Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So adam, what you are saying is (#2) when a call is received during an active data session, the data will pause and allow the call? Interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    GSM is inherently slower than CDMA. Most of the world uses GSM because it is cheaper to roll out and requires less signal repeaters than CDMA. But CDMA can carry far more bandwidth.

Many of the world's GSM networks were originally setup by government bodies looking for the cheapest option. While CDMA has come out more in areas where the market is more open for various wireless providers.

Also when considering Cingular versus Sprint you might want to consider the coverage/insurance plans available for the Treo 650. With Sprint you have Lockline as the only option and for $5 a month and $50 deductable it covers most anything (loss, theft, damage, defects). I don't know what Cingular has. If paying for the insurance is something you consider to be a rip-off then of course its not a factor.
    That may be true in a general sense but from I've experienced GSM and EDGE is faster then CDMA.. I've gotten about a 150% improvement in transfer rates..

PS I'm in the NYC area
    EDGE is faster than the previous versions of GSM so that may be true for now in some areas. As was mentioned many folks are finding that EDGE in their area is only able to match CDMA performance. But Sprint is in the process of rolling out their faster network as well.

Basically EDGE is a 3G release of GSM going up against what is really 2G CDMA (Vision is marketed to the public as 3G, but it really is not). The 3G CDMA networks will leave no debate. And the added bandwidth will allow for services no GSM network will be able to match.

If EDGE works better in your area you know what is best for you. But I wonder how GSM networks will survive once CDMA providers have full 3G networks.... Its gonna be ugly for them!
    Here's something to consider if you travel a lot. Even if its just in the USA. Of course GSM is more global, but what about US coverage?

US Cingular Coverage Map

US Sprint Coverage Map

Given CDMA rollout is more costly it is not spread out as much. (And considering Cingular and AT&T wireless merged.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    So adam, what you are saying is (#2) when a call is received during an active data session, the data will pause and allow the call? Interesting...
    Yes, that is correct. I've used Sprint's version of Xpressmail (called Business Connect) and while synch'ing your email and calendar it sends all callers to voicemail.

On the Cingular version, when it's in the middle of synchronizing, it will receive the call.
    I have used sprint for 7 years, the data is great. I have never had an issue with sprint ccustomer service, but I normaly go to the local sprint store with any problems that I can't work out myself.
    keocera 7035>> treo600>> treo650>>700p>>755
    Notalent, but I make up for it with lots of practice
    I've had Sprint for about 6 years. Up until about 8 months ago, their customer service was INFURIATING! ( I would regularly blow my stack at their incompetence and arrogance)... The only reason I stayed is that they seemed to get the best phones first.

There customer service has clearly improved ACCROSS THE BOARD... I have asked, and CSR's have said there was a change in policy and a new 'business attitude' they were instructed and trained to implement back around this time, and they are clearly better at trying to resolve your issue (although sometimes not technically-savvy to be able to). Sometimes you still get a PIA CSR, in which case you're best off to hang up and try another... but it doesn't happen often. I've seen a vast improvement, and it actually keeps getting better (or maybe it's just getting as good as the other carriers?).

For all of you with $15.00 a month vision... CALL CUST. SERVICE.... They can give you a $10.00 plan, and there are threads about this on TC... just call and ask... I did, and they gave it to me...easily... and recently (last 60 days) - That's $120.00 over a 2 year contract... helps to discount that T650 even more.

I do read that there seems to be more problems with the Sprint 650 than the Cingular, but mine works good, and most problems can be resolved here... but you may want to attempt classes in patience... you'll need plenty of it.

Data speed is OK for now, but looking forward to EVDO.... I think other carriers will be chasing 'em then.... good to be ahead of this game now for when it hits.

I hate that they dictate what our phone has available on it, and when we can have it, but I'm starting to realize that I am no longer Palm's customer...Sprint (and Cingular/Verizon, etc) is... I guess it'll take some getting used to.

Good Luck.
  8.    #28  
    Thank you again for all the advice.

So generally the synthesis is that EDGE is similar in speed to the standard CDMA data service provided by Sprint, but slower than EVDO. Sprint is getting ready to roll out a higher speed data network soon, as fast or faster than EVDO? Verizon has EVDO now.

SO...it looks like the edge in what I'm looking for, which is the ability to use the Internet on a laptop is going to be better served with a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon. Any idea if the Sprint 650s are going to be compatible with the new data network when it comes out? My guess is no because Sprint is waiting on a version of Verizon's Audiovox EVDO PocketPC PDAPhone.

Is this correct?

