1.    #1  
    My AT&T Treo 650 freezes after being left alone for 4 hours.
    I did an error check and I get: A crash occurred on 02/28/2005 at 8:31pm while running Contacts, Preference.c, Line 264 PrefDB open Error.

How do I fix this?

Stephen
    you may have a corrupt contact file. Check you contact database and see if you have anything that looks funny.
    I get the same error message:

.... while running "Contacts": Preference.c,Line:265, Pref DB Open Error

But only when I try to click on Send Contacts function. This happens to any of my contacts and without waiting for 4 hours.

Any help anybody?
  4.    #4  
    My contacts list was imported from my Tungsten T. I think the layout of the data is different. Can this be affecting it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla
    My AT&T Treo 650 freezes after being left alone for 4 hours.
    I did an error check and I get: A crash occurred on 02/28/2005 at 8:31pm while running Contacts, Preference.c, Line 264 PrefDB open Error.
    Stephen
    Honestly, I think there is a problem with the Treo 650 corrupting the Preferences Database. When I tap the "Preferences" menu option in RealPlayer, my unit resets. I contacted palmOne about an issue with the crash and the Tech indicated that his 2nd-level Tech was a ware of an issue with the Preferences DB becoming corrupted. He also indicated that no matter what I did, it would re-occur. I haven't put this into my review on my website (see below for the link if you are interested) since I didn't speak to this 2nd-level tech directly and I think my problems may be related to a BlueTooth Hotsync.

It is possible that there are some issues with the T650 corrupting key files, primarily the Preferences DB. The reason why I say this is that if I enter "#*377" then "Dial" on the keypad after RealPlayer resets, I can see the error message "Preferences.c, Line:264,PrefDBOpen Error" as being the reason for the reset. This tells me that a corrupt record is likely causing the issue. How did it get corrupted? Why is the the Preferences DB that appears to be the frequent source of error? Oh my, I just realized the error I'm getting in RealPlayer is exactly the same error your are getting!!!! Maybe it's not a corrupt record but an OS-level bug.

I don't know if the following would be much help to you, but you could use a utility such as Filez to delete your contact database on your T650. Then right-click on your Hotsync Manager, select 'Custom' and change the Contacts conduit to "Desktop Overwrites handheld". Then perform a Hotsync. In theory, this would cause the contact database to get re-created on the T650. However, if it's the Preferences DB that is corrupted, it likely won't help you. Be sure to backup your "\Palm\your_hotsyncNameHere" folder before attempting anything I mention above. I don't work for palmOne nor have I tried what I'm recommending (just trying to help).
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
  6.    #6  
    Thanks! I've followed your instructions and I'll see if it works.
  7.    #7  
    It worked! Thanks so much. Happy camper here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla
    It worked! Thanks so much. Happy camper here.
    You are very welcome! I'm happy I could help :-)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    I don't think the Treo 650 corrupts the preferences file. I think some application running on the 650 corrupts it. Whenever these kind of weird problems occur, think software way before hardware.

The Treo gets way too much blame for crashes caused by buggy 3rd party software.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I get this same exact error message after my phone resets when trying to email a picture.

I am within Media, select send and it locks up on the image and then reboots if you hit any key.

This is a new issue, but I haven't added any software since when it was working and now (when it doesn't).

Anyone have any ideas. It sucks not being able to email photos to my blog.

I am using Snapper for default email and as I said, it was working great until today.

Any ideas?

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I don't think the Treo 650 corrupts the preferences file. I think some application running on the 650 corrupts it. Whenever these kind of weird problems occur, think software way before hardware.

The Treo gets way too much blame for crashes caused by buggy 3rd party software.

Actually, I think in this case it is the hardware (sort of). I think the reason everything has gone unstable suddenly is the NVFS system. Nothing else has in the system has changed that significantly. Most of the 3rd party software was stable in the 600 and now it is not. I think the root of the problem is that data that is being modified in DRAM is not completing its write-back to flash.

You have a preferences file that is in multiple blocks. You swap two of those blocks into DRAM. You modify the file by changing the data in both blocks. One block gets written back to flash and while the second one is pending write-back, something happens, like you power cycle your phone for example, and the write-back does not complete. The data in the written back block does not mesh with the data in the other original block. The file is now corrupt. Crashes ensue.

This is the same reason you can't power cycle your PC every 5 minutes without getting into corrupted memory problems. It's a hard problem to solve in a cell phone where you can pop out the battery very easily. I'm not sure it was worth trying. But I don't think there is anything the 3rd party apps can do about it.

Just my personal theory.
  12.    #12  
    The problem is back. It seems to only occur when I'm charging the Treo at night. I input the #*377 to find out but it tells me of an error from 2 weeks ago.
    I am getting the same error from within RealPlayer, have you ever come across a fix? I agree that a "preferences cleaner" type application might fix these corrupt entries. I don't want to do a hard reset, this is the only real reset problem i've found aside from random resets.

Quote Originally Posted by jonecool
    Honestly, I think there is a problem with the Treo 650 corrupting the Preferences Database. When I tap the "Preferences" menu option in RealPlayer, my unit resets. I contacted palmOne about an issue with the crash and the Tech indicated that his 2nd-level Tech was a ware of an issue with the Preferences DB becoming corrupted. He also indicated that no matter what I did, it would re-occur. I haven't put this into my review on my website (see below for the link if you are interested) since I didn't speak to this 2nd-level tech directly and I think my problems may be related to a BlueTooth Hotsync.

It is possible that there are some issues with the T650 corrupting key files, primarily the Preferences DB. The reason why I say this is that if I enter "#*377" then "Dial" on the keypad after RealPlayer resets, I can see the error message "Preferences.c, Line:264,PrefDBOpen Error" as being the reason for the reset. This tells me that a corrupt record is likely causing the issue. How did it get corrupted? Why is the the Preferences DB that appears to be the frequent source of error? Oh my, I just realized the error I'm getting in RealPlayer is exactly the same error your are getting!!!! Maybe it's not a corrupt record but an OS-level bug.

I don't know if the following would be much help to you, but you could use a utility such as Filez to delete your contact database on your T650. Then right-click on your Hotsync Manager, select 'Custom' and change the Contacts conduit to "Desktop Overwrites handheld". Then perform a Hotsync. In theory, this would cause the contact database to get re-created on the T650. However, if it's the Preferences DB that is corrupted, it likely won't help you. Be sure to backup your "\Palm\your_hotsyncNameHere" folder before attempting anything I mention above. I don't work for palmOne nor have I tried what I'm recommending (just trying to help).
    I have not found a solution to this problem. I've tried a number of things, including manually going through my "Saved Preferences" and "Unsaved Preferences" and deleting those assigned to the RealPlayer's creator ID. Unfortunately, nothing has worked so far. I think the solution to this problem will need to come from palmOne, I'll see if I can dig a little further. If I find anything, I'll post here. In a way, it's good to know I'm not alone here. It confirms that my issue is not an isolated one like I originally thought.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeZ
    I am getting the same error from within RealPlayer, have you ever come across a fix? I agree that a "preferences cleaner" type application might fix these corrupt entries. I don't want to do a hard reset, this is the only real reset problem i've found aside from random resets.
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    NOT to hijack, but...

BladeZ, I wonder how many Subaru fans are members here...
    Hehe, it's funny, cause i was a regular here back when i had my shiny new Treo 270, and then I haven't been back since, and at that time I had just gotten my WRX, so I was all happy. Now it's just another car, i need something faster, newer, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

If the write back to flash is interupted, than it is the duty of the OS to ensure consistency. Actually, I expect the OS to be robust enough that I can remove the battery at any time, and the worst thing that happens is lost data, but no corruption.

The solution to this problem has been known for more than 40 years now. It is called transactions.