1.    #1  
    Serious question:
    What do you think: How difficult would it be do turn the TREO into an iPod by doing an iPod user interface and (which would be a bit more difficult) by integrating a xGB harddrive into the TREO?
    If this is possible then, I think, the TREO could beat the iPod (or Apple might be forced to buy out PalmOne).

Any opinions?
    difficult as in something you would do yourself? Or difficult for P1 or Apple?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I think he means P1 or Apple, would be pretty much impossible to do on you own (size and space avail inside body)
  4.    #4  
    Difficult for P1? I think, if they could do it, it would be worth a try as a TREOiPOD would be much better than just an iPOD.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Let's have them perfect the Treo first eh? I mean don't get me wrong, I love mine. I would just rather they put the $ into improving BT, Memory, and Sound Qual before they add something else. Though I have to say if Apple got in the mix, there wouldn't be as many issues...
    Sooner or later it's bound to be later...
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I am curious if they would be able to keep the size of the unit to a minimum. Probably if the just added a 5g hard drive.

It seems to me that palm should just add perminant(Spelling?) 2g sd cards to the unit. Then you could have a treo and 1/2 an ipod mini.

I wonder as the size of sd cards grows to 2-3-4-5gig and beyond that the ipod as we know it will become extinct?

imho
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I've been thinking since the iPod Mini came out, that incorporating a teeny hard disk into PDAs is just around the corner. For some reason, it just hasn't happened. However, it would be nice to have a much bigger lump of Flash RAM in there for this sort of use. Considering the physical size of CF cards, with capacity up to 4Gb, it doesn't seem unreasonable to have this sort of RAM incorporated into a Treo for a thickness increase of about 3mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ucsbwalker
    I think he means P1 or Apple, would be pretty much impossible to do on you own (size and space avail inside body)
    Thats why i asked!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjd
    I've been thinking since the iPod Mini came out, that incorporating a teeny hard disk into PDAs is just around the corner. For some reason, it just hasn't happened. However, it would be nice to have a much bigger lump of Flash RAM in there for this sort of use. Considering the physical size of CF cards, with capacity up to 4Gb, it doesn't seem unreasonable to have this sort of RAM incorporated into a Treo for a thickness increase of about 3mm.
    The main reason has been battery life. Spinning a platter takes a lot more power than reading from solid state memory. Now add a telephone to that mix!

Actually, I think the real main reason is reliability. People expect to be able to drop a phone and pick it up and have it work. This works great with your basic Nokia, and Palm is trying to get there. Hard drives tend to break when you drop them. Samsung and others have been doing research into solving the problem, but that is why most of the latest and greatest Japanese cell phones don't have hard drives.

Incidentally, some promising research going on at Apple is to include an accelerometer in the hard drive and when it detects a rapid acceleration, it assumes it is falling and pulls the head off the disk.

In the mean time, SD cards are not going from 1, to 2, to 3, to 4 GB. They are going from 1 to 2 to 4 to 8 to 16 and in a couple of years a solid state Ipod Mini will be feasible.
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    Actually, I think the real main reason is reliability. People expect to be able to drop a phone and pick it up and have it work. This works great with your basic Nokia, and Palm is trying to get there. Hard drives tend to break when you drop them. Samsung and others have been doing research into solving the problem, but that is why most of the latest and greatest Japanese cell phones don't have hard drives.

Incidentally, some promising research going on at Apple is to include an accelerometer in the hard drive and when it detects a rapid acceleration, it assumes it is falling and pulls the head off the disk.

In the mean time, SD cards are not going from 1, to 2, to 3, to 4 GB. They are going from 1 to 2 to 4 to 8 to 16 and in a couple of years a solid state Ipod Mini will be feasible.
    Actually, I have a 4GB MD in my Pocket PC. Very durable. I've dropped my Toshiba a few times, and my first panic is over the display.

At any rate, cell phones (until now) haven't had a need for hard drives. Is anyone really going to fill up 4GB worth of polyphonic ringtones? I suppose now with picture phones become more popular, there may be a need. But unless you have one of those silly Nokia nGage devices, there's really not been a need for a hard drive in a phone.