Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by milpar34
    I first edited the file myself...

After that didn't work, I removed it from the Treo and the backup folder on my computer, and tried the posted patch.

That, again, didn't work. Can you just walk me through the steps... I'm hard resetting... Do I sync all of my info from desktop to palm, then quick install launcher x, then quick install launcher x patch?

if i'm at square 1, what's the order?

i went from a little concerned to frantic!
    Overkill is more like it!!

Let's see, I believe you'll want to install the original LX first. (it needs to be registered, not the demo version), and then install the patch.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    i wonder... although I have paid for Launcher X I have not yet received my reg id... could this all be a result of my using the Trial version?
    Quote Originally Posted by milpar34
    i wonder... although I have paid for Launcher X I have not yet received my reg id... could this all be a result of my using the Trial version?
    Well, I'm not about to test the theory, so forgive me. But I'm guessing it might have something to do with it. But it's just speculation.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    oh come on, try it... everybody's doing it... it's a lot of fun! lol...

Ok, so I'll wait until I receive the reg codes...and try it again. let me ask you another question...

I did a hard reset, and custom sync (customized to "do nothing" for each option, except for contacts and calendar, for which I selected "desktop overwrites handheld.")

and when i press the home button on the treo, i again get the same display issue and freeze.

any ideas?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Long story short. I could not get the side button on Butler to select in the same manner as the center button (with patch) worked on LauncherX. Did a hard reset and re-sync reloading what I thought was everything. (I actually thought a sync wouldn't do that...but, I was wrong. I am working on the my custom sync skills.) Anyway, the side button (with Butler) began to work. Whoopee! But now the the center button on LaucherX did not work. (I am guessing that the patch didn't come back after the re-sync.) Anyway, I re-downloaded the LauncherX patch. The center button started to work , now the side button (with Butler) does not work. Does this makes sense? Or did I mess something else up?
    Launcher X and Butler should not cross into each others' territories in any way. You probably didn't need to hard reset.

If the center button of Launcher X is working fine with the patch, good enough for now.

It sounds like there might be a problem with Butler. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling Butler.

Don't do anything fancy or extra, just follow these instructions. I hope this helps as I am no expert on Butler, but since you recently hard reset, you don't have much to lose:

You should probably use your built-in launcher to uninstall Butler, and make sure you delete all Butler files.

Soft re-set your device. Next, perform a HotSync.

Get a fresh download of Butler from PalmGear or their Web site and reinstall it.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by pamd; 05/20/2005 at 02:20 AM.
    I hope this clears up some confusion.

The ONLY difference between the registered and unregistered versions of Launcher X is that the unregistered version will remind you to register, with increasing frequency. The unregistered version is fully functional and is not crippled as of this date. (This could change in the future.)

The 650 patch should work fine whether Launcher X is registered or not.

If you download Launcher X from http://launcherx.com or from PalmGear, it is a legitimate version.

Again (for those who haven't had time to read through this entire thread), the patch that supports the center button of the 650's five-way navigator is available near the top of the main forums page of the Launcher X discussion board:

LauncherXplanet.

This patch has been downloaded more than 850 times as of this post, without a single verified problem caused by it.

Install the patch with confidence and enjoy!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Pam: Thanks for your kind suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I reversed your instructions. First, I removed LauncherX using the native application launcher. (I did not remove Butler.) At this point, I did a soft reset. I can use the side button with Butler. Second, I installed LauncherX 1.1.1 (without T650 patch). Butler side button worked, but - as expected - the center button on the T650 did not. Third, I installed LauncherX1.1.2B.prc. The center button now works but the side button does not.

It seems the conflict may between the patch and Butler. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Is there a problem with my methodolgy? Does anyone else who uses Butler and LauncherX on the 650 have similar problems?

Mark
    Last edited by Wink40; 05/23/2005 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Redundant phrases
    The ENTER key switches tabs on LaucherX...to me is easier and faster than using the 5-Way. Granted it only goes one way but it is fast.
    Also if you hit the first letter of the App with the tab (ie 'p' for prefs) it will highlight that app.
    SPACE will get you back to the Tab select.
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMShoe
    The ENTER key switches tabs on LaucherX...to me is easier and faster than using the 5-Way. Granted it only goes one way but it is fast.
    Also if you hit the first letter of the App with the tab (ie 'p' for prefs) it will highlight that app.
    SPACE will get you back to the Tab select.
    Forgot to add...
    Also if you hit the first letter of the App within the tab (ie 'p' for prefs) it will highlight that app.
    Hitting the ENTER key will activate the highlighted app.

So by using the ENTER key and the first letter of the app you can do 90% of your navigation...only needing the 5W if you have several apps beginning with 'p' then you have to use the 5W-up/down or 5W-left/right.
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMShoe
    The ENTER key switches tabs on LaucherX....
    As does the Home key, plus you get a key click noise as well
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Thanks for the Launcher X tips.
    I am trying LX and noticed that with the keyshades hack it will beep over and over on the side button in LX, but no where else ... I saw this woe over at LauncherXPlanet but when I try to log into the forums it has some messed up database woe for the forums so I can't get in. :/ thought I'd ask here ...
    As mcuh as I love LauncherX, I'm thinking its file maanger isn't as good as FileZ. Has there been been a way to successfuly use both programs together without any conflicts? (say beaming a file from one device to another.)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    As mcuh as I love LauncherX, I'm thinking its file maanger isn't as good as FileZ. Has there been been a way to successfuly use both programs together without any conflicts? (say beaming a file from one device to another.)
    The two will co-exist peacefully and will not affect each other in any way whatsoever. I am a LX devotee since beta and I prefer Resco File Explorer over the built in File Manager.

I keep a copy of FileZ on the card because it is freeware and I can share it, but I use Resco because it is better (nicer interface, handles zips, opens files and executes programs).
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    Here's an even cheaper solution. ;-)

This finally bugged me enough to go track down the problem. Looks like they added a new keycode to the Treo 650 API that Launcher X doesn't like. The fix is relatively simple.
    dzenc, this is a wonderful fix.
    Hey, I bought Butler and it allows me to use the rocker up/down to navigate through LauncherX tabs but the side button does not select an app in the tab. The center button of the 5W works, and also first_letter_of_app then return_button, but I really want to get the side button to work.

Is this a LauncherX issue, a Butler issue, ??? Can you figure out how to get the side button to work with LauncherX?

Thanks, good work.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I reported the same problem some time ago. Neither the LaucherX people or the Hobbyist people have found a solution.
    I keep hearing some people say they got the side button to work in LauncherX?!

I have Butler and LauncherX, I also have dzenc's fix, I got the rocker to work but no side button actuation.

Has anyone got this side button to work to select an app in the tabs?
    I dunno. LauncherX looks like it's a defunct project? As it stands it's a good util, but doesn't work exactly well with the 650... must ... keep ... looking.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    My experience with LauncherX patch. Had problems with the copy I downloaded from TreoCentral. I followed the instructions but my system was reseting often. I deleted it then downloaded the launcherx from mytreo.net which includes the patched version.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-441.html?LauncherX

I just installed the patch version on my Treo 650 no previous version installed. Works great! The only issue I've had is I set the apps refresh to manual. When I upgraded an app that was stored on the SD Card with powerrun, I moved the app back to RAM, hotsynced the new version and when I went to the tab in launcherx it would reset. I just had to do a app refresh to fix it. I set launcherx back to auto app refresh since its so much faster than my old Treo 270!
    JayJ
    -----
    PalmPilot Pro ->
    Palm III ->
    Treo 270 ->
    Treo 650 ->
    Treo 755p ->
    Palm Pre Plus
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567