Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This was buried in another thread, I though I'd bring it up here for high visibility for those who use (or want to use) LauncherX on a Treo 650.

This is also posted in the Treo 650 hardware topic, as it is unique to only the Treo 650 hardware.

$12 fix for LauncherX

Pay for Butler, use the side rocker/button reassignment feature to make the rocker be "move" and the button be "select" - you can now move around and select in LauncherX using the side rocker and side button.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/02/2005 at 11:09 AM.
    Here's an even cheaper solution. ;-)

This finally bugged me enough to go track down the problem. Looks like they added a new keycode to the Treo 650 API that Launcher X doesn't like. The fix is relatively simple.

WARNING: BE CAREFUL. MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SYSTEM. I've only tested this for about 5 minutes. You have been warned.

Copy the file over to your PC, load up a hex editor, and modify the following bytes in your Launcher_X.prc file (this is from the version 1.1.1 file that was installed on my Treo, your mileage may vary!)

offest 025126: change $36 to $3D
    offest 025172: change $36 to $3D
    offset 025192: change $36 to $3D
    offset 039AA4: change $36 to $3D

(If somebody has a user id on the Launcher X support forum, I would appreciate it if you would go over there and post a pointer to this message. Thanks!)
    Just an initial report from this happy camper, just edited my copy of LX 1.1.1 as per your instructions and HS'd it over. Inital testing is that it works perfectly...going to LXPlanet to post...

I'm all giddy...

Edit: You beat me to LXPlanet...off to test thrash my newly patched LX...
    Ok, I want to try, but have never been in a hex editor. Can someone tell me a free one to use or post mayby pm me a copy of the modified PRC?
    Ok, here's a patch file. Unpack this into a new directory, copy over your Launcher_X.prc file, get to a command line, and type:

> bspatch Launcher_X.prc Patched.prc Launcher_X.patch

This will create a new file called "Patched.prc" which has the changes.

[EDIT- File has been removed because it is not applying the patch correctly.]
    Last edited by dzenc; 03/01/2005 at 09:48 PM.
  6.    #6  
    That worked so far - I assume the patched.prc file should be renamed launcher_x.prc and then sync'd?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    That worked so far - I assume the patched.prc file should be renamed launcher_x.prc and then sync'd?
    Woah!! The orginal is 451 kb and the patched.prc version is 243 KB. That can't be right, can it?
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    yup!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    yup!
    "Yup" to only the first question, right?
    There are two LauncherX PRC files -- the one you download from the web site (in a ZIP file) is called LauncherX.prc. It should be 460,844 bytes. (Version 1.1.1)

Once you copy it to the device and execute it, it unpacks another file called Launcher_X.prc, which is 248,526 bytes.

This patch needs to be applied to Launcher_X.prc which is 248,526 bytes. Both the initial and patched versions should be the same size.
    If you want to apply the patches to the larger file (460,844 bytes), you should use the following offsets:

offset $058E84: change $36 to $3D
    offset $058ED0: change $36 to $3D
    offset $058EF0: change $36 to $3D
    offset $06D802: change $36 to $3D

For the smaller file (248,526 bytes), use the offsets I posted earlier:

offset $025126: change $36 to $3D
    offset $025172: change $36 to $3D
    offset $025192: change $36 to $3D
    offset $039AA4: change $36 to $3D

The offsets on the device itself are as follows:

code#2, offset 21841 (decimal), change $36 to $3D
    code#2, offset 21917 (decimal), change $36 to $3D
    code#2, offset 21949 (decimal), change $36 to $3D
    code#8, offset 18195 (decimal), change $36 to $3D
  12.    #12  
    I never could figure anything out about a smaller file, but the larger (460,844 bytes) file was easy to fix and load up.

Everything works!!

Way cool.

Well done, and thank you.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    If you want to apply the patches to the larger file....
    Dude, you ROCK!!

LauncherX finally restored to it's rightful place among premium launchers.
  14.    #14  
    So, now, how do you access the gadgets on the bottom of the screen one-handed? Not that I really care, but I'm curious. I don't mind having to pull out the sylus for those - I'm a mixed stylus/keyboard kind of guy anyway.
    FANTASTIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    Ok, I want to try, but have never been in a hex editor. Can someone tell me a free one to use or post mayby pm me a copy of the modified PRC?
    try this link for a free hex editor.
    Last edited by Insertion; 03/02/2005 at 12:24 AM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    dzenc thank you very much!! I edited the larger .prc and everything is working perfect!
    I have been unable to get the edit/patch to work.. Would someone be so kind as to email it to me? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kennywest
    I have been unable to get the edit/patch to work.. Would someone be so kind as to email it to me? Thanks!
    Whats the problem? Depending on the source, just follow the instructions in post #11. Worked perfect for me.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Thanks to all. I downloaded the suggested HEX editor and modified. I tried to do on the palm, and could find the locations but could not seem to modify them.

Anyway, all is well. Thanks for finding this for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    Thanks to all. I downloaded the suggested HEX editor and modified. I tried to do on the palm, and could find the locations but could not seem to modify them.

Anyway, all is well. Thanks for finding this for us.
    DId you use the hex editor I linked? If so did it not work for you?

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast