Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Thanks, westronic and dzenc. I tried to load this updated version via my card reader (because of Hotsync problems). When using FileZ, it tried to overwrite the existing version but had a couple of errors while trying and aborted itself. I notice that I have 500k less in my RAM, so something was loaded but I can't tell what. There's still only one "Launcher_X.prc" in my Handheld.

Only after that did I install the update via Hotsync. After I finally got it to work, I still did not have the center-key enabled version...

Any help?
    I'd say check the card and RAM for copies of Launcher_X. Something odd is going on for sure. There's always the hard reset and start over option.

Did you check to be sure you are indeed using version 1.1.1 of Launcher_X? The size on the Treo looks different than from the backup folder, and I am only sure my file works when sync'ing it to a device with Launcher_X 1.1.1 installed. Note that the hex addresses for the fix are different when the file is on the device, leading me to believe that my file is ONLY valid if hot sync'd to put it on. Any other method of installing the file is rife with risks and unproven.

Do you have fileZ? If nothing else works, I suggest you un-install LauncherX and use fileZ to look for any left-over Launcher_X files, then delete them. Then re-install Launcher_X and sync the file I provided. Of course, you'll have to re-register the app and reset all preferences, so this is pretty much a last resort.

For the last method, if you save the LauncherX_Database.PDB from your backup on your PC and then sync that after the re-install, it might save you the trouble of setting all preferences, tabs, icon location, etc. I haven't done this, so I can't be sure.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/02/2005 at 06:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Yes, it does do this. (I am talking about LauncherX)
    Hmm... I tested this a while back and LX wasn't able to run some of my apps (with db's) off the card, but PowerRun did. I'm gonna have to test this out again. Thanks for the 411.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, just for me, ZL is just too much.
    First I want a nice interface. I prefer the look of LX better. Thats all I'm asking. ZL has many features, such as being able to move and run programs from the SD card. I use PowerRun for this. I like PowerRun, because, if I get tired of LX, ZL, SilverScreen, whatever, my programs will still run off the card with the stock Palm interface. If I relied solely on ZL for this, I'm stuck.

ZL has a pretty decent File Explorer. However, I already have Resco, and there is always FileZ which can be had for free. So, that wasn't needed.

In my case case, other than just liking the appearance better, ZL was overkill for me. Don't need the file browser. Had PowerRun, so didn't need ZL for that.

Overall, LX is just simpler.
    I realize that you like LX and that I am preaching to the choir here, but in the event that someone reads this post and doesn't have the benefit....

LauncherX also has a built in file manager just like ZLauncher.

Cheers, I am in the middle of a Hard Reset and restore, only back to LX this time....WOOhHOoooo!
    Thanks again for the patch.
    Oh and THANKS dzenc!!
    Re "Bundling" Apps

If you have several databases you wish to bundle with the application, use Filez to mark them all. Then when you move the PRC/program to the card, the databases move too. I did this with my Brainforest application and I'm very happy with the result.

P.S. Actually, I moved only my archived files to the card as these will no longer be hotsynced or edited. The active brainforest files are still on the handheld. To edit these, I created a shortcut on the handheld. So end result is this:
    - when I load brainforest from the card, I see all 78 of my BF files
    - when I load using the shortcut, I see only mu 36 active BF files
    hey guys, sorry to be a pain in the a$$, but could anyone please post the patched file? i followed the instructions and when i look up "$025126" i get 0D instead of 36D. and in case you ask, i downloaded v. 1.1.1 thats the size specified above direct from the launcher x website.. thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    hey guys, sorry to be a pain in the a$$, but could anyone please post the patched file? i followed the instructions and when i look up "$025126" i get 0D instead of 36D. and in case you ask, i downloaded v. 1.1.1 thats the size specified above direct from the launcher x website.. thanks!
    Go to #33 on page 2 for the patched download
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    There are two things that wound up forcing my hand to move from LX to ZL:

1. 5-way support. I'm glad this is fixed, even if it is an unofficial patch.
    2. Launching apps from Favorites when the app has been moved to SD. LX doesn't appear to support this, but ZL does (please correct me if I'm wrong). With the RAM issues, this has been a necessity for me & the way I use my 650.

I still prefer LX's look & feel to ZL, but will probably stay with ZL until LX officially solves my two concerns above.
    - Fushigi
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by MapaMan
    Re "Bundling" Apps

If you have several databases you wish to bundle with the application, use Filez to mark them all. Then when you move the PRC/program to the card, the databases move too. I did this with my Brainforest application and I'm very happy with the result.

P.S. Actually, I moved only my archived files to the card as these will no longer be hotsynced or edited. The active brainforest files are still on the handheld. To edit these, I created a shortcut on the handheld. So end result is this:
    - when I load brainforest from the card, I see all 78 of my BF files
    - when I load using the shortcut, I see only mu 36 active BF files
    Hmmm... this did not work that way for me. I could bundle an app with its same-name database just fine, but otherwise it did not work. This may have to do with the way an app is written.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi
    There are two things that wound up forcing my hand to move from LX to ZL:

2. Launching apps from Favorites when the app has been moved to SD. LX doesn't appear to support this, but ZL does (please correct me if I'm wrong). With the RAM issues, this has been a necessity for me & the way I use my 650.

I still prefer LX's look & feel to ZL, but will probably stay with ZL until LX officially solves my two concerns above.
    I'm confused - what do you mean by "Favorites?" I ask because LauncherX can move apps to the SD card and then launch them using a shortcut it creates that stays in RAM.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/03/2005 at 11:09 AM.
    I've just tried PowerRUN, which I now think is the perfect companion to LX.

One thing I like is the fact that the shortcut remains visible, even if you remove the SD card.

Also PowerRun make a directory for you apps on the card, in which you can see the files which it has moved.

I've now gone from 10MB free to 13.7MB free, just by moving apps I don't use that much.

Give it a try and I think you will be impressed.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH DZENC, ive tried using zl, cant get it working the way i want. launcher x offers me everything i want, and i dont really worry with powerrun cause i just copy programs i want to run from the mem card into the launcher folder. no problems so far, and much more convenient than having to rely on a third party app...
    I'm confused - what do you mean by "Favorites?" I ask because LauncherX can move apps to the SD card and then launch them using a shortcut it creates that stays in RAM..
    Favorites is the special list, including speed dial numbers, applications, and urls, that starts under the dial pad on the green "phone" key. (On the 600 it is accessed by pressing the up key on the 5-way from the dial pad screen.)

One sets this to an application by "editing" the key and selecting an application from a drop down menu. LauncherX shortcuts do not appear in the list of applications that can be chosen. Said another way, a favorites button cannot be assoiciated with an application on the SD card, at least when using LauncherX, but may be with zLauncher.

This may be because of a difference in the way these two programs work. zLauncher creates a shortcut for things that one moves to the card while LauncherX creates shortcuts for what it finds in /Palm/Launcher. Each approach has its advantages. LauncherX will work better for multiple SD cards, each with a different set of appls.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Favorites is the special list, including speed dial numbers, applications, and urls, that starts under the dial pad on the green "phone" key. (On the 600 it is accessed by pressing the up key on the 5-way from the dial pad screen.) ...
    I see - the favorites are buttons on the Treo 650 are restricted and not assignable to any app you want.

The ability to assign shortcuts to "favorites" his is not not an issue for the Treo 650, it seems, though I guess it is for the Treo 600 where you can assign a "favorite" to any app.

EDIT: I stand corrected - I see now how to put applications in as a favorite.

And you are right - you cannot assign a shortcut to a "favorite" button.

That's one thing in favor of ZLauncher.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/03/2005 at 12:50 PM.
    I see - the favorites are buttons on the Treo 650 are seem to be restricted and not assignable to any app you want, this is not not an issue for the Treo 650, it seems.
    I am unable to parse this sentence. Can you clarify?
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I am unable to parse this sentence. Can you clarify?
    Sorry - see the edit above.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    westronic - I believe whmurray answered your question. If not, I'll attempt to expand on it.

I don't recall if it was an issue on the T600 or not, but with the 650's RAM issues, being able to run apps from the SD card is a necessity for me. In short, what I did with LX 'because I can' on the 600 I do with ZL 'because I must' on the 650. Jeez, Bejeweled 2 is over 2MB alone.

When using LX, I cannot assign an app to a Favorites button if I moved the app to the SD card (using LX). When using ZL, I can.

Favorites should be assignable to any app or virtually any file on the Treo. That you cannot assign a Favorite to something on the SD card exposes the fallacy behind P1 offering the free 128MB card. Fat lot of good it does me if the Treo doesn't support it fully.

As long as I'm ranting, why can't I put an MP3 (or other data file) as a Favorite and have it launch pTunes (or other app) automatically?
    - Fushigi
    When using LX, I cannot assign an app to a Favorites button if I moved the app to the SD card (using LX). When using ZL, I can.

Favorites should be assignable to any app or virtually any file on the Treo. That you cannot assign a Favorite to something on the SD card exposes the fallacy behind P1 offering the free 128MB card. Fat lot of good it does me if the Treo doesn't support it fully.
    It can be done with PowerRun as well.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  20.    #80  
    westronic - I believe whmurray answered your question. If not, I'll attempt to expand on it.

I don't recall if it was an issue on the T600 or not, but with the 650's RAM issues, being able to run apps from the SD card is a necessity for me. In short, what I did with LX 'because I can' on the 600 I do with ZL 'because I must' on the 650. Jeez, Bejeweled 2 is over 2MB alone.

As long as I'm ranting, why can't I put an MP3 (or other data file) as a Favorite and have it launch pTunes (or other app) automatically?
    I stand corrected - I see now how to put applications in as a favorite.

And you are right - you cannot assign a shortcut to a "favorite" button.

That's one thing in favor of ZLauncher.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast