Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    It's been a bit of an eye opener how many other people love LauncherX.

I've been tempted by some of the other Launchers, so lets make more noise, and perhaps we would get the whole project going again
    A friend of mine who is a long time Palm user told me that LauncherX is used by people that care about functionality, efficiency and clean/simple STABLE interfaces and that other launchers like Silkscreen, ZLauncher, etc are used by people who care more about looks and accepts the occasional crash.

No flaming allowed - I'm juuust quoting
    Whoa, everybody's happy in here!!

I've been a LauncherX fan since the beginning of the Treo 600, but I deserted it after I got my 650 and went to ZLauncher. Now I gotta debate whether I wanna go back to the simple UI LauncherX (which I like a lot) or stay with ZLauncher for its memory saving feature. Decisions, decisions.

Anyways, thanks for sharing the patch!! I'll give it a try!
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    I guess that's okay. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. ONLY works if you have LauncherX 1.1.1 ALREADY INSTALLED. It may or may not work properly otherwise, and certainly will not be a registered copy - it's only registered if you are a registered user already.

ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEES THAT THIS WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM AND PULL YOU INTO A BLACK HOLE WHERE YOU WILL BE LOST FOREVER!

westronic, you are The Man!
    i've seen so many guys.. almost everyone rooting for "power run" and "launcherX" and giving zlauncher a thumbs down. i don't have a treo 650 and that's only coz it ain't available where i am yet. never owned a palm before so everything is new to me and i don't have any favourites....

i download the sim and have been working with for a few days. when i first downloaded and ran zlauncher i couldn't understand a thing and it was so frustrating that i closed the whole sim in less than five minutes. since then i've been doing some research and have finally gotten the hang of it and think it is a gr8 software.

so what i want to know is that what makes launcherX so special and why is it so much better than zlauncher for u guys? please be a little elaborate if possible.

thanx.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30
    Now I gotta debate whether I wanna go back to the simple UI LauncherX (which I like a lot) or stay with ZLauncher for its memory saving feature. Decisions, decisions.
    If you mean the ability to move application to the card..LauncherX does that as well
    is there any noticable speed difference in using them? i just downloaded launcherX and it seems just a tad bit zippier than zlauncher.... on the sim atleast.

and what about the overall performance when it comes to running apps from an external card?
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_
    so what i want to know is that what makes launcherX so special and why is it so much better than zlauncher for u guys? please be a little elaborate if possible.
    thanx.
    Well, just for me, ZL is just too much.
    First I want a nice interface. I prefer the look of LX better. Thats all I'm asking. ZL has many features, such as being able to move and run programs from the SD card. I use PowerRun for this. I like PowerRun, because, if I get tired of LX, ZL, SilverScreen, whatever, my programs will still run off the card with the stock Palm interface. If I relied solely on ZL for this, I'm stuck.

ZL has a pretty decent File Explorer. However, I already have Resco, and there is always FileZ which can be had for free. So, that wasn't needed.

In my case case, other than just liking the appearance better, ZL was overkill for me. Don't need the file browser. Had PowerRun, so didn't need ZL for that.

Overall, LX is just simpler.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    If you mean the ability to move application to the card..LauncherX does that as well
    Yeah, but it doesn't move database files (.pdb) and these databases can be quite large. LauncherX is great if you're just moving the .prc file.
    What database files would you need to move. This is probably a newbie question, but I have never run into space constaraints up until the 650. So I am still figuring out what can and con not be done.
    well i have all three on my sim right now i.e PRPRPR, $LX$ $and$ $ZL$

just one doubt here... with zlauncher i can move apps to the sd card and can also see them (the icon) in the launcher window with a '*' next to it. and to run it all i got to is click on it.

is it possible o do the same with the "power run", launcherX configuration? i wouldn't want to first run PRPRPR $and$ $then$ $select$ $the$ $app$ $i$ $want$ $to$ $run$. $and$ $from$ $what$ $i$'$ve$ $read$ $in$ $this$ $forum$, $there$ $are$ $a$ $few$ $compatibility$ $issues$ $between$ $PR$ $and$ &$quot$;$Uninstall$ $Manager$&$quot$;, $is$ $it$ $correct$? $one$ $last$ $thing$, $from$ $all$ $the$ $two$ $minutes$ $that$ $i$'$ve$ $been$ $using$ $LX$, $i$ $dont$ $see$ $an$ $option$ $to$ $decrease$ $the$ $icon$ $size$ $of$ $the$ $apps$... $which$ $i$ $think$ $is$ $a$ $real$ $cool$ $feature$ $with$ $ZL$?

sorry for the noob questions

edit: there is an option in LX prefs where i could give the path of an item from the external card, but can i also move apps with it?
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Well I have downloaded it ready for when Orange decide to sell me a 650, max 2 weeks hopefully ...
    I think (but am not absolutely sure) that, to install this properly, you need to first install LauncherX 1.1.1 and THEN sync this file. It will then replace the Launcher_X.prc file that the original install creates on your Treo 650.
    I'm not sure of the incompatabilities with PRPRPR $and$ $Uninstall$.

As to working with PRPRPR, $no$ $you$ $do$ $not$ $need$ $to$ $initiate$ $it$. $Any$ $app$ $loaded$ $to$ $the$ $card$ $via$ $PR$ $will$ $also$ $have$ * $next$ $to$ $it$. $You$ $just$ $run$ $PR$ $to$ $move$ $the$ $program$ $to$ $card$, ($or$ $back$ $to$ $RAM$ $or$ $delete$ $it$.) $Once$ $a$ $program$ $has$ $been$ $moved$ $on$ $to$ $the$ $card$, $all$ $you$ $have$ $to$ $do$ $is$ $tap$ $its$ $icon$, $like$ $any$ $other$ $program$, $and$ $it$ $will$ $open$. ($You$'$ll$ $get$ $the$ $PR$ $screen$ $telling$ $you$ $it$ $is$ $loading$ $for$ $a$ $second$.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30
    Yeah, but it doesn't move database files (.pdb) and these databases can be quite large. LauncherX is great if you're just moving the .prc file.
    Yes, it does do this. (I am talking about LauncherX)

The .pdb needs to be "bundled" with it's associated .prc file. A test I just did for this is with the Battery Graph application. I opened both files (BatteryGraph.pdb and BatteryGraph.pdb) with the built-in file viewer/editor and set the "bundled" bit for both. Then I dragged the BatteryGraph icon to the card gadget and moved it to the card. Both the .prc and .pdb files were moved, and it runs just fine, though it does move both files to ram first, so it takes longer to launch.

Gotta love it!!

Note that this makes it very easy to move only the .prc file, in the case of a .prc file that's large with a small data file. The data files can still sync because they are in memory (I think - I have yet to check this), while the .prc file sits on card the NOT taking up valuable memory.

This does not work with .prc files that use multliple.pdb files, as they are not named the same. I presume there is still some way to bundle them, but the developer must do that, I guess. I do not know, really.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/02/2005 at 02:53 PM.
    Oh man.....and after I already bought ZL and everything.......

I tried LauncherX and went with ZL specifically because LauncherX did not provide 5 way support.......

Nice fix - you "coder"s AMAZE ME!!
    Yes, it does do this. The .pdb needs to be "bundled" with it's associated .prc file. A test I just did for this is with the Battery Graph application. I opened both files (BatteryGraph.pdb and BatteryGraph.pdb) with the built-in file viewer/editor and set the "bundled" bit for both. Then I dragged the BatteryGraph icon to the card gadget and moved it to the card. Both the .prc and .pdb files were moved, and it runs just fine, though it does move both files to ram first, so it takes longer to launch.

Gotta love it!!
    I lost the context. Are you talking about zLauncher or LauncherX?
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_
    ... one last thing, from all the two minutes that i've been using LX, i dont see an option to decrease the icon size of the apps... which i think is a real cool feature with ZL?

sorry for the noob questions

edit: there is an option in LX prefs where i could give the path of an item from the external card, but can i also move apps with it?
    1. Yes, icons can be normal size or small.

2. For running apps off a card, you drag the app icon to the "card" gadget at the bottom (by default) of the screen and you then tell the device where to install the app. A shortcut is automatically created that knows where the app is located on the card.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I lost the context. Are you talking about zLauncher or LauncherX?

LauncherX. I know little about how Zlauncher does this. I'll edit my post to make this clear.
    thanx a lot guys... this forum rocks! i'll have to keep tinkering to figure what's the best solution for me, ofcourse i'll be able to decide only when i get my hands on a treo

dunno why but i think i'm leaning towards LX already!
    Last edited by viper_; 03/02/2005 at 04:22 PM.
    I think (but am not absolutely sure) that, to install this properly, you need to first install LauncherX 1.1.1 and THEN sync this file. It will then replace the Launcher_X.prc file that the original install creates on your Treo 650.
    Cheers westronic I knew that, but if I didn't it would have caused a lot of grief I expect.

So thanks for the help anyway
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Thanks, westronic and dzenc. I tried to load this updated version via my card reader (because of Hotsync problems). When using FileZ, it tried to overwrite the existing version but had a couple of errors while trying and aborted itself. I notice that I have 500k less in my RAM, so something was loaded but I can't tell what. There's still only one "Launcher_X.prc" in my Handheld.

Only after that did I install the update via Hotsync. After I finally got it to work, I still did not have the center-key enabled version...

Any help?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast