View Poll Results: What is your view of Shadowmite and his work on the TREO 650?

Voters
369. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent work; I would have returned my TREO 650 if not for Shadowmite's help

68 18.43%
  • Excellent work; I would have kept my TREO 650 without his help, but it works better with it

166 44.99%
  • Excellent work, but does not affect me/have not used it

121 32.79%
  • Shadowmite's work was a waste of time as far as I am concerned.

14 3.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A little encouragement for Shadowmite (and a kick in the a** for PalmOne....)
    I never used his stuff, but liked knowing a guy like him was around in case I ever needed him.

Just a dang shame someone would want to start a "back and forth" with him like that. I mean the guy was giving the stuff away trying to help others. He could have made a nice profit off some of his hacks, but instead went the benevolent route and still had to hear some mess.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Shadowmite is a friend of a friend. I didn't know this until just recently. While I don't know him personally, we have had a friendly email exchange whereby I offered my appreciation and words of encouragement.

I went back and read the posts. I think Terminator (er whatever his alias is) unintentionally stepped in a big pile of ****. I think his statements were more pointed at PalmOne than Shadowmite. He was criticising the fact that SM's patches have to exist in the first place, to which I think most people would agree. It didn't help that his subsequent posts became quickly arrogant and then he tried to apologize (if you want to call it that). The initial post appears to have caught SM at the wrong moment. Most technical people on this forum can understand the frustration SM must deal with supporting his free modifications and the seemingly relative lack of appreciation he receives from some folks. Helping people is sometimes a thankless job. I have experienced this myself doing PC help for neighbors, family, clients and work associates. I just tell the unappreciative to **** off. They aren't worth worrying about.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    [RANT ON]

It cracks me up to see people whining and complaining about Shadowmite's work. I think it is excellent for hackers/developers to push the envelope and work to improve things, but those of us who use these hacks have a responsibility too. We didnt pay for these hacks - they are given to us through the generosity of the hacker's heart. Therefore, they are provided "as is" with no warranty whatsoever. Use them at your own risk, unlike a Treo hardware issue, which I paid $450 for, I would DEMAND that palmOne fix it (or Cingular), because I PAID for it and it was not given to me free. If the functionality of a product that was advertised is compromised, I have a recourse. However, if I start messing around with my Treo with unofficial hacks, then I AM ON MY OWN. I've read of people applying the Sprint ROM patches to their Cingular phones and wondering what to do. What difference is there between doing THAT and throwing your Treo off a 10 story window? People need to take responsibility for their OWN actions, and if their Treo doesn't work as advertised then RETURN it and get something else. If you hacked it or misapplied a custom ROM and now it doesnt work, STEP UP TO THE PLATE and either pay to have it fixed or buy a new one. If you want to play around with hacks and custom ROMs and unofficial, uncertified software patches, then do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

[RANT OFF]

Well, I feel better now...

P.S. I tried Shadowmites BT DUN patch for GSM phones, and it worked. Great. I don't need DUN so I deleted it and moved on. I would love the custom splash screens, but it clearly states its for Sprint phones. I would also love to get rid of some ROM apps, but it CLEARLY states its not for GSM phones. So I read the threads, visit his site, enjoy it, and move on.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  5.    #5  
    WHO (WHOM?) is whining and complaining about Shadowmite's stuff?
    For the record, I am not the one who voted option D

Also, I DO think the work Shadow does is important for some folks, and a great "up yours" to PalmOne. However, I don't consider his work any special or different from the other excellent developers out there working on a LOT of freeware.
    I have detailed files.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    WHO (WHOM?) is whining and complaining about Shadowmite's stuff?
    If you read the threads over the past month, you see some folks complaing about their Cingular phones not working anymore after applying a Sprint ROM patch.

You also read other folks complaining about the BTDUN patch not being "stable". FIX IT!!! FIX IT!!!, like if Shadowmite had a magic wand to make BT DUN more stable. He just ENABLED it. It is what it is.

You also read about the wifi drivers, and how come they require a reboot and how come they dont work right and how come the install procedure is so complicated and on and on and on, like Shadowmite is responsible for the Treo 650 not supporting WIFI out of the box. Ridiculous.

The list goes on and on. I don't want to call anyone specifically out on the carpet on this, because its so obvious from the dozens of threads dealing with his work. I think some people just do not understand the nature of hacking and custom ROMs, and are just not ready to be doing stuff like that to their Treos. They read the forums, they think they know what they are doing (which they dont), then they screw up and blame the hacker. That was what my rant was all about...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I also think he's done good work but I dont understand the "screw this I'm outta here" attitude he suddenly got.

Theres alot of good developers here. If he doesnt want to contribute anymore thats fine just dont run off whining about some troll..
    Great work. Never used any of his stuff as my unlocked rocked,from day 1.
    Would have been great, if he was more humble and took the criticism (more so opinion) lightly.
    I think the stalled progress on my Wifi threads, may have been a contributing reason to some extent for a frustrating exit.
    Well,.. he is welcome if he ever decides to come back.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    ....However, I don't consider his work any special or different from the other excellent developers out there working on a LOT of freeware.
    I agree in part. However, Shadowmiteís work is differentiated from most developers because nobody else is doing it...at least nobody else has achieved any prevalence in developing custom Treo 650 ROMs that I'm aware of...and there definitely is a need for this sort of thing.

Additionally, have you noticed there isnít a tremendous amount of quality freeware available for the Treo? Everyone wants to make a buck and thatís Capitalism, but by my summation, PDA software is generally overpriced. I donít claim to understand the economy of scale associated with SW sales but I would wager some folks might be making wads of cash of some very simple software packages because they found their niche, as has Shadowmite. The difference is he is not capitalizing on it.

Contrary to most belief, freeware developers often do not produce their wares driven by a singular devotion to the betterment of humanity. More often than not, they develop a solution to their own problem. They code it and it works. They say, well, why not? Iíll offer it to the world. Additionally, many lack the business sense to capitalize on their work, opting instead to bask in the glow of notoriety. If notoriety is your only payoff, it is not difficult to imagine how angry youíll become when people start slinging ****.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    I've been reading a lot of these threads and I volunteer to be crucified.

Shadowmite didn't create anything; he took a leaked "ROM" image and hacked it up into various formats.

One could argue that what he's doing is illegal. I'm sure palmOne feels that way.

I'm sure a great many of you find his work useful, but please recognize it for what it is, ok?

Me, I'm totally disinterested... I don't care one way or the other. My Sprint 650 works just fine.

Tom
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I would not have purchased the Treo 650 if not for Shadowmite's work(s)!
    I hope to figure BT out soon. I bought one, but I'm having user error with my laptop. Shadowmite has done a lot for this forum, but he is microskinned. When you post on forums, people get more brave and will say nasty things b/c there isn't any consequences. Shadowmite appears to enjoy helping others and getting the props he deserves. But I've noticed when someone says something negative about his work, he gets extremely sensitive. Bottomline, hope he keeps contributing, but if he doesn't his contributions have been enough for me till the next Treo this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    Shadowmite...
    One could argue that what he's doing is illegal. I'm sure palmOne feels that way.
    Really? I'd like to hear that argument, but first I have to run out to the driveway and unplug the car charger from my cigarette lighter socket; since I added it after the truck rolled off the dealer lot, it must be illegal!!

Although I voted (conservatively) that I would have kept my Treo 650 without Shadowmite's enhancements, I suspect P1's only "feeling" about this matter is that a lot of sales were preserved that otherwise would have resulted in returned units, most significantly over the voice quality issue. (Wouldya believe it--this thing's a phone!!)
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    All right, Who taught GWB how to conduct T/C polls? Now we'll never hear the end of it. Next poll will be about the Treo650's fantstic screen

Btw, I voted C.
    VetPsychWars - Is right. Tweaking ROMs can be cited as a violation of the DMCA. Heck with the DMCA most any tinkering with a sold product's code can be interpreted as a violation.

PalmOne could easily make the case if they wished. The leaked ROM image could be treated like proprietary information. Making an easy case leveraging the DMCA.
  17.    #17  
    HA! Don't need to take a poll about that, now do we?
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    All right, Who taught GWB how to conduct T/C polls? Now we'll never hear the end of it. Next poll will be about the Treo650's fantstic screen

Btw, I voted C.

LOL..
    He does not even own one?
    How can we trust his intelligence ?
    I have a dialer patch and custom ROM #5. Together they make my Treo so much better. Thanks shadowmite.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    VetPsychWars - Is right. Tweaking ROMs can be cited as a violation of the DMCA. Heck with the DMCA most any tinkering with a sold product's code can be interpreted as a violation.

PalmOne could easily make the case if they wished. The leaked ROM image could be treated like proprietary information. Making an easy case leveraging the DMCA.
    only if the rom was encrypted.

was it?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast