Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I've completed the custom rom 3 from shadowmite, now do I just sync like I would normally do any other app? Does it just "overwrite" the original? Do I need to reset the device afterwards? Please help
  2. #2  
    Well, if you've followed the checklist, and all went well, you've basically got a brand new device, just like when you first took it from the box. Any apps you had installed previously have been wiped off.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, if you've followed the checklist, and all went well, you've basically got a brand new device, just like when you first took it from the box. Any apps you had installed previously have been wiped off.
    Thanks for the quick response Insert... but it didn't quite answer my question/s. I've completed "creating" the "custom rom", Now how do I "flash" to the treo 650 is what I would like to know. I really appreciate your help BTW. Do I use the "updater"... if so, then what? Sorry to be a pain in the @$$, but I would like to install the "voice patch" my phone sounds horrible.
  4. #4  
    Ahhh...I thought you had the ROM installed already. DOH!!! Well, you need to put the ROM and Palm folders into the root directory of an SD card, and run ROMUpdater. If you using the card currently in your device, you'll need to fisrt rename the PALM folder to something else. Use a card reaser to copy the folders over.

    There is a step by step checklist on his site. It'll be the link right above the ROMs titles "Instructions on how to use the ROM update tool". It's very straightforward. I have ROM #3 and love it btw.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Ahhh...I thought you had the ROM installed already. DOH!!! Well, you need to put the ROM and Palm folders into the root directory of an SD card, and run ROMUpdater. If you using the card currently in your device, you'll need to fisrt rename the PALM folder to something else. Use a card reaser to copy the folders over.

    There is a step by step checklist on his site. It'll be the link right above the ROMs titles "Instructions on how to use the ROM update tool". It's very straightforward. I have ROM #3 and love it btw.
    OK.. I have a 3 folders in the folder named "T650 with ext no Real BC" folder, they are :"CustomRom">"PALM" and ROM" . Should the "Custom Rom" folder be in there? That's the folder that was created while using the rom tool. Also, do I use the "CustomRom" folder at any point? I've noticed "zipped" files in the "ROM" folder as well, should they be zipped?
  6. #6  
    The zipped folders in the "ROM" folder will unzip themselves once the installation is taking place. Don't do anything to those. As to a "Custom ROM" folder, I can't remember that being there. Is that just the name of the folder containing "ROM" and "PALM"? Those are the two folders needed on the card.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    The zipped folders in the "ROM" folder will unzip themselves once the installation is taking place. Don't do anything to those. As to a "Custom ROM" folder, I can't remember that being there. Is that just the name of the folder containing "ROM" and "PALM"? Those are the two folders needed on the card.
    Insert, I want to thank the hell outta you man!! lol I was shaking in my socks doing this, I've completed the flash only using the "PALM & ROM" folders, restoring everything now, and will delete those two folders and rename "bak" folder to "PALM" correct?
  8. #8  
    Glad I could help. I've done several ROM flashes with both authentic, and "creative" upgrades on various Palm and Pocket PC devices, and they all give me that tense feeling while I do it.

    So, just rename the old folder back to PALM, (once you've deleted the update folders), hotsync, and you should be good. I remember having to reenter some reg codes for a few programs, but other than that, no probs.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9. #9  
    Can someone please explain to me which ROM update is best? I see 7 on shadowmite.com... I'd assume #5 is best (since it appears to be the latest), but do not understand fully.

    Thx.
  10. #10  
    Well, the first ROM is the original ROM that's on your Treo now. To be used in case you need tor evert back. So it would pointless at this point for you to use it.

    As to the best, that depends on your needs. Number 5 isn't "the best" because it is the latest. Look at the features of each ROM to determine which is "best" for you. For me it was #3, but I may reflash with #5 since I never use Versamail.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11. #11  
    I've got the ROM UPdate with DUN. I really would like ROM 3 with REAL but have the following question:

    I have Sprint BizCon and use it all the time. If I install a ROM that removes "Get BC" will that preclude me from having BC on my phone or does it simply remove the shortcut that would send a new owner to the SprintPCS BC website to get BC?

    What are my alternatives if I would like to get rid of Versamail, QuickTour and Download if I can't remove "Get BC"?

    Thanks!
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  12. #12  
    You should be able to go with #3, the GetBC just redirects to the sprint website to download the client prc for business connection. After you apply Rom #3 and hard-reset during the hotsync operation your Business Connection prc's and settings should be restored.
  13. #13  
    Thanks evilghost.

    So I just loaded the ROM. No problems..... Is it just my imagination or are phone calls connecting faster with this ROM enabled? Would it make a difference? It seems to me that before (I had the ROM w/ DUN) when a call was initiated there was a considerable delay before the call came up on the screen. Is it because this ROM freed up so much RAM????
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  14. #14  
    I'm not sure I can speculate as to why it's faster, but cool
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, the first ROM is the original ROM that's on your Treo now. To be used in case you need tor evert back. So it would pointless at this point for you to use it.

    As to the best, that depends on your needs. Number 5 isn't "the best" because it is the latest. Look at the features of each ROM to determine which is "best" for you. For me it was #3, but I may reflash with #5 since I never use Versamail.
    What does #5 do better than the original? "Why" should I change ROM? I don't see any docs on Shadowmite's site.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by emtreo
    What does #5 do better than the original? "Why" should I change ROM? I don't see any docs on Shadowmite's site.
    Well, you don't NEED to change ROMS. However, all the cusom ROMS improve the sound quality of the phone (especially in how others hear you).

    And except for the original hacked version, they also include the BT DUN patch. (you can get just the patch though for BT if you didn't want to flash the entire ROM.)

    So, to answer your question, other than voice quality (and BT DUN if you'd even be interested), they don't really do anything better. However they do remove some apps that may not be wanted, like Real Player, Quick Tour, and such. Give the comparison chart a look. See if one ROM does what you want.

    You can even get the ROM tool to edit your own ROMs, adding a program to your ROM to free up RAM space. I wouldn't recommend doing this UNLESS you absolutely know what you're doing. The editing is hairy enough, but some apps just don't play well in ROM and will end up causing you a ton of grief.

    All of the Shadowmite ROMs are safe though, provided you follow the install instructions.

    If not, it's not like you need to install any to begin with.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

Posting Permissions