Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have a question about how it's possible that an application that's on my Treo 650 but not running/open can seem to affect the Treo.

    My Treo 650 locks up (won't wake up) --screen dark, keys won't work-- every now and then. This first happened after I started using Verichat. I though that the lockup/sleep problem was related to Verichat, but when it continued even though I wasn't running Verichat, I thought that the problem was caused by something else.

    Still, the freeze/lockup asleep problem was so troublesome that my Treo 650 became virtually unusable. I decided, what the heck, I'm going to take Verichat completely off my Treo 650, since I can't use my Treo anyway.

    Since removing Verichat my Treo hasn't frozen in the off mode once. Although I can't say that my Treo's problem is solved, it does appear that taking Verichat off my Treo has give it a new life.

    But my question is really this: How can an application that's not running still affect the Treo? (Can it?)

    --Bill
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    But my question is really this: How can an application that's not running still affect the Treo? (Can it?)
    It can't and it won't. But VeriChat does indeed run in the background even when you exit the application.
  3. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
       #3  
    One other bit of info I forgot to mention (and I don't know if it is relavent): This happens even after I reset my Treo 650. That it, I don't even have to open Verichat: It *appears* that Verichat just by being installed on my Treo 650 is causing this freeze-in-off-mode problem.

    --Bill
  4. #4  
    Some apps automatically run on reset. Verichat probably does this.
  5. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    Some apps automatically run on reset. Verichat probably does this.
    I think that must be true: Ever since I removed Verichat (a program I like a lot), my Treo 650 has been behaving normally (for a Treo 650.)

    This was interesting to learn.
  6. #6  
    It definately looks like Verichat is always running unless you tell it otherwise. That's one of its big selling features is - that it's always on!
  7. #7  
    Verichat will automatically reconnect on reset if you have "Always On" enabled using DATA mode. However if you set it to SMS mode then there is an option to disabled the reconnect on reset.
  8. #8  
    As part of a soft reset, each app/extension gets a notification which allows it to run some initialization code. I assume Verichat is doing something at that time that causes a problem. On the other hand, if you do a system/warm reset (holding down the UP button during reset), the notification is bypassed (but that may cause some apps not to work as expected, e.g. ones that set alarms during that initialization).

    See http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=887 for reset details.
  9. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldoron
    As part of a soft reset, each app/extension gets a notification which allows it to run some initialization code. I assume Verichat is doing something at that time that causes a problem. On the other hand, if you do a system/warm reset (holding down the UP button during reset), the notification is bypassed (but that may cause some apps not to work as expected, e.g. ones that set alarms during that initialization).

    See http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=887 for reset details.
    Thanks -- and thanks for the info on the warm reset. I've just done a regular reset. (Actually, I've found that the fastest way to reset the Treo 650 is to pop out the battery for a moment -- no need to remove the stylus.)

    I like Verichat a lot, but I guess I'll just have to wait until it's updated. What's also interesting is that nobody else has reported this problem with Vericat and the Treo 650.

Posting Permissions