1.    #1  
    I just wanted to let you all know that there is a major issue with the Treo 650 and Intellisync.

My employer just began supporting the Treo 650 as a mobile email client via Intellisync. Prior to the 650, we were using the Treo 600 without any problems. For those of you unfamilar with Intellisync, it basically syncs the calendar, address book, notes and email between the treo and Outlook, wirelessly (similar to Goodlink / BB client except it uses the built-in databases).

Prior to installing the Intellisync software, I was having very few reset issues with both my Cingular (Gemplus 64k) and T-mobile (Gemplus 12 months old) sims. Now, the device resets like crazy. Random resets, inconsistent resets when selecting a contact or email. Very frustrating.

Will conduct a hard reset and re-install one by one. If interested, I will report back.

Bottom line: Palm One needs better quality control!
    petemeister,

I would be very interested in the results of your tests.

Keep in mind Intellisync is NOT a palmOne product. They license it from a third party company (Chapurra) for basically historical reasons. However, I don't believe they even ship it with thier new products anymore because they have thier own.

We do have a few people in our office that use that software as well and have also seen issues. Couldn't quite track down who the culprit was so if you do that would be a great head start.
  3.    #3  
    Dang,

I will update you on my progress. I wasn't aware that chapurra licensed Intellisync. Funny, when I called them (Chappura) to inquire about Key Suite compatibilty, they had know idea what I was talking about. Imagine Keysuite synching with Intellisync wirelessly??? Having all those fields, etc??? At least that is my dream.

Back to reality........ Treo 600 & Intellisync worked great together. 650 not so great. I have been discussing the issues with my IT dept. More to come.

Pete
    Pete,

Sorry I was a bit off yesterday. Chapura makes Pocket Mirror and Key Suite. For some reason I confused Pocket Mirror and Intellisync, sorry about that.

Still looking forward to your finds though....

Dang
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    We use Intellisync here at my work too. I did run into one problem like you said. Something happened and everytime I tried to sync it would reset. I had to reinstall the software, no biggie. Are you sure your company is running the latest version? There is a new one out now that says Intellisync on everything. The old version said Synchrologic. Plus in the new one all the icons and pics in the app are high res.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    We use Intellisync here at my work too. I did run into one problem like you said. Something happened and everytime I tried to sync it would reset. I had to reinstall the software, no biggie. Are you sure your company is running the latest version? There is a new one out now that says Intellisync on everything. The old version said Synchrologic. Plus in the new one all the icons and pics in the app are high res.

Joe
    My company is considering this solution for wireless email/calendar. How does it compare to Blackberry? Does it truly push email out one by one or does it synchronize similar to Xpressmail (which can take 15-45 seconds)?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers
    My company is considering this solution for wireless email/calendar. How does it compare to Blackberry? Does it truly push email out one by one or does it synchronize similar to Xpressmail (which can take 15-45 seconds)?
    The mail fetch / push is fast. Not as fast as BB; however, it far exceeds the BB capibilities IMO. I have used the BB 7280 as well as Goodlink (3.7) on my Treo 600. Intellisync uses the built-in address, calendar and notes/memo databases. This feature allows the user to use whatever PIM app they prefer. This is what I like about Intellisync.

In response to the version question, yes we have just upgraded to the latest build. I just received my new notebook. I will install a fresh version of the client/desktop app; perform a hard reset and install the client on my 650. I will then install my apps one at a time and let Outlook update my contacts, calendar, email and notes.

I really want this to work.

More to come....

Apps used:

Agendus 9.03
    2Day
    Daynotez
    JFile
    Docs to go 7 pro
    Quote Originally Posted by petemeister
    The mail fetch / push is fast. Not as fast as BB; however, it far exceeds the BB capibilities IMO. I have used the BB 7280 as well as Goodlink (3.7) on my Treo 600. Intellisync uses the built-in address, calendar and notes/memo databases. This feature allows the user to use whatever PIM app they prefer. This is what I like about Intellisync.
    Thanks Pete - I just got a trial version installed on my Cingular unlocked T650. It is a much better solution than Xpressmail.

I'm happy with it so far.

BTW, I had all kinds of reset problems with the Gemplus 64k sim. I mean multiple slow downs a day to the point where it needed to be reset. Voicemail number messed up (all 0's). I replaced the sim card and I've had no problems and no resets in the last 3 days. That may be your problem.
    Intellisync has only certified v6.2 on the 650. Waiting out IT guys to upgrade from v5.4. It really sucks I have the hardware and can not get my email. Still using the 600 for now.
    Pilot 1000 >> PalmIII >> Palm IV >> Samsung I300 >> Kyocera 6035 >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> BB 8700c
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tfa675
    Intellisync has only certified v6.2 on the 650. Waiting out IT guys to upgrade from v5.4. It really sucks I have the hardware and can not get my email. Still using the 600 for now.
    Update:

Did a hard reset, installed Palm software on a new notebook PC then Intellisync software and client. It took but just 2 hours before it reset on its own. In fact, it is just as bad if not worse than before.

Does anyone know if the T-mobile Gemplus sim card is the culprit???

Email works great, sync works great, etc.
    Intellisync is the only software I have ever returned for my money back. Did that with the Palm Vx.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Intellisync is the only software I have ever returned for my money back. Did that with the Palm Vx.
    Are we talking about the same software? The Intellisync version I am referring to is an enterprize solution similar to the Blackberry or Goodlink. I happen to like the concept of Intellisync because it uses the built in address, calendar, todo and notes databases. This allows the user to use any PIM software he or she seems appropriate. Tell me more about the issues you had with Intellisync.
    Are we talking about the same software? The Intellisync version I am referring to is an enterprize solution similar to the Blackberry or Goodlink. I happen to like the concept of Intellisync because it uses the built in address, calendar, todo and notes databases. This allows the user to use any PIM software he or she seems appropriate. Tell me more about the issues you had with Intellisync.
    I like it. It has some flaws. Haven't figured out how to do a corporate directory lookup.

It is certainly much better than Xpressmail. It does push email out one-by-one without synch'ing like Xpressmail. You can download Microsoft documents into Docs2Go. It uses the built-in DB for calendar unlike Xpressmail and it also gives you the ability to wirelessly sync contacts and tasks.

You should call them up and sign up. There's a 30 day money back guarantee and it's only $300/user per year. It took me about 10 minutes to set everything up and I was getting email on my 650.

The biggest problem I'm having has to do with battery life. I unplug the T650 at 8am and by 8pm I'm down under 20% battery life. This is making a fair amount of calls (20 or so). I also get about 100-150 emails per day.
    Last edited by adamrogers; 03/09/2005 at 08:19 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers
    I like it. It has some flaws. Haven't figured out how to do a corporate directory lookup.

It is certainly much better than Xpressmail. It does push email out one-by-one without synch'ing like Xpressmail. You can download Microsoft documents into Docs2Go. It uses the built-in DB for calendar unlike Xpressmail and it also gives you the ability to wirelessly sync contacts and tasks.

You should call them up and sign up. There's a 30 day money back guarantee and it's only $300/user per year. It took me about 10 minutes to set everything up and I was getting email on my 650.

The biggest problem I'm having has to do with battery life. I unplug the T650 at 8am and by 8pm I'm down under 20% battery life. This is making a fair amount of calls (20 or so). I also get about 100-150 emails per day.
    I am having the same battery life issues. Is your device resetting itself randomly? Looks like I will be buying a backup battery soon.
    I am having the same battery life issues. Is your device resetting itself randomly? Looks like I will be buying a backup battery soon.
    Not anymore.. it was when I had a gemplus SIM card. Since switching it out I rarely get resets.
    I use Sprint Business Connection PE and support a couple of Cingular 650's that use Xpressmail. (BizConn PE and Xpressmail are the same product by a company called Seven) If you go into Preferences, Schedule, you can check "Push messages to my device" and uncheck enable scheduled sync. You end up with one by one push e-mail. It does do a sync each time you send a message, which is a bummer. If you have to send a few replies or new messages, you can select send later on each one, then do a sync when you are finished with that batch - which makes the sync process slightly more workable. The point of my post though is that with preference settings you can achieve one by one push e-mail without doing a scheduled sync using Xpressmail or BizConn PE.
    Just to clarify the one question above - the Intellisync server product is NOT the same as the desktop sync stuff (which other folks like Yahoo and, interestingly/ironically, RIM, license). The server is indeed along the lines of BES, Goodlink, etc. Full wireless sync/push email, and it retains the native apps of the device being used.