Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi,

Greetings, a newbie.... do laugh my last palm device was a Palm IIIx and luv everybit of it. And it is still working . I upgraded it to a HP Jornada 580 and it work but I miss all those Palm Application.

Now I am thinking of getting into the Palm platform again. The Treo 650 looks great. My only question can some form of Graffiti be install on the Treo 650.

Jackdon
    Yes. You can use Grafitti Anywhere (free) which will allow you to use the Graffiti 2 libraries in the Treo. Grafitti does not come on by default on the Treo, so you need an app that will let you write anywhere on the screen (there is no dedicated input area).

However, as a Palm IIIx user you are probably used to Grafitti 1 (the original). IF you do not want to relearn a new Grafitti, you will need to buy TealScript (from http://www.tealpoint.com/softscrp.htm). It will allow you to use Grafitti anywhere on the screen and use the Grafitti 1 stroked which we all have come to know and love....

Copying the Grafitti 1 libraries from an older Palm onto the Treo does not work.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    My .02 cents....

Don't worry about learning Grafitti 2. It is much more similar to regular handwriting and very easy to pick up. Here is a link to the grafiti 2 alphabet--Graffiti 2 Alphabet

Hope this helps

K
    I also had an Old Palm IIIxe (8mb memory vs 2mb compared to the IIIx)...And was definately used to Graffiti 1...Later I upgraded to the Palm i705 (Palm's failed attempt at a blackberry device) but that still used Graffiti 1...then the hardest part was switching to a Zire 72, which did use Graffiti 2...The heardest letters to relearn were I, K, T, and V.

The I on graffiti 1 was just a single downstroke...no need to dot the i...The K on 1 was just the "right side" < symbol...You didn't do the |< like you do now...Just <. Doing a T was just a 7 on the Letter side of the input area...and the V you did backwards, but graffiti 2 doesn't like that.

Until I got my treo, the last days of my zire 72, I still caught myself putting in Graffiti 1 strokes...it was a bit of a pain...but now I have a keyboard on my 650, and its no problem :-D
    For those that use graffiti on the Treo, what do you use it for?
    1 | 2
    I use it a lot now - ITS FREE!!

Also, the hadwrinting recognition is SOOOOO much better on the 650 than the 600. The Diddlebug program is actually very sophisticated with additional plugins etc.
    However, I mainly use it for scribbling handwritten notes and then sending them by email to my techs.

Make sure you load the ZLIB.prc file to be able to SEND stuff by multiple ways - Msging, IR, Email etc...

It has a VERY high WoW factor

Did I mention it is Free?
    I have detailed files.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    For those that use graffiti on the Treo, what do you use it for?
    Mostly for entering text. If you have the Treo on one hand and the stylus on the other, you may click on something that requires a quick text entry, like a password or something. Or you may be in contacts entering a new contact, you just clicked on contacts with your stylus. You would then have to grab the Treo with both hands and start thumb typing. It works, but if I already have the stylus in my hand and am used to Grafitti, a quick few strokes on the screen and I am there. Its just a matter of input preference. Us old palm timers have a harder time letting go of Grafitti...
    Cingular Treo 650
    never mind, i was thinking jotting notes as opposed to the grafitti style entry question raised in this thread

anyways, still a thumbs up for Diddlebug and recommendation to those that haven't tried it yet
    I have detailed files.
    I have not had much success with Graffiti Anywhere. It is too hard to "call up". I have extreme difficulty entering text on the puney 650 keyboard. I am seriously considering selling my Treo 650 and going back to a regular cell phone and palm. I miss my graffiti so badly. I wish they would make a Treo with soft graffiti and eliminate the keyboard altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbeanie
    I have not had much success with Graffiti Anywhere. It is too hard to "call up". I have extreme difficulty entering text on the puney 650 keyboard. I am seriously considering selling my Treo 650 and going back to a regular cell phone and palm. I miss my graffiti so badly. I wish they would make a Treo with soft graffiti and eliminate the keyboard altogether.
    Give Tealscript a try. They have a free trial. www.tealpoint.com
    Cingular Treo 650
    Besides Tealscript, there is MobileWrite, another handwriting recognition program that can recognize Graffiti 1, Graffiti 2 and regular English letters. You can download a free trial from www.inkmarksoftware.com
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbeanie
    I have not had much success with Graffiti Anywhere. It is too hard to "call up"...
    With Grafitti Anywhere you have several options to activate graffiti mode. I successfully use the "tap in the lower right hand corner" method.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by mcc97
    Besides Tealscript, there is MobileWrite, another handwriting recognition program that can recognize Graffiti 1, Graffiti 2 and regular English letters. You can download a free trial from www.inkmarksoftware.com
    Bummer, just checked out the link and CDMA 650 is not supported. Too bad, looked promising.
    I missed Graffiti for a few days after using it on a ton pf PDA's since 1996. I find the keyboard much better and you will not scratch/wear out up your screen. One hand operation is difficult with graffiti. Anyone with me?
    FastFrank
    I upgraded from a Tungsten T3 to the 650 just over a month ago. For the first 10 days, I was instinctively scratching on the display with my fingernail when I was in a hurry. Felt pretty stupid when there was a big 2-tone keyboard right in front of me!

I think the keyboard design is very clever. I enjoy it now, though sometimes I still think I'd be faster with graffiti. Then again, I initially cursed G2 after going from the m515 to the T3. I'm with Frank on the one-hand operation--very easy on the Treo (and I don't even have to hold a cell phone in the other hand anymore)! I also agree with the Treominator about Diddlebug- I loved using it for notes and memos and I miss that on the 650.

One of my colleagues and I have been talking about loading G-anywhere on our Treos since we bought them. I guess the fact that we still haven't must mean that we're comfortable enough with the keys by now.
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard