1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I'm currently using a Mac with Mactheripper, D-Vision & QuicktimePro.

I am looking for the best video player before I pay for a registration key.

MMPlayer without a key has caused a hard reset and many soft resets.

Kinoma without a key won't even read any of the videos I've put on my card: .mov, .avi, .3gp, or .mp4.

Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I got kinoma yesterday and it works great. (i got the trial yesterday that is) I also downloaded the trial of the producer. It converted a simpsons episode (100m 22min) in under 2 minutes. But it plays great on the treo. I've used mmplayer in the past and it has been quite buggy.

But I don't watch much on my treo. I have a season of the simpsons just in case.

Kinoma has a 15 day trial, but you have to enter the key they email you to make full use of the trial.

L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    Boy, this is one of those Ford/Chevy, Mac/PC deals IMO...

I think the following may be a pretty balanced statement.

If you are looking to just play downloaded content from the internet that has already been converted to a lower bitrate, smaller resolution format, then I say get MMPlayer.

If you are looking to convert your own content and want an easy, automated way to do it, then get Kinoma Producer and use the free Kinoma Player.

Listing all the pros and cons, as well as all the features is more then a long post. Do a search, this has been discussed at length in many different threads. Further, stand by for the arguments over the merits and demerits of each as this is one of "those" type of topics.

BTW, I am a registered user of both. I keep both on my machine as I have old legacy videos of my kids that are in Kinoma and I am not getting rid of those, but I use MMPlayer for watching TV shows and Movies.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I would pay for QuickTime Pro and use that. Esp. if you're a Mac user.
    I like Kinoma Player and Producer. It converts mpegs fast, they play fairly well and the audio is spectacular (really neat to listen to them with my 820 bt headset!)

MMPlayer is fine, I have tried it. The problem is that you need to have pocket DVD to get your dvds off and then converted into a format for MMPlayer. Kinoma is very easy and has 'presets' that you can use so you dont have to monkey with the settings (Im using a T600 - yeah I know, I wish I had the T650 screen but it still is neat to watch a movie when your waiting in line or stuck in bumber to bumper traffic.)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    I would pay for QuickTime Pro and use that. Esp. if you're a Mac user.
    I have QT Pro and am using it to export to various formats. I really want to know what will let me watch movies in good quality and no cause Treo glitches.

Thanks
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Kinoma is a much more stable player than mmplayer. Since I end up having to do preprocessing on all the movies, regardless of whether I use Kinoma or mmplayer, I chose Kinoma, even though it doesn't support the wide variety of codecs that mmplayer does.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    If you are looking to just play downloaded content from the internet that has already been converted to a lower bitrate, smaller resolution format, then I say get MMPlayer.

If you are looking to convert your own content and want an easy, automated way to do it, then get Kinoma Producer and use the free Kinoma Player.
    I really don't even know where or how to get content from the Internet. I was most likely going to convert DVDs I own. Will Kinoma do that?

Thanks again...
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by worker4youth
    Kinoma is a much more stable player than mmplayer. Since I end up having to do preprocessing on all the movies, regardless of whether I use Kinoma or mmplayer, I chose Kinoma, even though it doesn't support the wide variety of codecs that mmplayer does.
    What is the best codec that Kinoma supports, stability & quality-wise?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    MacTheRipper rips DVDs, if you didn't know about that already; it looks totally pro (except for the pseudo-LCD look), and works well. And it's free!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    What is the best codec that Kinoma supports, stability & quality-wise?
    MPEG-4/AAC in a .MP4 container. Kinoma doesn't support MP3, and I don't think it supports the .AVI container.

HTH
    What's the advantage of MMPlayer over the standard Treo 650 video player? I used PocketDVD to rip the DVD and used the standard video player to play the movie. It's working fine. I can't get MMPlayer to work however. It's a registered version.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by choile
    What's the advantage of MMPlayer over the standard Treo 650 video player? I used PocketDVD to rip the DVD..
    What format is the file that is working on the 650 video player and where did you save the file to? I put a video in the DCIM folder on my SD card.

The file has a red "X" on it and says "Unable to display this video. It may be too large, corrupted or stored in an incompatible format."

What format will it read?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    MacTheRipper rips DVDs, if you didn't know about that already; it looks totally pro (except for the pseudo-LCD look), and works well. And it's free!
    I would love to know what settiings you use for it. Or the settings you use in QTPro to get a file that can be used on the T650. And if you're in the sharing mood, how do you get the Mactheripper file to a fresh DVD, to back up your collection?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    On a Mac, you can use MacTheRipper to create video files. If you have Toast (DVD recording software), you can select those files and create a DVD. A quick search of the internet will reveal more detailed instructions.