Handmark
    Pocket Exp. Movies Handmark
    Pocket Exp. Sports Handmark
    Pocket Exp. Weather Handmark
    Pocket Exp. & Stocks Handmark
    PowerRun 1.30 YAMADA Tatsushi
    Rogame Util. Bundle 1.80 RoGame Software
    ScaretheDog 1.00 Fabian Heuweiser
    ShortCut5 1.50 Mark Tamura
    SilkScreen 2.70 RoGame Software
    Softick Card Export 2.16 Softick
    SoundRec 1.05 Infinityball
    SpaceTime 1.50 Two Stunads & Co
    Stoic 1.0a Softonic
    Stop3Watch 2.20 Alfred Leung
    Sync All 1.4.1 Sebastian Laiblin
    Thumbscan 1.06 Headrush
    TideTool 2.20 Toolworks
    TimeSyncXT 1.01 HandyDev

TimeWhiz 1.61 Jan Hammer
    TipPro 1.60 PDA SoftNet
    TrackerDog 2.11 A0Soft
    TreoAlarm 0.95 SoftwareTrenches

TreoGuard 1.7.03 GeakWare
    TreoSelectText 4.10 Ranosoft
    Versamail 3.0Ag5
    Vindingo 2.00 Vindingo Studios
    VoiceDial 2.00 Voicesignal
    Wassup 1.4.4 Pocket Science
    Uninstall Manager 2.70 Northglide

WinHand 5.19 MT Impossible
    ZLauncher 5.10 ZZTechs
  9.    #9  
    Thanks again...at the risk of showing my "newbie-ness," what does ZLauncher or PowerRun do?

Same question about Butler, treo allegro, kblightsoff.

Also, I am trying to find, with little success the SD card offer. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks for all of the help. Looks like I ahve a lot of homework and a steep learnign curve in front of me.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman_007
    Also, I am trying to find, with little success the SD card offer. Can someone point me in the right direction.
    Read this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman_007
    Thanks again...at the risk of showing my "newbie-ness," what does ZLauncher or PowerRun do?

Same question about Butler, treo allegro, kblightsoff.

Thanks for all of the help. Looks like I ahve a lot of homework and a steep learnign curve in front of me.
    Well, like you say, you're a newb, but thats okay. You'll soon find that once you load any amount of programs onto your Treo, you'll run low on RAM You only have 32MB to begin with (about 23MB available), and due to the Treos new File System (which the T5 also uses), programs take more space.

If you really want to be a geek, read about the file system here.

To free up RAM, you'll want to load programs (where possible) to your SD card. But the Treo won't run programs on its own from the card. This is where PowerRun or ZLauncher come in. PowerRun is made specifically to do just that. Move programs to your card, so that they may be run. Zlauncher does this as well, but also has a file browser as well as gives your Treo a facelift. You can use themes with ZL to liven the interface.

PowerRun will load and run your programs with the basic Palm interface, or will work with other launcher programs, which is why I prefer it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for that explaination..i aprreciate all the help I can get.

Anymore is welcome!!!!
    You will need something to run programs off a card. There are two big camps on launcers (LauncherX - Simple and effective, Zlauncher - More bells and whisltles) as well as powerrun. I think you will at a minimum need one of those.

Other software all depends on your needs.

Your best bet is to look at some of the other forums such as general software and untilities. There are some threads about what apps you have. Look at what people have and see what it does.

There really is no set answer for this. All depends on needs. There are threads on games and email programs, the date book, Instand messanger and sms options. There are also topics for chaning ringtons and modifying the default behavior of the LED. There are just a tone of options and it all depends on what you want to do with the device.
    All apps I currently have installed are listed here: http://www.kalelrojin.com/mypalm.htm The ones in red are not compatible yet but as soon as they are they will be installed next. Which ones that are installed in RAM and that are stored on SD are noted.
  15.    #15  
    Wow! Thankd for all of that. My leaning curve si still steep. The butler thing looks really cool. I am trying to get it all together.

Thanks again
    Is CrashPRO shareware or freeware?
    ###