Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Greetings all! I have a question for those of you using pockettunes out there: Has anyone had any issues with the duration of songs being displayed incorrectly? For example, many mp3s that I transfered over from my Win XP computer (converted using Windows Media Player) display incredibly long lengths like 14 minutes, when the actual song is 3 or 4 minutes long. I have seen anywhere from 8 to 16 minutes displayed, but they are not that long. Its seems to be a lot of tracks I converted from WMP, so I wonder if that has something to do with it. If I leave the player alone, the songs ends at the correct time (like 4 minutes) and then pockettunes will just go to the next song and ignore the imaginary 10 minutes. But if I manually drag the progress bar with the stylus, then it seems to read the song as the incorrect time. Example: If I advance a song to the end with the stylus, the time elapsed reads 11:13. If I play it through without touching it, the song ends at 3:45, then begins the new song. Its annoying and seems to interefere with the crossfade option!
    What time length is displayed by a PC-based player (not Windows Media Player)? If that display is also off, I would assume there was a bug/glitch in the conversion to mp3. Try ripping a CD with a non-MS product and see if you get the same problem.
    Zane
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I have the same problem with songs that I ripped using VBR. Some players cannot decipher that encoding very well.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    The songs display the correct length in realplayer on my treo 650, as well as in my computer. Its only wrong in pockettunes!
    did you record/transfer the songs via realplayer? prior to using ptunes, i always had that same problem using realplayer both as the medium for copying over music to my treo and as my default mp3 player app. nor was i ever able to get windows media player to recognize my treo as a portable usb device.

i eventually made the switch over to ptunes and opted to use both the palm desktop utility as well as the third-party app, palm file browser to transfer over mp3's to my treo. however, anyone who's familiar with that setup will tell you that it takes next to a full 15 minutes to copy over whole albums with files sizes no bigger than 70mb.

i've since then plopped down the extra $20.00 and got myself a sandisk portable usb sd card reader/writer, upgraded to ptunes deluxe, and haven't looked back since.

i can almost assuredly say that the culprit in your situation is realplayer. ditch the b*tch.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Thanks for the response! If I understand you correctly, then this cant be my issue, I never use realplayer on my PC, I was using it on the treo prior to getting ptunes deluxe. I use WMP to encode music from CD, then I use a card reader to transfer over the music manually. If I play the songs in ptunes, wrong duration. If I play the same songs from the same card in realplayer on my treo , I get the correct duration! I cant figure it out!!
    I use Music Match for ripping my CD's as mp3's to play on PTunes and have never experienced this problem. They just added WMP integration with this last update and there may be some sort of glitch.

I suggest you send a note to the guys at Normsoft Support about it. They are very responsive, and might have a fix or appreciate hearing about your problem.
    I have the same problem too. It was never fixed. NormSoft support couldn't do much because I had the old 2.3.4(latest version at the time was 3.0.2) version at the time when I contacted support.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Do you use WMP to convert your CDs to mp3? what's weird is that not ALL my mp3s display the incorrect time, just the ones I have recently converted. Some older files from my old computer display the right time. So I'm not sure if its ptunes or WMP, or both!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    One other observation that might be important: on the songs that display incorrect times, i noticed that in the corner the kbps will sometimes change on its own. For example, one song I have playing now as I am typing goes from 128, to 112, to 96, to 112, to 128, to 80, etc. These numbers will change sometimes seveal times in one second. I have a feeling that this has something to do with the problem, as it looks like the song is playing at a variable bit rate, right? But Im sure I didnt encode with WMP with this setting!! What is going on??
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Any thoughts on the variable bit rate? Anyone? Bueler?
    I use VBR MP3s exclusively and have never seen this problem with PTunes.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    what programs are you guys using to encode mp3s, I think maybe WMP is the culprit!!
    I use EAC with the lame mp3 encoder, but that's a more complicated approach. I've seen dBpowerAMP recommended a lot for mp3 encoding.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Robin2k4, since you have the same problem as I, do you use WMP to encode your music? If not, what program are you using??

Alex, Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out that program!
    Last edited by paris1129; 03/12/2005 at 11:51 AM.