1.    #1  
    Anyone run into this? I have a windows 2000 laptop with SP4 that is getting the above error when it tries to install the palm on it. it won't let me choose a driver or anything, just kicks back the above error. I've reinstalled the USB hubs, reinstalled the palm desktop software, everything I can think of. It's got me puzzled. I even installed M$'s patch for devices not loading (Windows2000-KB822831-x86-ENU).

If I look in the setupapi.log file I find the following:

[2005/02/28 16:57:12 1400.2]
    Munged cmdline: rundll32.exe newdev.dll,DevInstall USB\Vid_0000&Pid_0000\6&7f2845d&0&1
    EXE name: C:\WINNT\system32\rundll32.exe
    Set selected driver.
    Searching for hardware ID(s): usb\unknown
    Searching for compatible ID(s): usb\unknown
    Enumerating files C:\WINNT\inf\*.inf
    Found USB\UNKNOWN in C:\WINNT\inf\usb.inf; Device: Unknown Device; Driver: Unknown Device; Provider: Microsoft; Mfg: (Standard USB Host Controller); Section: BADDEVICE.Dev
    Decorated section name: BADDEVICE.Dev
    Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
    Selected driver installs from section BADDEVICE.Dev in c:\winnt\inf\usb.inf.
    Changed class GUID of device to {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
    Set selected driver.
    Selected best compatible driver.
    Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
    Doing copy-only install of USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\6&7F2845D&0&1.
    Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
    Co-Installers Registered.
    Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
    Installing section BADDEVICE.Dev.Interfaces from c:\winnt\inf\usb.inf.
    Interfaces installed.
    Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
    Doing full install of USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\6&7F2845D&0&1.
    Device install finished with error Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
    Completed default installer, error: Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
    Set selected driver.
    Installing NULL driver for USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\6&7F2845D&0&1.
    Device install finished successfully (USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\6&7F2845D&0&1).

Thanks,
    Chris
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Are you installing Palm Desktop with the Administrator or Domain Admin role applied to your Win 2000 user account? You will need one of these admin roles to install Palm Desktop, any third-party conduits,and for the first sucessful HotSync. Once things are working, you can revoke the admin role.

Alan G
  3.    #3  
    I've set the user to be administrator so everything comes up under their profile. had too many problems in the past where if you installed it under another account, the user that actually needed it wouldn't have the appropriate registry keys and such. So we set them to be members of the admin group and then do the install as them, and remove the rights after the fact.
  4.    #4  
    OK, finally solved it. Turns out it was a bad Treo. hooked another up to the same cable and it was detected just fine.

The error fits a USB driver issue, but in this case it turned out to be hardware. Gonna get a replacement from our sales rep.