Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Cool dzenc!!! If I'm doing the editing properly, my values are coming up 3F instead of 36. Any ideas?
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I'm so excited that you all were able to get this to work as I love LX, but I am completely lost. I dl'ed the hex editor, loaded the lX.prc file and it's a big spreadsheet of gobbledy gook. I have no idea what to make of that and what to do. Forgive, but could someone either send me the fixed prc file or walk me through in baby steps what to do? I hate to be soooo needy, but you guys went way beyond me. I assumed that it would be obvious what to do with the hex editor, but as silly as this sounds, I didn't even see any $ signs...
    I tried but could not get it to work...

Need more detailed instructions for those who are not coders...
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott
    I'm so excited that you all were able to get this to work as I love LX, but I am completely lost. I dl'ed the hex editor, loaded the lX.prc file and it's a big spreadsheet of gobbledy gook. I have no idea what to make of that and what to do. Forgive, but could someone either send me the fixed prc file or walk me through in baby steps what to do? I hate to be soooo needy, but you guys went way beyond me. I assumed that it would be obvious what to do with the hex editor, but as silly as this sounds, I didn't even see any $ signs...
    You won't see $ signs...

okay, first thing is obviously open XVI32 (the hex editor) and then load the .prc file.

Once you've got the gibberish onscreen, click Address>Go To. Type the hex to search for (for instance 058E84). It will jump to that point. Once its highlight, just type the new value, no need to click on anything, once you type, it changes. When all is done, save it, and sync. Good Luck
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by kennywest
    I tried but could not get it to work...

Need more detailed instructions for those who are not coders...
    Okay, here's a step-by-step:

NOTE: Your version of LauncherX MUST be 1.1.1 for this to work.

1. Look in your backup folder (in my case, C:\Program Files\palmOne\WestwaW\Backup) and find Launcher_X.PRC. It should be 460,844 bytes - right click on it and check it's properties and you should see it listed as:

Size: 450 KB (460,844 bytes) (this should be an exact match)
    Size on disk: 480 KB (491,520 bytes) (this will vary somewhat, depending on whether you have FAT, FAT32 or NTFS - don't worry about it, or what FAT, FAT32 or NTFS mean - none of that matters for what you are doing here).

2. Copy that file to somewhere else (desktop will do).

3. Install XVI32 (a hex editor) from http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...vi32/xvi32.htm

4. Open the copy of Launcher_X.prc (from step 2) with XVI32. (You could right click on it and use "Open with... to do this)

5. Use the "Address" "GoTo..." command to find the first address to change. Input "$025126" and click on "OK".

6. Note that "36" is highlighted. Type "3D" and you'll see that "36" just got replaced with "3D".

7. Repeat steps (5) and (6) with $025172, $025192, and then $039AA4.

8. Save the file (click on File-Save).

9. Exit XVI32

10. Double click on the Launcher_X.prc file - the one you just edited.

11. Sync the device with your computer.

12. Done!! You'll get the initial opening screen from Launcher X, but do not be concerned. All your preferences, tabs and icons are still there, and you are still registered.

Please let me know if anything is unclear or does not seem to work so I can update these instructions. Also I'd like to note that this is not the only way to do this, but this works and I think is relatively easy to do.

OPERATION:

Click the center button to go to the icons within a tab.
    Navigate using the four direction keys and click the center button the launch the app.
    Navigating past the last icon with the "right" key takes you back up to the tab.
    Navigating to before the first icon with the "left" key takes you back up to the tab.
    The "up" or "down" keys will do nothing if you are on the first or last row of icons, respectively.
    Using the "home" button will advance you to the next tab as usual - even if an icon is highlighted.

Gadgets work too. You just need to hold down the OPTION key while using the 5-way navigator. "Up" and "Left" are synonymous, as are "Down and "Right". Careful, though, it's easy to click the center "Select" button twice while holding the options key down, and this might have undesirable results.

Have fun!!
    Last edited by westronic; 03/02/2005 at 10:57 AM.
    OK! Figured it out just prior to your posting the above.. SUCCESS! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    Here's an even cheaper solution. ;-)

This finally bugged me enough to go track down the problem. Looks like they added a new keycode to the Treo 650 API that Launcher X doesn't like. The fix is relatively simple.

WARNING: BE CAREFUL. MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SYSTEM. I've only tested this for about 5 minutes. You have been warned.

Copy the file over to your PC, load up a hex editor, and modify the following bytes in your Launcher_X.prc file (this is from the version 1.1.1 file that was installed on my Treo, your mileage may vary!)

offest 025126: change $36 to $3D
    offest 025172: change $36 to $3D
    offset 025192: change $36 to $3D
    offset 039AA4: change $36 to $3D

(If somebody has a user id on the Launcher X support forum, I would appreciate it if you would go over there and post a pointer to this message. Thanks!)
    If the fix is this simple, how come the authors have not pulbished an update?
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    If the fix is this simple, how come the authors have not pulbished an update?
    Maybe because this ONLY activates the middle button - it does not give you a way to get to the "gadgets" without a stylus, so it's not really a complete solution for full Treo 650 functionality? Just a guess.

Or maybe because Will Lau (the developer) has too many other things to worry about and this is too low a priority for him to have even realized how easy it is?

I don't know - I only know this works. I also don't know how on earth "dzenc" discovered this, but I'm glad he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Maybe because this ONLY activates the middle button - it does not give you a way to get to the "gadgets" without a stylus, so it's not really a complete solution for full Treo 650 functionality? Just a guess.
    Gadgets work too. You just need to hold down the OPTION key while using the 5-way navigator.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    Gadgets work too. You just need to hold down the OPTION key while using the 5-way navigator.
    Cool. I'll update my "OPERATION" instruction above.
    Rather than requiring all of us LX on t650 users to manually patch each instance of the application, perhaps someone with a successful patch would be so kind as to upload it here?

It's not like we're breaking the registration or anything of that ilk.

Thanks if you do. (Though I confess, next time I'm at a desktop for an hour I'll take the time to fiddle with it some myself. Unless someone else has already posted it.)
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Got it. Works. This is sooooo awesome. How in the world did you ever figure this out??? I really didn't like Zlauncher, so I'm so pleased to have LX working just as it should. Such an awesome program and I'm thankful for your insights in solving its key failing!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by bklech
    Rather than requiring all of us LX on t650 users to manually patch each instance of the application, perhaps someone with a successful patch would be so kind as to upload it here?

It's not like we're breaking the registration or anything of that ilk.

Thanks if you do. (Though I confess, next time I'm at a desktop for an hour I'll take the time to fiddle with it some myself. Unless someone else has already posted it.)
    I guess that's okay. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. ONLY works if you have LauncherX 1.1.1 ALREADY INSTALLED. It may or may not work properly otherwise, and certainly will not be a registered copy - it's only registered if you are a registered user already.

ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEES THAT THIS WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM AND PULL YOU INTO A BLACK HOLE WHERE YOU WILL BE LOST FOREVER!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by westronic; 03/02/2005 at 11:20 AM.
    OK...I took a leap of faith and downloaded the prc file that westronic was kind enough to add to this thread and.....

it worked WONDERFULLY!!!!!

I didnt realize until this worked how extremely useful it is.

To me LauncherX has always been THE palm launcher and this just makes me like it so much more! Great!!

Oh - and I'm using the spacebar to get 'back' to the tabs when browsing the apps within a tab. Is that the the way you guys do it as well?

Happy, Happy, Happy.

Launcher X Rulez!!!!!

(oh and I just checked - downloading this prc file does not make you 'lose' your registration if you're already a registered user).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    OK...I took a leap of faith and downloaded the prc file that westronic was kind enough to add to this thread and.....

it worked WONDERFULLY!!!!!

I didnt realize until this worked how extremely useful it is.

To me LauncherX has always been THE palm launcher and this just makes me like it so much more! Great!!

Oh - and I'm using the spacebar to get 'back' to the tabs when browsing the apps within a tab. Is that the the way you guys do it as well?

Happy, Happy, Happy.

Launcher X Rulez!!!!!

(oh and I just checked - downloading this prc file does not make you 'lose' your registration if you're already a registered user).
    Well if this posted file works for Tiffany, that's good enough for me!
    I downloaded it and was waiting for someone to install it to make sure it works and I know how picky Tiffany is about apps working and not causing crashes...
    Thanks guys!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Well if this posted file works for Tiffany, that's good enough for me!
    I downloaded it and was waiting for someone to install it to make sure it works and I know how picky Tiffany is about apps working and not causing crashes...
    Thanks guys!
    Well, we've pretty much all installed it (whether we hacked it ourselves, or those that took the ready made file.) There hasn't been a complaint yet! I'm lovin' it!!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Well I have downloaded it ready for when Orange decide to sell me a 650, max 2 weeks hopefully

It's been a bit of an eye opener how many other people love LauncherX.

I've been tempted by some of the other Launchers, so lets make more noise, and perhaps we would get the whole project going again
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Well since no one posted after the ready made file was posted I just wanted to make sure that "it" worked before I installed it. I really didn't want to hack it myself.
    I didn't doubt whether the hacked version worked or not, I can see that it has.
    I just installed it and yes it works great! A big thank you to dzenc and all who have made this possible!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Well since no one posted after the ready made file was posted I just wanted to make sure that "it" worked before I installed it. I really didn't want to hack it myself.
    I didn't doubt whether the hacked version worked or not, I can see that it has.
    I just installed it and yes it works great! A big thank you to dzenc and all who have made this possible!
    Ahhh...gotcha! Makes sense. Well, all is bliss again in LauncherX land...more or less.

westronic you rule! Thanks for the mod file. Works great! Thanks also to dzenc for finding the fix. Insterested in hacking roms?
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast