1.    #1  
    I can't have a camera phone for the new job for security reasons but don't want to give up my 650.

Is there a way to remove the camera? Ideally in a way that would allow me to put it back eventually?

If not, is there a way to remove it or disable it permanently without causing damage to the rest of the phone?

I remember that Verizon had a no camera version of the 600 a while back, but I can't use Verizon, and prefer a 650 and haven't seen a no camera version of the 650 anywhere.

thanks.
    you might just be stuck with having to take a different phone into work, and leaving the 650 locked up in either your car, or at home.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I thought that you could get a non-camera version of the Treo 650...maybe through Sprint.

I think I saw a post about it in this forum, but I may be wrong. Check around...
    does it need to b physicaly removed or disabled or would a software disablement do the trick?
    keocera 7035>> treo600>> treo650>>700p>>755
    Notalent, but I make up for it with lots of practice
    Sprint does offer a cameraless phone.

Follow this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=70384
    Sprint does carry a non-camera version of Treo 650. Just call Sprint and ask for one. Not sure about Cingular and ATT at this time.
  7.    #7  
    I can't have the camera even in the car in the parking lot.

I have to disable the camera sufficiently so that a security goon looking at it will be convinced that it is disabled (i.e., a software disable or mere duct tape over the lense is not sufficient). I need to either remove the camera assembly (and replace with a plug of some kind) or just take a screwdriver and a hammer to the lense (but I don't want to break anything else).

I'll ask sprint again -- when I first got this phone they claimed they didn't have a camera less phone. How could I trade a used camera 650 for a new camera less 650 without a big fee?

I'm thinking maybe a strong opaque epoxy over the lens. . .
    There was a program linked here that disabled it for a certain period of time. I don't remember what it was called but you should be able to search for it here.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    you can safely remove the camera from the phone. you will receive an error message when launching the camera app saying that it can't find the driver- viewing photos is unaffected though. The problem is to do so, you obviously need to take the case off the treo and thereby void the warranty. you need a torx #5 driver i belive and something thin to pry apart the 2 halves of the case. after that the camera and many other components are just easily unplugged with no locking mechanism.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmre2b
    ....If not, is there a way to remove it or disable it permanently without causing damage to the rest of the phone?
    thanks.
    2 mm drill bit...center punch & hammer(tap lightly)...black enamel paint...ice pick... Vulcan nerve pinch the goon...
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    Someone needs to make a 3rd party form-fit case which covers the whole camera at the back...so pretend that there's no camera in there.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson
    Someone needs to make a 3rd party form-fit case which covers the whole camera at the back...so pretend that there's no camera in there.
    If security will fall for that, I have serious concerns about our national security.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    To remove the camera you will need a large nail.

Insert Nail into lens, firmly. When you hear "crack" your camera is disabled.

I have seriousely considered doing this for some time. I am often sent to cover an event that has a security zone with regard to cameras.

No one in the world will ever believe the software lock, although I think it's a good idea.

I think if I were you, I would physically remove it VERY CAREFULLY, or spring for the camera-less version.
    would it not be possible to just get a rear cover without the hole for the lens, then just swap it out when u need the camera
    Here's the url for the non-camera version on Sprint's web site.

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp
    Maybe you can get some modeling paint that matches the 650 and paint over the lens.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    get a new job, how dare they mess with the treo!
    mt
    If it is feasible, I would get a 2nd Treo 650 or 600 w/o camera from Sprint. With the right plan, that way you can have both. I have several friends whose agencies won't allow cam-phones. A good work-around.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint