Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    hold it, there IS a way to assign a shortcut to a "favorite" button.

here are the steps (all using LX)
    1. move app to the SD card using "card gadget"
    2. you will now see a shortcut on the screen, right?
    3. drag that shortcut to the "card gadget" again. select the "create shortcut" option
    4. you will now see 2 shortcuts on the screen
    5. create a favorites button; one of the shortcuts from #4 will appear on list

what do you do with extra shortcut? your choice.

what i do is i copy to a tab called "hidden" and then hide the tab afterwards.
    Last edited by MapaMan; 03/03/2005 at 01:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    MapaMan is correct. Copying an app to LX's card gadget doesn't create a PalmOS "shortcut". From what I've learned so far, PalmOS shortcuts are tiny files that start with a "<<" character (look in FileZ). In addition to being able to assign them to favorites it allows HotSync to see files/apps on the SD card.

ERic
    Cool, yet wierd. I just created a shotcut for one program, and got the <<name with a little crooked arrow in front. I created a second one and it created the crooked arror, but left the name unchanged. I can pull up both as shortcuts in the favorites.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    All this "Shortcut" stuff is described reasonably well in the "Shortcut Stubs" section of the LauncherX manual, which is downloadable from the LauncherX website.
    Quote Originally Posted by MapaMan
    hold it, there IS a way to assign a shortcut to a "favorite" button.
    Classic
    All these people saying they "Had" to ditch LX for ZL because of shortcut problems, and then you prove that LX can do it

I think it's a case of RTFM

Well done MapaMan
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  6.    #86  
    So this appears to end up as one if favor on LauncherX, after all, since you can choose whether to have a context-based shortcut (based on the SD card being in) or creating a standard Palm shortcut.

Read the manual, indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Classic
    All these people saying they "Had" to ditch LX for ZL because of shortcut problems, and then you prove that LX can do it

I think it's a case of RTFM

Well done MapaMan
    Agreed, In my case I only ditched LX very begrudgingly after trying to deal with the center select button issue for a month, couldn't and didn't want to put up with it so I dallied with ZL for a few months, learned a lot and am extremely happy to be back with LX.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Agreed, In my case I only ditched LX very begrudgingly after trying to deal with the center select button issue for a month, couldn't and didn't want to put up with it so I dallied with ZL for a few months, learned a lot and am extremely happy to be back with LX.
    I think the serious thing here is that LX is actually a good program, and if only the support team could now pick it up again.......
    Thought of the day :
    Your patch for Launcher X seems so useful to 650 users, dzenc, and thanks also to westronic!

I hope the admins of this great board don't mind this plug for the Launcher X discussion board, and I have posted a note regarding the patch on it. It includes a reciprocal link to this board in a message right at the top of the Launcher X discussion forums under "Current Launcher X News."

dzenc and westronic, I know you are both members of the Launcher X discussion board and have recently posted there regarding this topic, but I thought some of the other people reading or posting in this thread would like to know there is a discussion board for Launcher X.

LauncherXplanet.com

I invite you all to check it out.
    Last edited by pamd; 03/04/2005 at 01:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Pam,

The version you've posted over at LauncherXPlanet is described at V1.1.2B, yet the actual version number in the .prc file is still V1.1.1, this might lead to some confusion. It'd be nice if the version number were actually bumped to 1.1.2B.

ERic
    Isn't the prc file labeled 1.1.2B when you download it onto your PC and look for it later? That's what I intended, anyway, so you could distinguish it from earlier versions. The file installed on your Treo 650 will still be called 1.1.1.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Perhaps I could RTFM, but from an ease-of-use standpoint I did not have to with ZL. I just tap-n-hold, move to card, go to favorites & assign it. ZL is superior in usability in that regard as I accomplished my goal intuitively and did not need the product documentation.

When there is an official, non-beta, release of LX with full 650 support I will consider revisiting the product. But until such a time, ZL will remain my launcher of choice.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi
    I just tap-n-hold, move to card, go to favorites & assign it. ZL is superior in usability in that regard as I accomplished my goal intuitively and did not need the product documentation.
    Sounds just like PowerRUN

When there is an official, non-beta, release of LX with full 650 support I will consider revisiting the product. But until such a time, ZL will remain my launcher of choice.
    Fair comment
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Sounds just like PowerRUN
    Honestly, I wouldn't know. I've never seen or used PowerRUN.

