Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    The problem that many people have (and this includes, btw, some folks at P1 IMO) is realizing that, now that P1 is in the cell-phone business, P1s real customers are the carriers. Sprint, Cingular and the like are the ones that are buying the Treos and even funding development, so they call the shots. For the most part, the "end user" is no longer P1's customer. If P1 "gave up" its distributors (the carriers) they would be out of business tomorrow.
    Beautiful Post, the whole damn thing!...

Maybe all compaints should go to the carriers... The carriers are clearly the ONLY customer Palm listens to...

Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    Brain death.... hey GWB, do you believe the responses here? LOL

Message to Supplicators: If I offer to ship you a freeze-dried dog turd branded "PalmOne" would you give me a few hundred bucks for it... but wait, there's more... I'll even throw in this handy dandy car charger.

... sure beats sending PalmOne a clear message that might make them change their ways doesn't it?

A few hypothetical questions: Is it possible that the un-availability or possible future un-availability of the Treo650 to new, first time buyers is/will be due to the overwhelming demand by existing customers returning their first, second and third "defective" or "buggy" units... And what is that going to do to PalmOne's bottom line? How long do the carriers deal with this BS before they finally pull the plug? Do you think they go through this much hassle with most other phones?

Rah Rah Rah GO PALM GO Rah Rah Rah

LOL
    See first quote... hopefully you will/have read entire post... this guy clearly has given food for thought.

All of us would like more/better... but give Palm slight credit for having the best available now... do you have a better device option...today?

Answer to Hypothetical: If there are enough returns of the primary device which a company produces... Company goes away.... Carriers will buy devices from other manufacturers.... Market takes care of the problem.... We all use PPC's.

I'm not interested in the PalmOne turd (no doubt they screwed that up too!), but the tundycentral turd sounds pretty good... you certainly seem to be laying many of them here... you must have quite a deal to offer on those by now....

I actually like the thread you started... it's sometimes good to vent and let others empathize with your frustrations (I have some of them too)... Complain to your carrier... write a letter (or start a petition!)... don't use the device (or at least don't buy one from the company your complaining about - YOUR supporting them!)... be productive and/or constructive... negative (turd test) is neither.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    See what I mean?
    the 650 is still better than the 600 screen, speed, features. Dont get me wrong I have already sent me emails to P1 for missing the mark. And I have my share of P1 flames for WiFi and BT, Weak IR, Loose Battery cover keyboard too bright without an adjustment., no reset hole, Need for hacks to get more memory and just plain memory.

Do you think if Handspring were still around the 650 would have been a better product? the Tre300 minus the broken flip was a very good device for its time.
    I think that P1 is tring to live off the coat tails of the HS designers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhas
    All of us would like more/better... but give Palm slight credit for having the best available now... do you have a better device option...today?
    Can't say there's a better concept than the TREO 650 out there, but looks like a half dozen or so possibilities are coming soon, like the Samsung i730 and the HP 6500, and there are some PalmOS telephones coming out soon as well.

I say concept because the execution is not what it should have been. I mean, whose stupid idea was the stunted, though elephantine memory crud? (See my incredibly funny post above on that topic... ) And all the resets and incompatibilities and sound problems and other stuff... Yeah, a majority of people ain't having problems, but a really significant number ARE having problems, and we all know that sometimes you can win with somewhat less than a majority of the vote!

Where the HE!! is PalmOne???????? Why won't they talk to us????
    <shouting at the top of my lungs...>
  4.    #24  
    LOL... GWB, jeffhas, treobk24, njchris, omikron & tbhausen... y'all are all right by me...

... pda/phone wise, compatibility with 3rd party apps... overall usability... the 600 wins over the 650... crappy screen, camera and all.

... anyone who says otherwise, is a die-hard treo hobbyist, not a busy professional...

... at any rate, they're lying to themselves... and this too shall pass.

Thank you guys.
    Best answer to all this: Nokia 6620... p1, take a long, careful look over your shoulder. This thing's one QWERTY keyboard away from being a true treo-killer, and it was released six months prior. I'm going to give my 650 a fair chance, but it'll be a tough battle. I see one platform going one direction, and the other going, well, the other. Can you guess which is which?

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    The bottom line is that P1, for better or worse, is different now. They are more like Samsung and Moto and LG who, for the most part, don't deal directly with the end-user but with their customers, the carriers. Now, because of that system, I wound up with a 650, with all my carrier discounts, quite cheap. Indeed, without the carrier calling the shots, there may not even have been a 650. But there are most certainly, for the end-user, many tradeoffs.
    That is true to a certain extent, but the level of carrier control isn't quite as total as you outline. Particularly in Europe there is a large market for pay as you go phones with no carrier subsidy. All of the smaller manufacturers are behooven to the carriers but the larger companies such as Nokia have more freedom. For my nokia phone, I call the nokia careline if I have a technical problem (other than reception difficulties), rather than calling the network. At the end of the day Palmone still want to sell lots of units and they won't get more orders from the carriers if the public doesn't like the phone. Many features that should have been included such as contacts/calender integration and bluetooth headset compatible voice dialing have no bearing on carrier services/profitability.
    drbob
  7.    #27  
    Have you noticed how PalmOne has no trouble cranking out emailed Palmgear promotions on a more or less daily basis?

It's good to know they're ambitious about something!
    PalmGear ain't PalmOne. No relationship at all.....
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    I had a 600 for a short stint and now a 650 unlocked GSM. It's fantastic. No complaints. You can armchair quarterback all you want, but until you create something better than all you're doing is whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    LOL... GWB, jeffhas, treobk24, njchris, omikron & tbhausen... y'all are all right by me...

... pda/phone wise, compatibility with 3rd party apps... overall usability... the 600 wins over the 650... crappy screen, camera and all.

... anyone who says otherwise, is a die-hard treo hobbyist, not a busy professional...

... at any rate, they're lying to themselves... and this too shall pass.

Thank you guys.
    Yeah, I can see how busy of a professional you are by how often you post here. Tundy, do you get any work done, or is criticizing PalmOne your profession?
    Quote Originally Posted by ddahorton
    Yeah, I can see how busy of a professional you are by how often you post here. Tundy, do you get any work done, or is criticizing PalmOne your profession?
    And Mr. GWB seems to live here.....and yet doesn't actually own a 650!!!! He needs to go back to ruining the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    And Mr. GWB seems to live here.....and yet doesn't actually own a 650!!!! He needs to go back to ruining the country.
    Hope you enjoy your IRS audit. And by the way, you've been drafted!
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Hope you enjoy your IRS audit. And by the way, you've been drafted!
    Sorry....too OLD to be drafted.
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    Sorry....too OLD to be drafted.
    Not if you live in a blue state.
  15.    #35  
    10 minutes in the morning, 10 - 15 in the evening and if it's a web publishing day maybe mid-day and yup... busy as a one-legged man in an *** kicking contest... 16 hours a day, pretty much 7 days a week... it truly sucks sometimes but thanks for your concern.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12