View Poll Results: On Average, How Many Resets Do You Experience Per Day?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (No Resets)

116 56.31%
  • 1 - 5

81 39.32%
  • 6 - 10

4 1.94%
  • 11 - 15

2 0.97%
  • 16 - 20

0 0%
  • > 20

2 0.97%
  • So Many, I Lost Count!

1 0.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am just curious how many resets people are experiencing daily. Also please post the software you have installed. Maybe, just maybe, we can start narrowing down the troublesome software(s).

-TJ
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    0 resets
    in RAM I have
    original software
    powerrun
    treoalarm
    docstogo (after usind the tech tool)
    uninstall
    kblightsoff
    ledoff
    treohelper
    spellcheck

on SD card
    bunch of games
    avantgo
    power calculators
    cleanup
    minutes plus
    ptunes
    worldmate pro
    winlauncher
    initiate
    Treoing & Loving it
  3.    #3  
    6 - 10 Resets

Settings
    - Disabled Auto Date & Time
    - Bluetooth Enabled

My Apps
    - Chatter (v1.0.3rc1) - 3 Email Accounts
    - Butler (v2.72)
    - zLauncher (v5.11) & ZLManager
    - VoiceDial (v2.0)
    - Docs2Go (from CD)
    - eReader (from CD)
    - Zap!2016 (from CD)
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
  4.    #4  
    After reading a few threads, I thought resets are a part of the normal experience for the T650.

Now that I started this thread, I am realizing that resets are NOT the norm. Now, I am just really jealous of you 0 resets people. I am also beginning to think that ZLauncher is the culprit. :P
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    The only time I have had a reset is after a hot sync. My apps

Epocroties
    butler
    ks calender
    mapopolis
    diet and exercise advisor (Lost 8 pounds already!)
    clean up
    backup buddy
    audible
    uninstall manger
    mvoice
    daily quote
    handyshopper
    keycaps 600
    hilighter
    loan pro
    lockbox db
    noah lite
    rentulater
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I find it hard to believe so few people have 0 resets .. mine resets if i sneeze at it and i've had 3 .. they all do the same thing. The unit is highly unstable.
    I voted in the 1-5 range, but usually just have the one after HS in the am before work. I have too many apps to list, well maybe not too many to list, but more then I want to type right now.

I may get the occasional reset while using the phone at work, but almost always can trace it to a software bug that I am aware of, so I don't really count those. At any rate, 1-5 covers me well as it is definately between 1-3, and more then likely around 7 per week as sometimes I don't get a post HS reset and I go many days without a reset while at work.

I am unsure that the HS reset issue is third party related, but who knows. I could run on a stock set up to trouble shoot, but where is the fun in that?
    i used to get about two a day caused by treostub and angendus. now that agendus has been updated i dont get that anymore.

every couple of days it does happen though usually cause by snapper autofetch and a confilct with another app like ptunes or verichat.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Initially I did a sloppy job of installing a lot of my Treo 600 3rd party software on my new T650. After a couple days I gave up try to fix it all and did a hard reset.
    I then started fresh, using Snappermail, not Versamail, and for the past 16 days I have had 0, zero, resets. I made sure I installed the latest versions of all my 3rd party software.
    I also installed all applications initially to RAM, then moved them to my SD card using PowerRun. I think this is a key to avoiding problems with zLauncher.
    My system includes:
    zLauncher - SnapperMail - DateBk - 995 Clock
    Audacity - pTunes - PowerRun
    TomTom Navigator - deLorme Street Atlas - Outdoor Navigator from Maptech
    Tide Tool - Norton Antivirus - Splash Wallet
    Icon Manager - Movie Guide - UniversalConverter - The English Dictionary
    Freecell - Battleship - Bejeweled - PacMan
    Software I suspected of causing problems on my original setup, that I have not been able to get newer versions for, and thus did not install in the new config 16 days ago, include: Lightwave, CallFilter, BackupBuddy, UninstallManager.
    I usually have ocne a day if lucky... unless I am in causerie or zlauncher... those seem to cause issues for me.... i have uninstalled both... we shall see... by the way... I had more resets with the Gemplus... Using Axalto now... much better.
    0 Resets, mine runs solid and never crashes, resets, or hangs. 0 Issues except the earpiece could be a little louder
    PalmOne unlocked Treo 650, on Cingular using an old 32K SIM.
    Software:
    In RAM: Cingular XPress Mail, SnapperMail, IBM Java VM 2, Xiino 3.3E, Botzam Backup, Movian VPN, pTunes
    On Card: Bart Quickplanner, Reqwireless Webviewer (Java), FileZ, Teal Mover, MobileTS, PdaNet, PdaReach, WorldMate SE, MoonPhase, iNoah.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    About 1-2 a day and I have around 50 apps.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  13.    #13  
    I still have the highest number of resets (6-10), and I am being conservative too. Man... I swear that it feels like more than 10 per day realistically.

I too have Axalto SIM. Guess it's time to start from scratch again. This will be my 4th time doing a hard reset.
    ZLauncher, Verichat, Versamail (with ActiveSync with Exchange), plus tons of things installed to the card. Probably one reset every two or 3 days. I stay away from programs that intercept phone calls or SMSs or things like that. And I don't autosync Exchange (just POP3), which seems to give folks lots of trouble...
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV
    The only time I have had a reset is after a hot sync. My apps

Epocroties
    butler
    ks calender
    mapopolis
    diet and exercise advisor (Lost 8 pounds already!)
    clean up
    backup buddy
    audible
    uninstall manger
    mvoice
    daily quote
    handyshopper
    keycaps 600
    hilighter
    loan pro
    lockbox db
    noah lite
    rentulater
    I did a hard reset the other day because I wanted to try something, after I restored using Backup buddy VFS, I was experiencing resets whenever I hotsync with my laptop ,its funny because on my home computer, I can hotsync to my heart's delight and have no resets, what I finally did was to delete my laptop's hotsync profile and just re-sync my Treo 650 with my laptop- problem solved - no more resets after hotsync. other than this my treo has been quite stable
    I only have resets after a hotsync, and I can tie that to Butler. If I uninstall Butler, the only resets I get are intermitent ones in Blazer. Maybe twice a week. I put up with the end-of-sync resets because I like a few of the things Butler does for me.

Experience has shown that the vast majority of reset problems are caused by 3rd party software (a category which include VersaMail.) I've had a few apps that made my 650 wildly unstable, but after removing them things get back to normal. The same was true with the 600, especially when it was brand new, and few software apps had been upgrade to support it.

Start off with a clean setup, install your apps one-by-one rather than restoring from a backup. Make sure you have the latest version available of the app. Test it before installing any others. When you install one that causes problems, remove it and throw it away. Then install your next app, and keep going. Spend a little time, and you can have a stable Treo with lots of apps installed, too.

Remember that more people are going to complain about their problems than post to say they have none. There's a poll here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74474

That indicates more than 80% of 650 owners are satisfied with their Treos, But they're not going to post repeatedly to say so, like those with problems do.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 03/01/2005 at 08:26 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I had random resets like all when I first moved from my Treo 600 to 650.

Now, I haven't had any in the last 2 months. Why? How? Cause I did a hard reset, Fresh install of all Palm Software on my PC, and don't use VersaMail. As well, I keep room open my internal memory for apps to run and I limit 3rd party apps to those that are well tested. I know the importance of 3rd party apps to all, but give it time, the new memory type has only been out for a short time, and i doubt every deveopler has run right out and purchased a new T5 or 650 to test their software on.

Here is what i have.
    Sprint650 with 15.8 megs of free memory.
    Only Palmone patches, (I like what SM has done but my Voice Quality is good, I don't need BT DUN w/ Wmodem, and I have plenty of room)
    PowerRun
    AIM
    Backupman
    Bejewled2*
    BigMoney*
    Blocks*
    Bluefiles
    BugMe*
    CardExport
    Dir Assist (Best App EVER!!!)
    Documents to go (moved to card via Datavitz tool)
    Filez
    GTSRacer*
    HandZipper
    Insaniquarium*
    IOU Mate
    Mheros*
    mVoice
    pTunes
    Snapper
    Solitaire*
    SplashID
    Warefair*
    Win-Hand
    WModem
    Zap2016*
    * indicates on SD via PowerRun
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    It's true. I've no resets unless TomTom runs out of RAM (needs 5MB free!); and even then, it's a voluntary reset on my part to "clear" out caches, locked RAM and the like (and I don't know why it helps, but it does; only occurs lately as I've installed more apps that eat up space.)

Follow the FAQ I put up:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73866

Pretty much guarantees a problem-free Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    I find it hard to believe so few people have 0 resets .. mine resets if i sneeze at it and i've had 3 .. they all do the same thing. The unit is highly unstable.
    I put zero resets in the poll, but I have had resets in the past. I haven't had any in over 2 months. One of the reasons is because i'm using shadowmite's custom rom without versamail. I had several resets from versamail alone. The other reason is because I don't just load tons of apps on... I load one at a time and test them extensively.

14megs free internal memory and 20mb free on my sd card.

KBLightsOFF
    LEDOff
    MMPlayer*
    NESEM*
    DreamEngine*
    GuineaPig*
    Kinoma*
    PalmVNC*
    PowerRun
    PXA Clocker
    Street Atlas2005 GPS*
    SnapperMail*
    Verichat
    Rescoe File Explorer*
    Filez*
    TomTom GPS*
    ScummVM*

*on sd card w/powerrun
    finally, emulators cause resets with certain roms, but I don't consider that a treo issue.

The two apps that seem to be the biggest reset culperates are versamail and butler and possibly the phone app.
    Last edited by BIGtrouble77; 03/02/2005 at 11:10 AM.
    My favorite reset so far, is the one I got yesterday morning:

-----------
    A crash occurred on 3/1/05 at 6:36 am while running "<unknown application>": Fatal Exception
    -----------

Seriously, though. It is not just the resets... My phone keeps failing to performed it scheduled activesyncs, it stops transfering calendar items up to the server even when it will still transfer them down, it drops its connection to the network when I move between certain cells....it's ridiculous! I have to repeatedly delete and recreate my activesync account (and worse, when I delete all the multimail stuff, it means I have to recreate a couple of pop3 accounts as well).

And finally, even though my calender.pdb is only 500+k, whenever my Treo 650 resets, it automagically recreates the Datebook.pdb, only its 9 MEGS!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast