1.    #1  

http://www.novii.tv/nrdeluxe
    or
    http://www.pacificneotek.com/omniProfsw.htm

How much RAM do they take up? Run from the SD card?

I think such a software will be a hoot to show off at parties..(hijack your host's entertainment system!!)

Aloke
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Novii Remote is great. It takes up about 2MB total with most of the stuff The first Treo had great range, but it crapped out. My second one doesn't *seem* to, but I have a built-in wall infrared sensor that blinks, and I got a good meter or so away. The line of sight, or infrared cone emanating from the Treo is the biggest factor (it's very narrow), and requires pretty accurate aim.

So it was pretty much useless for me, so it's since been deleted.
    Those look really cool, and would be a fun toy.

But, I wouldn't use them much so I'd rather not pay for them. Anyone know where I could get any similar apps for free?
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  4.    #4  
    The user forums on their site says the same thing (beam too narrow.. short range).

I gave up on the idea of using such software ..

Aloke
    I imagine at some point cable companies will put bluetooth on their boxes -- that will be awesome.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Last I checked, OmniRemote wouldn't work correctly on the Treo650. NoviiRemote works just fine.

As mentioned tho, the range of the IR on the 650 is less than useful.

Good for having around a house where remotes tend to disappear tho. Especially with electronics nowadays that cannot be operated effectively w/o them.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    handy, if you have free memory. Good lucking moving TomTom, and Docs to Go to SD Card. Flake city!

Not practical... They suck because you have to point directly at the device.
  9.    #9  
    I wonder why the narrow beam isn't a problem when beaming files etc to other palm devices ... Is it because we are typically close to the other Palm device when beaming data? In that case, the coverage (laterally) from a narrow beam would be even worse!

I would have thought that Treo (and other Palms) have wide angle beams, but apparently not.

Aloke
    Is there a free software that does something similar? I am only wanting it to learn a few commands for controlling a kenwood display and opening the garage door. If not, can the novi learn these commands from any remote?
    Noviiremote makes a booster for the SD slot that increases the angle and gives a range up to 75 feet. I have not tried one though...

http://store.treocentral.com/content...46-81--335.htm
    Last edited by SprintTreoUser; 11/06/2005 at 11:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    OmniRemote just announced support for the Treo650. I've been using NoviiRemote .. works fine
  13. mss
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger
    Is there a free software that does something similar? I am only wanting it to learn a few commands for controlling a kenwood display and opening the garage door. If not, can the novi learn these commands from any remote?
    Sure. Novii learns from original remote control, and you can download the codebase archive from their site if you don't want to learn