1.    #1  
    OK, I probably have your attention with the title, but hear me out... I don't yet own a 650 (waiting on p1-->VC with ~500 other roadshow attendees) but a friend has a Sprint 650 which I've gotten to explore extensively. I just can't seem to warm-up to web browsing on the 650... the pixel density is so high on that small screen that many web page elements are just too damn small to be practical. My 600 seems to have to "down-rez" a lot of things to fit a 160-pixel width, but these same things are difficult to read on the 650 at full res. It seems many mobile sites are optimized for a width of 240 pixels that 240 may indeed be the optimal compromise.

Case in point... surf here on your 650:

http://www.accuweather.com/pda/pda_5dy.asp

This site looks best on a non-VGA PPC, but some of it (especially the legend and text on radar images) is downright difficult on 320 x 320. I view this on wide screen mode on my 600 (horizontal scrolling is minimal) but a lot of screen real estate goes to waste on the 650. Same holds true for much of the content accessed for www.pdaportal.us

I've been playing with a Nokia 6620 for the past few days (very impressed thus far, BTW) and its screen is 176 x 208. Though not the more mainstream 240 width, it's much easier to use many web sites (both reformatted and in "desktop" mode) than on the 650.

Just wanted to provide the viewpoint that "more isn't always better".

Todd/Indy
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Case in point... surf here on your 650:

http://www.accuweather.com/pda/pda_5dy.asp

This site looks best on a non-VGA PPC, but some of it (especially the legend and text on radar images) is downright difficult on 320 x 320.
    "Mmmm... yeeaah... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there."
    More IS always better.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    I went there on my 650 and it looked great bet u still use 640 by 480 on your home computer lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    More IS always better.
    Yeah, if I could get 640x640...
    well I would say that Todd may be in the minority here. Even with the satellite images, I prefer the density of the images. One thing I do think is less desirable is the longer load times when using the 650 vs my 600 when browsing web pages with large amounts of data.

Of course this is a trade off with the denser display. I like the display and can accept the slower load time.

Another point is that with the better display, photo images are much better looking, whether shot with the built in camera or imported in from another source.

Don't even get started on the camera..
    Gene
    I don't think I would even go so far as to call it a camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Ideal Screen Res--Is 320 x 320 too Much?
    SACRILEGE!!!!
    You cant blame the 650 for websites desinged to be viewed at 160x160.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Went to that website and things look fine. Would the icons have been nicer if they were a bit bigger, sure. But it's no big deal. When looking at something that requires great image detail, e.g., a map, I just switch to wide view.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    You cant blame the 650 for websites desinged to be viewed at 160x160.
    Exactly. Some apps (or web sites) designed for 160x160 look worse when viewed at 320x320. When designed for 320x320 they look SO much better it's amazing.
    I held off on buying the Treo 600 because of low screen resolution. I have a lot of family pictures on my SD card and like to be able to show friends the high rez photos.

I have shown the T650 screen to many T600 users and they immediately get Palm-envy.
    Visited that link on my 650, looks good, don't have trouble reading any of it.

If you want 160x160 (perplexed why anyone would) , stick with the 600?
    1 | 2
  14.    #14  
    Guess I don't explain myself very clearly at 3AM... The point I was making is the apparent size of images can be quite small, even at full resolution (wide screen mode, or whatever it's called on the 650). I wasn't faulting the quality of the images at all. The upcoming HP Mobile Messenger will be a 240 x 240 device. So, should they even bother building it?

Todd/Indy