I never had any coverage problems with Sprint, and I don't now with Verizon. The only reason I left Sprint was for Bluetooth.

My fiance had Cingular and we DID have coverage issues, thats why we moved to Verizon (and paid to get out of her Cingular contract) but that seems to be better now after the merger with AT&T.

Sheesh, maybe I should just buy a Tungsten t5
    I have a Treo 650 both on Cingular and Sprint.

Sprint is better IMO in terms of service AND price. Sprint lets you have insurance, Cingular does not. Both carrier's customer service is pretty useless, especially in troubleshooting of PDA devices; but as you will come to learn TreoCentral is your best customer service!

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    I have seen EVDO mentioned a few times in this forum, but as far as I can tell the Treo 650 doesn't support it anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So buying a Sprint Treo now doesn't really put you "ahead of the game." You're still stuck with 1xRTT data until the next generation of Treo comes out and you're able to upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    EDGE is faster than the previous versions of GSM so that may be true for now in some areas. As was mentioned many folks are finding that EDGE in their area is only able to match CDMA performance. But Sprint is in the process of rolling out their faster network as well.

<snip>

If EDGE works better in your area you know what is best for you. But I wonder how GSM networks will survive once CDMA providers have full 3G networks.... Its gonna be ugly for them!
    While this is getting a little off topic, keep in mind that both CDMA and GSM carriers are advancing their data networks concurrently. While it is true that CDMA carriers (e.g., Sprint) are rolling out their next generation data networks in the form of EV-DO, GSM carriers (Cingular) are also rolling out their next generation data networks. That is, Cingular is not going to be sitting on EDGE.

EV-DO gives data bursts of up to 2.4Mbps, which is nearly 20 times as fast as EDGE. However, UMTS, the next step in data networks for GSM closes that gap by providing data burst rates of about 2.0Mbps.

And as far as the next generation beyond that, EV-DV (the successor to EV-DO) looks like it will have a peak data rate in the 3Mbps range, and HSDPA (the successor to UMTS) will have a peak data rate in the 10Mbps range, though some are saying that they may be able to push the peak data rates for HSDPA to as much as 14Mbps. (Note that these are all PEAK numbers. The typical throughput for mobile users will be MUCH lower.)

And I won't even get into the details about how HSDPA is backwards compatible with UMTS and EDGE, and the upgrade from UMTS to HSDPA can be accomplished by a software upgrade, where the upgrade from EV-DO to EV-DV requires new network hardware to be deployed by the carriers.

So that, IMHO, is how the GSM carriers will be able to "survive once CDMA providers have full 3G networks."

But mcdan is right since the Treo 650 doesn't support either EV-DO or UMTS, it is almost a moot point until both technologies have a wider deployment and Treos begin supporting the higher speed data networks.
    Last edited by NotSoAverageJoe; 03/02/2005 at 10:37 PM.
    <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR=BLUE><PRE>
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Palm Tungsten C \<br> RIM 950 > palmOne Treo 650<br>Nokia ? -> Nokia ? -> Nokia ? -> Moto V60 -> Moto V600 /
    </PRE></FONT>
  12.    #32  
    Good point, so basically the 1RxTT data and the edge are pretty much the same in terms of speed?

Ugh...tough decision. The insurance is a a big one too, this is a hugely expensive peice of equipment...

BUT you wouldn't have insurance on a PDA either...
    I'm very happy so far w/Sprint. They gave me a huge credit($250) to offset moving over to them to offset cancellation fee($175). Plus you can have insurance on your phone that covers it for the life of the phone. I've heard Cingular offers no insurance.
    If coverage is a question, you can pay Sprint $5 a month to roam onto Verizon's network (so long as you use more than 50% of your minutes on Sprint's network). The data doesn't roam, but at least the voice does. I guess you get Sprint+Verizon or Cingular+ATT.

I've been happy with Sprint for over 5 years now, I have a separate GSM phone that I use when I travel. I would not mind having GSM, but the plans that Sprint offers are great. $29 for voice (350AT), $10 for unlimited data, $5 for roaming, $5 for insurance.
    Here's a good reference to check out. Breaks things down pretty well.
    http://www.arcelect.com/2G-3G_Cellular_Wireless.htm

Basically you have to keep in mind that companeis will leverage their existing infrastructure.

Once Sprint has their 3G network up the GSM carrriers won't be able to keep up.

Basically 3G CDMA technology is the best there is (in terms of speed). The only way carriers like Cingular have any hope of matching speeds is by going CDMA 3G themselves.

And no Sprint's current T650 does not support this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12