Anyway, I used LX for about a year. I started shortly after buying my 600. Great program. Did almost everything I wanted. Reviews at the time for ZL talked about how great it was but that it wasn't easy to use and was a bit of a RAM pig. When I got the 650 I tried to work with LX but got frustrated because it wasn't as usable as it was on the 600. Without an app update for 650 support it was a step backwards. I waited for an update, went to launcherxplanet & read the forums, found out about the developer passing away and the possible new developer. I decided to wait. After a month or so of waiting I had hit the limit of my frustration (with LX's lack of development and the usability quirks) so I trialed & then bought ZL. I have not found it difficult to use in the least, although LX is better at being customizable for how I want a launcher to work.

- I have not yet set up the tabbed categories I used in LX (unsure just how to or even if it's possible - maybe a skin is required?). ZL calls them tabs but there's no tabbed view (like FireFox with the tabbed browsing extension).
    - I really like LX's ability to customize the number of rows & columns & icon sizes. I have not found an equivalent in ZL so far.

Of course, I have not done a RTFM on ZL yet either, so perhaps my answers are there. These differences are what will probably drive me back to LX once an official release has been made. Assuming I can overcome the memory issues while not losing favorites. Sounds like I may need PRPRPR $if$/$when$ $I$ $move$ $back$ $to$ $LX$.
    - Fushigi
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by pamd
    Isn't the prc file labeled 1.1.2B when you download it onto your PC and look for it later? That's what I intended, anyway, so you could distinguish it from earlier versions. The file installed on your Treo 650 will still be called 1.1.1.
    I suggest that in your note to specify something like:

1. This is a BETA patch to 1.1.1 and not a new version in any way. It only fixes the lack of support for the 5-way center select button on the PalmOne T5 and Treo 650.

2. The *.prc name reflects a new version number, but due to the very unofficial nature of the patch, no new version number will show up in the device - it will still show as 1.1.1.

3. The effect of this patch on T5 devices is so far untested and the effect on other devices without the same 5-way control on them is unknown. It is recommended that you do NOT apply this patch if you do not have a T5 or Treo 650 device.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    2. The *.prc name reflects a new version number, but due to the very unofficial nature of the patch, no new version number will show up in the device - it will still show as 1.1.1.
    Thanks. Good idea, and I have edited the note on LauncherXplanet to reflect this point.
    These differences are what will probably drive me back to LX once an official release has been made.

Sounds like I may need PRPRPR $if$/$when$ $I$ $move$ $back$ $to$ $LX$.
    I would suggest the only "real" difference between a beta and a official release is the amount of testing done on the changes.
    I would not hold your breath waiting for an official release of this update. Don't forget that some official apps out there are bug ridden due to lack of beta testing. Watch this space, and you will find out if the update really works without any problems

PowerRUN works well and is easy to use. There is another app out there which does the same and is freeware, but I can not remember it's name

edit: Found it. Linkstart, worth a look
    http://www.hexview.com/linkstart/
    Last edited by ChasT; 03/06/2005 at 03:25 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    in a previous post in this thread i asked what is that you guys find so gr8 abt launcherX. well i did get my answer and have ben using it for a few days. the only thing that's good abt it is it's clean, easy to use interface.

changing the question a bit, i'd like to ask all u guys who have tried zlauncher but didn't like it.... what was your biggest peeve with zlauncher i.e. what really annoyed you the most? from what i've read on this forum, most ppl don't like it coz it's way too cluttered and unintutive, and this it was a bloat. while i don't agree with the bloat part, i do agree that the interface is a bit cluttered and it takes time getting used to.

but that said, once u get the hang of it u can customize to it and make it look very simple and clean. from what i've experienced, zlauncher does everything that launcherX does, but the same cannot be said for LX. am i missing something here?

posting snaps of both launcherX and zlauncher...

first launcherX -

http://img216.exs.cx/img216/5193/launcherx9ji.jpg

now zlauncher -

http://img215.exs.cx/img215/8591/zlauncher0gm.jpg

another one of zlauncher -

http://img215.exs.cx/img215/6762/zlauncher27sm.jpg

pls lemme know what u think.

edit: how is that i'm able to post inline images in the testing forum and not here
    Last edited by viper_; 03/06/2005 at 06:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_
    the only thing that's good abt it is it's clean, easy to use interface.
    That 'only thing' was exactly what I was looking for
    I am using and have now paid for LauncherX and I liked the simpliciy. However, the big thing that is not "clean and easy to use" is the moving and running applications from the SD card - as others have commented here. If you read pages 15 and 16 of the LauncherX manual four or five times and experiment, then you get the hang of it. Bundling and shortcuts are there, but not "easy" (which file do you drag and why twice...). In other posts people are using PowerRun to do this, although as far as I can see it does not add extra functionalty - just makes it easier to do (although may use a different implemention). I have not installed Zlauncher to see how easy it makes this.
    :menu:TreoLawrence
    Samsung I300 -> Treo 650 (Cin)
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast