1.    #1  
    I have had a Cingular Treo 650 for several weeks now. Yes, there seems to be significant confusion on their part for which unlimited data plan you need to be on.

I was originally signed up on a Blackberry plan in the store. Then it was corrected and I was able to surf the web just fine. Then my 1st invoice came: an extra $60 in per use data usage. So then they corrected & credited and then my data didn't work. Most customer no-service reps said that I needed to be on a Blackberry expressmail plan. You get a different answer with everyone you talk to.

Finally I was bumped over to the data troubleshooting dept. YOU NEED TO BE ON A PDA DATA PLAN FOR $39.

She walked me through phone network settings (settings are case sensitive):

<Prefs / Communication / Network>

Click on <Modify> to change from Lock -> Unlock

Service: Cingular GPRS Copy
    Connection: GPRS
    User Name: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    APN: isp.cingular

Then click on <Details>

Fallback: Cingular CSD

Click on <Advanced>

IP Address: Automatic (checked)
    Query DNS: (checked)

After these settings were done, I could now surf and check email again. However, my office is in the basement, so signal isn't great and speeds are typically slow.

I will continue testing. Thank you to the rep who did figure it out, she was both gracious & helpful). No thanks to the others that didn't know what was going on.

I believe that these settings may confirm some of the Bluetooth DUN settings that people are looking for.

Have other people had to make similar changes?

Ciao! (I may look Italian but I'm not... I'm Chinese!)
    The PDA unlimited data plan doesnt include text or multimedia messages, does it? That can get really expensive then. whew!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHH! So much bad info out there! You're paying too much... The $25 plan is fine. Settings should be:

APN: WAP.CINGULAR
    Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
    Password: CINGULAR1

You'll get full speed and functionality on the 650 this way, with the exception you'll have a NAT IP address rather than a "real" IP address. This means you can't VPN with the 650 using the WAP APN, because NAT causes problems with PPTP. If you don't need VPN, change your plan and save some money.

I can't believe how much misinformation and disorganization Cingular CSR's can generate.

Todd/Indy
    You are right, Cingular seems very disorganized, but they are also trying to respond to customer requirements. I am sure there are many customers that got the $25 plan wanting to use VPN, and called up there and yelled and screamed because it wouldnt work. The problem you have is that you may have middle level marketing managers who probably dont understand the difference between VPN and UPN (the TV network) so they hear some techie say "they need an IP so they need the $40 plan" and they run with it. Someone with enough authority and knowledge needs to straighten this stuff out, lay down the law, and put a memo out to the CSRs and Tech support folks to make sure everyone is on the same page. Sad.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I have been on the 19.99 unlimited for a few months now with my MPX220 and now my Treo 650. Both were "supposed" to have the PDA data plan. I have NEVER had any other data charges other than the 19.99 EVER show up on my bill. I use Xpress mail (24hours a day), Versimail (8-6 M-F), and surf the internet (in my down time) and get text, mms...... You get the picture. No VPN here so I am staying put with what I have.
    Neither of the configs listed here work on my unlocked Treo 650 with a Cingular KIC prepay service. I get connecting... then signing on... which changes from an open book icon to a handshaking one and then after a long pause.... nothing. I have a good signal on the Cingular network.

If I put in my UK O2 SIM card it works perfectly first time.
    Is the $25/month plan for unlimited data? Does this also include text/SMS messages and the like? When I called Cingular, they said there was no longer an unlimited data plan. When I asked about PDAs, the rep quoted me $39.99 as mentioned above. What is the $25 one called?

Thanks.
    I'm just wondering what the difference is between WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM and ISP.CINGULARGPRS.COM, etc.

Is ISP faster by any chance? I've had WAP, etc. for a couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxie
    Is the $25/month plan for unlimited data? Does this also include text/SMS messages and the like? When I called Cingular, they said there was no longer an unlimited data plan. When I asked about PDAs, the rep quoted me $39.99 as mentioned above. What is the $25 one called?

Thanks.
    $24.99: Unlimited MediaNet. Know though, that it is strictly a data plan, and does not come bundled with SMS or MMS.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    I don't think you can get data with prepaid service. may be wrong, but I don't know of a carrier that offers this. why not just go month to month without a contract (postpaid)?
    isp.cingulargprs is not any faster than wap.cingulargprs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpike
    I'm just wondering what the difference is between WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM and ISP.CINGULARGPRS.COM, etc.

Is ISP faster by any chance? I've had WAP, etc. for a couple of years.
    isp.cingulargprs.com gives you a REAL internet IP address, and does not block VPN ports.

wap.cingulargprs.com gives you a natted address, something like 10.X.X.X so you can only make outgoing connection, and VPN functionality does not appear to work. That's the difference in what you are paying for.

Both are TCP/IP with different intentions in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    isp.cingulargprs.com gives you a REAL internet IP address, and does not block VPN ports.

wap.cingulargprs.com gives you a natted address, something like 10.X.X.X so you can only make outgoing connection, and VPN functionality does not appear to work. That's the difference in what you are paying for.

Both are TCP/IP with different intentions in mind.
    can those with the $19.99 or the $24.99 unlimited medianet packages have access to the isp.cingulargprs.com address, or must they be on the "pda" data packages?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    must be pda package or have feature "wix data connect" on cingular account

Todd/Indy
    Here is my 2 cents. I bought T650 in Feb05 w/PDA connect plan(44.99 didn't have voice plan, therefore, 5 dollars more). The phone used WAP.CINGULARGPRS connection and had a NAT IP address. I changed to the old Media Works plan (19.99$ with 1500SMS + 200MMS). I still have NAT IP address. There was no difference in surfing.
    Oops, I mis-stated. The non-NAT plan is for the data cards (GC-82) and costs $80/month. Some hofo'ers say they have the "wix data connect" feature and can access both APN's.

Todd/Indy
    What are the settings people are using to connect with Cingular? I tried using the ones from Shadowmite's website, but I get a message on my phone that says "Unknown Application" when I try to dial.

The settings I used were:

Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
    Password: cingular1
    Phone Number: **99****1#

Is my phone number wrong?
    it's wrong.

*99***1#