Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've never been one for cases on my cell phones. I did have a few cases from vaja for the various pda's i've owned.

The Treo 650? It's damn sexy naked and thats the way it's going to stay!

Bad idea or not?

Thanks
    helm
    I never had used a case on any of my phones till i bought
    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-24--115.htm
    Old Nokia - Nokia 3390 Sidekick 1 (black and white) - Sidekick Color - Treo 600 - Sidekick 2 - Blackberry 7100t - Treo 650 and razr black (best combo EVER) Iphone 8gb - Iphone 3G 16gb - BlackBerry Bold
    my treo is naked
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by granth
    Yeah, I cosign on that. I have this case, and it really does not take away from the treo's form factor, and you can still see most of it.
    Bok
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
    Bad idea or not?
    If you have insurance then it's a moot point, I guess.
    I have had my 650 for a week now and it has almost slipped out of my hand several times. Based on the fact that Cingular will not offer any insurance for it, I was anticipating the day when it crashed to the floor and broke into several pieces. The other day I was riding up in an elevator and noticed someone using a 650 with a rubber case. I inquired what it was and who made it. He replied that this was his third Treo (he dropped and broke two 600's) and that this was the best case if you wanted some sort of non-slip protection.
    I transport my egrip adorned phone in a lateral pouch case because, I too, prefer to go au naturale. The lateral case provides for an easy quick draw that would put Billy Kidd to shame and the egrips keep the phone IN my hand and OFF the floor.

K
    When I had the 600, I pretty much ended up carrying her naked tho I had a couple of cases for it. But now I prefer a skin.

Though thin rubber type material, it now helps protect the unit from dings and scrapes resulting from drops and falls. And I'm careful, but things can and do happen. (I dropped my unit on the asphalt a while ago and it still has its battle scars.)

Had I had the skin then I would not have the marks on my baby now.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    One cracked screen from a fall and a ruined treo and you'll want the beautiful Innopocket case. http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-23--182.htm. The belt clip is the worst part so I use a pouch case also.

Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    I transport my egrip adorned phone in a lateral pouch case because, I too, prefer to go au naturale. The lateral case provides for an easy quick draw that would put Billy Kidd to shame and the egrips keep the phone IN my hand and OFF the floor.

K
    They have a disclaimer on the TreoCentral site for using the egrips with a case.

"egrips are made of an extremely aggressive material that grips to almost anything. To ensure that egrips remain in good condition, do not attempt to push or slide the device once the egrips are in contact with another surface. Over a period of time, handling the device in such a manner may cause the clear top layer to separate or the egrips to peel off the device."
    I don't understand people who use cases. I've been through the full roll of non-clam shell smartphones (Samsung i300/i330 and Treo 600/650) and I've never, ever used a case. What a colossal pain. It's only $500-$600 and you're going to drop it and bang it up anyway. A few scratches is going to cost you, what, $50 in resale value in eBay after a year? Who cares! The case costs that much plus the extraordinary pain of using it. Just buy the insurance if you care so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by granth
    Are you concerned that the screen is exposed while using this clip/case?
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    One cracked screen from a fall and a ruined treo and you'll want the beautiful Innopocket case. http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-23--182.htm. The belt clip is the worst part so I use a pouch case also.

This is an example of the absurdity of most (if not all) cases. Who would buy such a monstronsity that ruins the entire form factor of the phone? I dropped my (4) Treo 600's dozens -- literally dozens -- of times and let me tell you, those things can take a beating. Down stairs, on concrete. Sure the case scratched, but big deal. No broken screens, no ruined phones.

If you're going to carry a case like that, I'd just get a small non-PDA phone and a small laptop. It would be just as useable and give you more PDA options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabricguy
    They have a disclaimer on the TreoCentral site for using the egrips with a case.

"egrips are made of an extremely aggressive material that grips to almost anything. To ensure that egrips remain in good condition, do not attempt to push or slide the device once the egrips are in contact with another surface. Over a period of time, handling the device in such a manner may cause the clear top layer to separate or the egrips to peel off the device."
    Yeah, but this case is roomy enough so that the fit is snug but not too snug. I already had the case and was using it with my Treo600. When I got the Treo650 and added the egrips.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    I don't understand people who use cases. I've been through the full roll of non-clam shell smartphones (Samsung i300/i330 and Treo 600/650) and I've never, ever used a case. What a colossal pain. It's only $500-$600 and you're going to drop it and bang it up anyway. A few scratches is going to cost you, what, $50 in resale value in eBay after a year? Who cares! The case costs that much plus the extraordinary pain of using it. Just buy the insurance if you care so much.
    Scratches are one thing, however if a $500 phone breaks as a result of a fall I would hardly call that peanuts. As Cingular does not offer insurance for the 650 perhaps you would be so kind as to inform me to who does?
    I bought the clear silicone case from treocentral, and I am still naked. I just prefer the look of a nake treo,lol.
    definitively, naked wins thumbs up. got the aluminum case of innopocket, but prefer the unhidden design ... only thing not so well thought about the treo design: the little mirror in the back and the central knob on the front stick out slightly. so when you put the phone on a table or whatever these shiny buttons get slowly scratched at the top ... well, perhaps I'm looking for troubles ...
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    while some things are definitely better naked, (use your imagination) I don't think the Treo 650 is one of them. It is an attractive device, however it feels very slippery to the touch and can easily shoot out of my clumsy fingers. Death at the hands of a metro train, passing car or simply a good smash on pavement would be untimely for what has become my favorite gadget of all time. The 650 is certainly the Macgyver of cell phones, pocket entertainer, communicator, network management console, portable hard drive, amongst other things. It deserves the protection of a great case, I recommend the Krusell, which is what I am using. It works well, I am typing this post on the Treo keyboard almost as fast as I could on a laptop. Itls greatm and worth every penny.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabricguy
    Scratches are one thing, however if a $500 phone breaks as a result of a fall I would hardly call that peanuts. As Cingular does not offer insurance for the 650 perhaps you would be so kind as to inform me to who does?

lockline insurance. do a search there are a number of threads on the topic of lockline
    Give it a week with heavy use, take it everywhere with you... then get back to us.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast