Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    People may be aware of this, but if you do the following, you can get 50% or more battery life out of your Treo.

- Use KBLightsOff, and turn on automode at night and off in the day.

- Use LedOff and turn off the flashing LED in all cases (except charging). The flashing LED is pretty expensive powerwise...I remember on Motorola StarTACs turning it off gave 30% more battery life.

Combined, you get fantastic battery life. I used to charge everyday, and now can go 2-3 days without a recharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    People may be aware of this, but if you do the following, you can get 50% or more battery life out of your Treo.

- Use KBLightsOff, and turn on automode at night and off in the day.

- Use LedOff and turn off the flashing LED in all cases (except charging). The flashing LED is pretty expensive powerwise...I remember on Motorola StarTACs turning it off gave 30% more battery life.

Combined, you get fantastic battery life. I used to charge everyday, and now can go 2-3 days without a recharge.
    Thanks Mike. I have been putting off KBLightsOff for awhile. I think I will give it a whirl now.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Great Idea
    Thanks
    And where one might get this tool?
    is it free? ^_^
    Here ,here...
    Freeware , picked off goggle search
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I use KBlightsoff and agree that it is a great battery saver. But I have to question the LED being a very big battery drain.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    I use KBlightsoff and agree that it is a great battery saver. But I have to question the LED being a very big battery drain.
    I also find it very hard to believe the LED drains the battery much at all.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxdude
    I also find it very hard to believe the LED drains the battery much at all.
    It has always made a big difference on my Motorola phones... may or may not make a difference on the Treo but every little bit helps.
    mg48 is right LEDs use very little power compared to incandescent bulbs.
  11.    #11  
    For those that doubt how much the LED uses, I suggest you do a test.

Run you Treo normally...see how long it lasts.

Then charge again, and turn on LEDOff and turn is off in all cases (except battery charge).

Measure the difference.

You will see it is non-trivial.
    I thought kblightsoff stopped working after 30 or 60 days and wanted registration. did that change?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    kb lights off isn't freeware- 30 day trial and then it's 5.50
    it works well though, so i might just buy it.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I would imagine Treoguard is also a good power saver since it can turn the screen off automatically when in a call
    Hey thanks...I don't care how much drainage the LED causes, I was just irritated by seeing it go twinkle, twinkle all the time.

lancero
    I use both these programs (KBlightsoff and LEDoff) not to save battery but to make these annoyances go away but thanks for the tip. I agree would not think the LED would draw much but the keyboard is very bright and likely a significant draw. Incidently, do any LEDoff users get a LED blink when they select the "Voicemail" choice in the program. Mine does not seem to reactivate the LED for this and it would be nice to have a visual when there is incoming vmail.
    I love my flashing LED! It means my Treo is alive... ALIVE!!

The best accessory I got was the travel retractable HotSynch-Charger cable from Seidio. I just plug it into my laptop and my Treo charges as I work and is always fresh. I hear the Li-Ion batteries don't need to be run-down all the time in order to stay healthy. Now if I could just increase my laptop's battery life somehow. (I think I saw a thread that said something about not using it to charge a Treo).
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    You can always save more battery time by keeping your Treo off all the time
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    The KBLightsOff icon…needs work.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    You can always save more battery time by keeping your Treo off all the time
    It also solves the reset issue too... ;-)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast