1.    #1  
    I am using PdaNet via USB cable. How come the download speeds are slower than when I am actually on my phone?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The web browser on the Treo uses a proxy and compresses the data, that's why it appears faster then when using PDANet. Plus, I doubt you're downloading full websites on the Treo as you are on your laptop/desktop.

Joe
    Using PDANet also uses the proxy that compresses the data. Look at a nice inline jpeg one day and you can see the difference.
    I tested PDAnet and was impressed with its ease of use and its relative speed (ok, I remember when a 9600 modem was smoking and you had stitch photos back together but it wasn't entirely clear to me if the PDAnet was utilizing the phone as a modem that would count against my minutes, or was part of my "unlimited" vision data service - any thoughts?
    Last edited by KevMiami; 03/01/2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: can't type
  5.    #5  
    Is there any other software comparable to that of PdaNet?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    >The web browser on the Treo uses a proxy and compresses the data, that's why it appears faster then when using PDANet. . .

not all web browsers use a proxy

>Using PDANet also uses the proxy that compresses the data. Look at a nice inline jpeg one day and you can see the difference

are you saying that by using pdanet the treo connects through a proxy at pdanet? or do u mean to say that the web browser on the treo connects through a proxy? if the former it is not mentioned on their website or in the tos- if the later not all browsers connect through a proxy and even blazer can be configured to be run proxyless

------------------
    when i sent a similar email message to support @ pda net their only response was to suggest that blazer's proxy was to blame... when i emailed them back saying that i wasn't using a proxy i did not get a response..........................
    Sorry, I should have said on SprintPCS services, you connect through a proxy (Sprint's). The images you view when using PDANet are of a demonstrably lower quality than the ones you would see with other methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFLux
    I am using PdaNet via USB cable. How come the download speeds are slower than when I am actually on my phone?
    Well, the reported speeds may be lower. However, I find the apparent speed to be very good. I do see higher reported speeds on my 650 than I saw on my 600, but only marginally greater than on a 56K modem.

I really like this program. Version 3.2 (for the 650) is even more elegant than earlier versions. One can keep the connection while using the Treo for applications.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    on the t600 you can also keep the laptop tethered on a live connection & use another application on the t600

I still have not seen a satisfactory answer to the original post
    BlackFlux, please time the loading of a new site (not cached) and give us the results.