View Poll Results: What is your view of Shadowmite and his work on the TREO 650?

Voters
369. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent work; I would have returned my TREO 650 if not for Shadowmite's help

68 18.43%
  • Excellent work; I would have kept my TREO 650 without his help, but it works better with it

166 44.99%
  • Excellent work, but does not affect me/have not used it

121 32.79%
  • Shadowmite's work was a waste of time as far as I am concerned.

14 3.79%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Letsgoflyers, are Congratulations in order?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    only if the rom was encrypted.

was it?
    No, it does not have to be encrypted to be copyrighted. The ROM is property of palmOne, and its unauthorized use is a violation of copyright law.

Period.

No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    The DMCA has been "stretched" so far by corporations that it covers most anything they can "afford" to think of.

There was even an effort to get it to cover the chip in printer toner cartridges.

And look at what Monsanto did with "their seeds".

I'm sure a lawyer can argue that any code (including a ROM) is encrypted to a court that's probably using yellow stickies to remember their passwords .

Then you also have to remember regular copyright laws cover code too. Not to mention there might be a patent that involves the ROM.

And having said all that, even if you are in the "right" can you afford the fight?
    Even though you bought the thing, the software in it is licensed, not sold. palmOne retains ownership of the code, and they give you a license to use it. All software companies do this to protect themselves from someone stealing their software, modifying it and calling it their own. Shadowmite OBVIOUSLY did not do this, but palmOne has a right to protect its intelectual property.

If you buy a lawnmower, you should have the right to dissassemble it and do with it what you want. And you can. Software doesnt work that way, even software in the ROM memory of a hardware device.
    Cingular Treo 650
    I'd also like to point out that the Sprint terms of service specifically disallow DUN.

You can obviously do what you want, but if you have a Sprint 650, you agreed to not use DUN.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    I'd also like to point out that the Sprint terms of service specifically disallow DUN.
    So, will it be entrapment when Sprint enables DUN on the 650?
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    Useful, but heck, I'm on Verizon and don't even have a Treo at all. I am hopeful to one day be so lucky. I do appreciate Shadowmites info...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars

You can obviously do what you want, but if you have a Sprint 650, you agreed to not use DUN.

Tom
    Not sure, but where did I agree not to use DUN? I didn't sign anything when I bought the phone and they didn't tell me I couldn't use it either when it was activated. I must admit I didn't read the manual was it in there???
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Yes, it's in the manual.

You're right, it's a dilemma for sure that Sprint will have to work out.

Tom
    Yeah, it sure is in the manual. (This didn't seem so outrageous when I joined Sprint and got a Treo 600, which had no modem capabilities apart from PDANet, which I understood was contraband.)

Wonder if Sprint includes the same limitation in the manuals for the PM-325 or PPC-6600, both of which support DUN out of the box. I had a T608 for about a year; never looked to see if the same language was hidden in its documentation...
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Hey, I jumped to Verizoning the Sprint T650 due to Shadowmite's work! That's not on your poll list. Yeah, yeah, I prefer Verizon since I have a lot of family on my in-network call list plus I don't need internet access 24/7 so I don't have the $49/mo pda/smartphone data service.

Haven't been on the boards for a just a couple of days and look what happens! I'm sure Shadowmite will return.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    No, it does not have to be encrypted to be copyrighted. The ROM is property of palmOne, and its unauthorized use is a violation of copyright law.

Period.

No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
    Actually, lots of 'ifs' and 'buts.'

Yes, the ROM is copyrighted. No, the terms of the DMCA don't apply. Regular copyright law certainly applies, but the terms of the DMCA specifically address any technology that violates or breaks the encryption of copyrighted material, and the Treo ROM is not encrypted.

It doesn't matter, though, as distributing the ROM, in modified or original form, without Palm's permission, is clearly a violation of copyright law, even if it's not a violation of the DMCA.

OTOH, P1 has had ample opportunity to put a stop to Shadowmite's workings, and doesn't seem inclined to do so. One letter from Palm's attorneys and Shadow would drop his site before the letter hit the floor. It's clear that P1, for whatever reasons, has no problem with what Shadow is doing.

I wouldn't be surprised if P1 hasn't helped him out under the table. (The story that the OEM ROM image, allowing the phone to be restored to it's original state, was found in a boxed, retail Treo is patently absurd. Retail Treos come from a factory in China. Developer code, like that on the SD card supposedly found in the box, come from P1's development shop, which is NOT located in that factory in China. There's no plausible way that SD card got from P1's programming shop here in the states to the factory in China. Someone at Palm, with management's blessing or without, leaked that SD card to Shadow.)

So I'm not the least bit worried about the legality of Shadow's modified ROMs. Until Palm and Sprint get their heads out of their a**es and fix the bugs on this stupid (but wonderful) phone, I feel perfectly entitled to do what I need to do to make it useable.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    ...It doesn't matter, though, as distributing the ROM, in modified or original form, without Palm's permission, is clearly a violation of copyright law, even if it's not a violation of the DMCA.....
    Then I dont understand the if, the and or the but.

Regardless of what a poor job palmOne did in creating the ROM, regardless of how poor of job they are doing in supporting it, and regardless of how magnificent Shadowmite's hacks are in fixing stuff palmOne should have fixed in the first place, it is still ILLEGAL to distribute any part of their ROM without the permission.

As to why they haven't overtly intervened (that we know of) is more likely the result of incompetence rather than a sinister plot.

We may feel "entitled" to some recourse, we we aren't. The only recourse we have, as consumers, is to either not buy the product, or join together in some sort of class action lawsuit. If they can sue McDonald's more making us fat, we can sue palmOne for a rebooting Treo, I think.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Shadowmite provided a great service for those who were interested. He was generous with his time and he helped many of us improve our 650s. It's great to see his kind of ability, generosity and sense of fun in today's technological world too often run by corporations & their many bored employees. To the naysayers-- if you don't like it, or aren't willing to take the necessary risks, don't use it! But the rest of us are grateful and appreciate his contribution. Thanks again Shadowmite!
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    I second!

Shadowmite -- I greatly appreciate your time and effort! Thanks for helping make things possible for us Treo owners!

Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy
    Shadowmite provided a great service for those who were interested. He was generous with his time and he helped many of us improve our 650s. It's great to see his kind of ability, generosity and sense of fun in today's technological world too often run by corporations & their many bored employees. To the naysayers-- if you don't like it, or aren't willing to take the necessary risks, don't use it! But the rest of us are grateful and appreciate his contribution. Thanks again Shadowmite!
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
    Stop kissin his A$$ so hard .....
    Nonsense like this will make him feel more important.
    As i said before , of he comes back and helps TC fans great, we all welcome him
    Let us close this thread ...
    whatever...
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
  18.    #38  
    Two things come out of the poll so far...lots of people have had their TREO experience enhanced by shadowmite's stuff, and lots of people NEED their TREO experience enhanced by shadowmite's stuff. Hey PalmOne, why don't you guys talk to us about this?????
    I think somebody needs to offer shadowmite a job .
    SM provided a service that has allowed me to keep my Treo. Without his help, I would have returned the Treo. Also, I have to agree with what MobileGuy posted.

And if you do not need the services provided by SM then move on and leave him alone. The people who keep attacking him remind me of the same people who attach the Xecuter/Evolution X team that allows people to hack their Xboxes. I would not own an Xbox without them and I would not own a Treo without SM.

Funny that people get all riled up when people start hacking hardware that they own. Yes, we are breaking the law but how does this take any money out of the pockets of P1? P1 would have had $27,000+ of returned Treos if it was not for SM.

I usually only lurk around here but I am getting tired of people posting about breaking laws when the laws that we are breaking are making money for P1 and not hurting anyone. However, if you want to complain about people breaking the law then you guys should leave it in this thread Sprint/Handango

Anyways, time to go back to lurking.

PS Thanks SM for helping a lot of us here improve our Treos because out of the box, it was just a little better than a T/E (bad phone quality made it unusable as a phone).
    Last edited by meloveu; 03/01/2005 at 01:09 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast