1.    #1  
    This is getting really weird. The Treo 650 faq for versamail at

PalmOne VersaMail FAQ

states the following toward the bottom of the page:

Does VersaMail support HotSync mail?

Yes. VersaMail supports Windows PC HotSync mail directly with a POP or IMAP server. VersaMail also synchronizes with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, Eudora, a local Lotus Notes mail database, or Domino server mail.

Has anyone actually been able to make Versamail work with their desktop email client? I am beginning to wonder if something is corrupt with my Palm Desktop (and therefore Versamail) installation. I can't get any kind of interaction between Versamail and a desktop email client.

In fact, my latest problem is that I can send/receive email with direct wireless POP3 (either manually with the VersaMail app or with a HotSync operation) but as soon as I use Outlook to send/receive email and subsequently perform a HotSync my mail that was previously on the Treo disappears. This is getting ridiculous.
    nitrixx,

You say it's set to Direct POP and neither the VM client or conduit can sync messages? In your user directory (C:\Program Files\palmONe\[USER]\) you will find a file called sync.ini. Set the 'Enable Logging' and 'Debug Logging' under the VersaMail section to 1. Do a sync. There will now be a file in that same user path at "\VersaMail\VersaMail.log". Either check out the log to see what the potential problem is OR post the content of it and we'll see if we can figure it out.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    nitrixx,

You say it's set to Direct POP and neither the VM client or conduit can sync messages? In your user directory (C:\Program Files\palmONe\[USER]\) you will find a file called sync.ini. Set the 'Enable Logging' and 'Debug Logging' under the VersaMail section to 1. Do a sync. There will now be a file in that same user path at "\VersaMail\VersaMail.log". Either check out the log to see what the potential problem is OR post the content of it and we'll see if we can figure it out.

Here is the log file contents from Versmail.log:

03-02-2005 01:18:48 PM ***********************************************************
    03-02-2005 01:18:48 PM Initializing VersaMail (TM) Log File
    System Information:

Computer: A64ONXP
    Operating System: Win NT 5.1, Build : 2600, SP: Service Pack 2
    Current User: Travis
    Default Client: Microsoft Outlook
    MAPI Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mapi32.dll
    MAPI Version: 1.0.2536.0 (XPClient.010817-1148)

General VersaMail Registry Settings:

Sync Host Registry Settings:

Msg Host Registry Settings:

Config Host Registry Settings:
    ConfHost : REG_SZ : VMConfigUI4.dll

HotSync Version: 4.02
    HotSync Path: C:\Program Files\palmOne

VersaMail Registered Conduit Information:

Title: VersaMail
    Conduit: VMConduit.dll
    Directory: VersaMail
    Remote DB: MultiMail Messages

VersaMail Registered Conduit Extension Information:

Name: Eudora 5.0 or higher
    Sync Host: MM_SMAPIMsgHost.dll
    Config Host: MM_SMAPIMsgHost.dll
    Name: Direct IMAP connection to server
    Sync Host: MM_IMAPMsgHost.dll
    Config Host: MM_IMAPMsgHost.dll
    Name: Lotus Notes 5.x or higher
    Sync Host: MM_NOTESMsgHost.dll
    Config Host: MM_NOTESMsgHost.dll
    Name: Microsoft Exchange 5.0 or higher
    Sync Host: MM_MAPIMsgHost.dll
    Config Host: MM_MAPIMsgHost.dll
    Name: Microsoft Outlook 98 or higher
    Sync Host: MM_MAPIMsgHost.dll
    Config Host: MM_MAPIMsgHost.dll
    Name: Direct POP connection to server
    Sync Host: MM_POPMsgHost.dll
    Config Host: MM_POPMsgHost.dll
    Name: Exchange ActiveSync
    Sync Host: PTS.dll
    Config Host: PTS.dll
    Name: Microsoft Outlook Express
    Sync Host: MM_SMAPIMsgHost.dll
    Config Host: MM_SMAPIMsgHost.dll

I tried to enable logging from the conduit manager prior to this but there was never a Versamail.log after doing so (thanks for the tip on editing sync.ini - it seemed to work). But, alas, there is no good information here =(

The conduit simply does not synchronize with Microsoft Outlook. When I say I can't "synch" I dont mean I cant get mail on my PDA. I can send/receive mail, wirelessly, just fine.

