1.    #1  
    Hey All I have a question about connecting a GSM Treo 600 to a Windows XP computer. Do I need to install the whole installtion application to get Windows to see the GSM Treo 600? I tried just connecting the GSM Treo 600 to the computer without installing the application and reiceved a message warning it could not see the handheld device. I figured if I just connect the device to Windows, it will prompted me for the drivers which it did not.

I also got my hand on a CDMA Treo 600 phone and tried to just connect the phone to the computer without any software Treo installs. When connecting it, Windows prompts right away for drivers. Any clue why I cannot get the GSM to do the same? I tried it on several GSM phones on hand and they all gave me the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    You need to add the administrator or domain admin security role to your Win XP account, and *then* installing the Palm Desktop software. Once Palm Desktop has been installed, you should also install any third-party conduits such as the palmOne Outlook conduit and Documents To Go. Once all of the software has been installed, you should HotSync the device. During this time, the USB driver for the Treo 600 will be installed. The USB driver is in the Palm application directory. You choose the Palm application directory when you install Palm Desktop. The default value for the Treo 600 if you have not preiviously used Palm Desktop on the computer before would be c:\program files\palmone.

Once you have confirmed that the Treo is HotSync'ing to the computer, either to Palm Desktop or to Microsoft Outlook, the admin role can be safely revoked from your Win XP user account.

Alan G
    Rtfm?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  4.    #4  
    My account is an administrator. I would perfer not to install the Palm software/ Hot Sync because I am planning to forensically acquire a Palm. If I install the Palm software /Hot Sync and connect the Palm - it may write to the device, which is what I would want to avoid. Is there a way just to install the drivers without installing the whole software package?
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    You could use a computer that already has the software installed. If the Treo already has a HotSync ID assigned to it (and I suspect that it does), I'm not sure of a clean cut way to pull off what you are asking.

Alan G