1.    #1  
    Guys,
    First off, Im so glad i found this site. Just wanted to say HI!!! I'll def be here alot to keep my eyes open and brain edumacated.
    I have a problem though. My treo 650 shutsdown when the Home (house looking button) key is pressed. I went to sprint yesterday and they couldnt fix it. So their giving me a new one on Fri cause its only been 20 days since I purchased the phone. Now, my girlfriend, who also bought one a couple of weeks after I did, tells me that she is having the same problem with her new phone (about 10 days old treo).
    Has anybody experienced this problem? Is this a known issue? Is there something wrong with the button after numerous useage? Both were purchased from 2 different Sprint stores dif cities as well.
    Let me know what you guys think.
    If this is a know issue, can you please address the solution.
    cheers
    Does it do it every single time you hit the home button? Did you do a hard reset (wipe everything off) and tried it again before hotsyincing? If you did, they you definitely have a bad phone. It happens. If not, try it. There could be some software incompatibility with something you have installed. The only way to know for sure is hard resetting and testing on a clean phone.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    It happens every single time I press it. =(
    I don't recall seeing anyone else having this problem. I too would try a hard reset, and if the problem still persists in the OTB state, I would take it back again.
    Then its time for a HARD reset and see if it does it again. If it does, get it replaced.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    yeah, when I first got my 650 pressing certain buttons would cause a reset. I found that this was almost 100% of the time being cause by an installed app on my treo. Once I figured out which app, and deleted it, that took care of it. Like Zboater said, do a hard reset without syncing, and try the button. That will def. tell you.
    Malice,

This has to be a software problem with an installed app. Do you and your girlfriend have any of the same apps installed. Also, this works with the 600, and I assume with the 650 (an incredible addition by handspring):

If you press ##377 and dial from the phone app it will show you the program that caused the reset (I think this might be slightly different if you have a GSM phone -- someone can followup).

Just delete that app. I doubt this is a hardware issue.

Good Luck,

Glenn
    I agree. This is most likely a software incompatibility. I had a similar issue but it was on my card. Everytime I tried to access the SD card using the home button it would reset my phone. I had Filez in the main application and when I checked my SD card, I had a file in there with no name. I deleted it and was able to access my SD card without any resets. It was most likely from a file I installed prior on the SD card that was corrupt or incompatible.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the tip guys, I ran the ##377 and got the System Error Log stating "A reset was caused on 3/1/05 at 9:40 pm while running "APPLICATIONS": Fatal Exception.
    All this started when my gf beamed me the game Word Twist on sunday. Weird thing is, my brother has the same phone and has Word Twist too, but his works just fine.
    Have you installed any new launchers recently? And then uninstalled them?
    Quote Originally Posted by malice
    Thanks for the tip guys, I ran the ##377 and got the System Error Log stating "A reset was caused on 3/1/05 at 9:40 pm while running "APPLICATIONS": Fatal Exception.
    All this started when my gf beamed me the game Word Twist on sunday. Weird thing is, my brother has the same phone and has Word Twist too, but his works just fine.
    hard reset. don't install anything. Test
    Install apps, one a time. Test after each one.

You will identify the culprit that way.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by malice
    Why haven't you done a hard reset like everyone has suggested? It's just wasteful to return a phone for a replacement if it's potentially a 3rd party software error.
    Because a hard reset is a PITA. He hasn't said he's going to return it yet.

Don't underestimate the pain of reinstalling all your programs one by one.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Because a hard reset is a PITA. He hasn't said he's going to return it yet.
    I thought he said he already brought it and they are replacing it by Friday.
    I think if he fixes it, he won't do that, otherwise he wouldn't be asking.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Look at it this way; a hard reset eliminates 25% of a possible issue (another 25% being the SIM card). Next, is the applications. If you reinstall (yes, no doubt it's a PITA, and that one shouldn't have to beta-test for Palm or developers, but that's another point entirely), then you eliminate the remaining 50% of the issue.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=73866