The troubles are these:

1. If I received mail via wireless POP and later download to my Outlook, on a subsequent hotsync operation all the mails my Palm previously had from the first step are deleted (because the mail server doesn't have them anymore - my Outlook file does). This is where "synchronization" needs to occurr (i.e. VersaMail and Outlook should talk to each other)

2. If I were to have an email that was, say, three weeks old that I wanted to get on my PDA because I was going to be gone for a few days there is no way to do it. Once it's in the Outlook file (and therefore gone from the mail server), the PDA will not have access to get the mail. Again, there is no synchronization between Outlook and VersaMail. It simply wants to ask the mail server for the mail. This sucks because I do not want "synchronization" with my mail server; I need to be in synch with my Outlook file. Being in synch with a mail server is ridiculous. It has no meaning (outside of possibly corporate Exchange environments).

I really believe there is a serious bug with VersaMail 3.0. It only seems to "synch" with Exchange corporate environments (not a POP/SMTP environment). Again, I must say, "synch" has no meaning when we are talking about email clients communicating with a POP/SMTP server. They don't "synch". They simply send/receive.

The only place that "synching" a mail system with your client makes sense is possibly in an Exchange environment. In this case your Outlook client never actually removes stuff from the mail server; it does in fact stay in "synch" with it all the time. Therefore, your PDA always gets the same stuff too. The reason is that the data store is always in one place (the Exchange server). The folder structure is on the Exchange server, etc... Everything stays on the Exchange server. So, yes, the PDA and Outlook will have the same thing. There is no need for them to talk to each other at all because they talk to the Exchange server and the Exchange server governs things like sending, receiving, deleting, etc...

However, if we are not using Exchange server there is no central repository of mail data. Some of the data is getting downloaded to the Outlook file locally (actually removed from the mail server to your local hard drive) and sometimes you are getting it downloaded to your PDA. The problem as you can see is that now we have information in two seperate places and apparently no way to make these two things talk to each other.
  4. VTP
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    nitrixx, did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm using a Sprint Palm Treo 650 with Versamail v. 3.1b. Each time I try to set up an e-mail account, it automatically sets the "Desktop Connection" by default to "Direct POP connection to server". I don't even get a screen, in going through the prompts to set up an account, where I can choose whether I want the direct POP connection, or to synchronize with my Microsoft Outlook 2002 - which is what I WANT to be able to do.

I spoke with a tech support person last night. First, she told me that VersaMail wasn't supposed to work that way, that it ONLY did wireless e-mail. I pointed out that my last Palm Tungsten E with VersaMail did exactly that (sync with Outlook), and that the .PDF documentation that came with me Treo 650 was replete with references to syncing your Treo VersaMail with Outlook. She then started looking into the issue in earnest.

In proceeding through the e-mail account setup process and mirroring me, she was coming to a screen where you got to CHOOSE what type of connection you wanted - synchronizing with Outlook, Direct POP Connection, etc. No such screen for me: I went straight to the "Enter Account Settings" screen, where you name the account, enter username, enter password, and enter e-mail address. So I think I've identified what the problem is. The problem NOW is how to fix that. Anyone? Thanks.

CD
  5. VTP
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I got my response - from Jeff of Sprint Technical Support on 11/11/05 @ 2:21PM EST:

"Unfortunately, we believe this problem is related to a coding issue with VersaMail as being an unfortunate consequence of not being able to perform that action. Unfortunately, there's not any type of software updates that are scheduled to take place because of this. We would recommend either using VersaMail to pull down POP email directly using the wireless connection, or possibly using another product, maybe Goodlink or the PCS Business Connect software. We apologize for this inconvenience . . . ."

So Sprint expects me to PAY EXTRA for a service that's supposed to be part of the $600 Treo I just bought . . . .