Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've used Franklin Planner software for many years as my To Do list, schedule, contacts, notes, etc. primarily because I like the ability to prioritize and otherwise manipulate my To Do list, the thing I use most on my pda (schedule and contacts coming 2nd and 3rd). I'm picking up my 650 tomorrow and would like to know ahead of time if anyone has successfully run either of Franklin's products on a 650 (either PlanPlus for XP or PlanPlus for Outlook)?

Alternatively, is there other 650 software that allows you to prioritize To Do items and move them around individually or as a group? That's mainly what I need the FP software for.

A general forum search on the FP software only resulted in one hit, a post by jazzkids complaining about the speed of the software, so I'd like to know of others' experience with it on the 650 or other software I should consider. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Agendus.
    In the link below you'll find my comments on using Franklin Covey on my Treo 600. I was a long time user of the desktop software since 1993 and began using it with my Palm Pilot, Visor, Prism, Treo 300 and Treo 600. Then I ditched it for the simplicity of the Palm Desktop.
    LOL

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...+franklincovey
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I had somebody mention the software by Franklin Covey but have never tried it. Iambic finally fixed the problem with Agendus causing a reset when getting SMS messages. Agendus has some of the features of the Franklin software such as using the matrix to rate your to do items on their importance level.
    I used Lotus Organizer since 1993 but they don't seem to have caught up to the new Treo memory file system. I tried the Palm Desktop but it was a bit too spartan for me. I like the new Mozilla Calandar app OTOH and though one can sync address books I haven't yet found out if syncing with the calendar app is possible.
    Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but check out Bonsai. I like it a lot.
    I use DayNotez for the daily notes portion of the Franklin Planner. If you sync with a PC, there is a Windows client available also that will sync the daily notes. DayNotez is great and well worth it if you are use to the Franklin Planner system.

As far as the weekly compass, there isn't an "exact" version of this available for the Palm. I use Agendus' beefed up task list manager for the weekly compass assigning categories for roles, goals, etc. and Sharpen the Saw items. Its not quite the same as the weekly compass since it is also used for daily tasks but it'll do.
    Quick Adendum:
    If you do decide to go with Agendus, please note that there are issues with the Treo 650. Work arounds are discussed here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73865
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    i just loaded it and the priorities don't seem to update on the Treo - category (a,b,c) but nor rank...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but check out Bonsai. I like it a lot.
    That's twice I gotta thank you for that tip as I had looked at it after seeing your "Treo 650 Stabe w/ This OSftwre List" post.

So, what you are suggesting, "I think" is that instead of Lotus Organizer which currently handles all these tasks on my Palm Vx....

1. Use Mozilla Palm Conduit to sync address Book.
    2. Use Bonzai to handle Calendar and To Do list.
    3. Find something else to sync my Mozilla mail.

I gotta say it , those Bonzai folks are missing some fun by not putting:

1. Wax On / Wax Off
    2. Paint the Fence

in the ToDo screenshots....

.....or those that don't recognize, it's a reference to one of the the Karate Kid Movies with Pat Morita where they spent a lot of time with allegories to a Bonsai Tree...and old Pat always had a bunch of "chores" for the kid to do such as waxing the car and painting the fence .... where it was not really a chore but "karate training".
    I use a 600, not a 650. I am currently running the PlanPlus for XP software. Generally I like it. I love the layout and the FC planning system: Roles, Sharpen the Saw, weekly overview, etc. The only frustration I have with the software is that they no longer support repeat tasks. However, they do have "all day events" which can recur, and serve essentially the same function as a repeat task. I have had no technical issues with the software.

Oh, one other thing that is not a big issue (at least to me), only the Daily Notes, Task list and Calendar sync with the Palm. Not having my roles, goals, etc. on the palm is not a huge issue for me, but it was a bit of an annoyance when I noticed this.

I have looked at Agendus and it looked ok, but looked more like it was designed for people who like the kind of cutesy icons and stuff rather than someone truly focussed on productivity and planning.

Just my two cents worth.

Gargoyle
  12.    #12  
    Thanks to all for the ideas. I'll check each of them out. In the meantime, unless someone tells me the FP software will cause glitches with the 650, I'm going to load the trial version of PlanPlus for XP and see how it performs.

But first, now that I FINALLY have a 650 in my hands (after reading these boards for nearly a year), I've got a lot of higher priority things to check out on it. Wooohooo!!!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    i just loaded it and the priorities don't seem to update on the Treo - category (a,b,c) but nor rank...
    pabo: when you say you loaded "it" were you referring to agendus or the Franklin software? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by feathers
    Thanks to all for the ideas. I'll check each of them out. In the meantime, unless someone tells me the FP software will cause glitches with the 650, I'm going to load the trial version of PlanPlus for XP and see how it performs.

But first, now that I FINALLY have a 650 in my hands (after reading these boards for nearly a year), I've got a lot of higher priority things to check out on it. Wooohooo!!!
    How is the PlanPlus XP working for you? I currently use PlanPlus 2.0 for Outlook. I haven't heard much feedback on the PlanPlus 3.0, so I haven't put out the extra $$.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JetJockeyJ
    How is the PlanPlus XP working for you? I currently use PlanPlus 2.0 for Outlook. I haven't heard much feedback on the PlanPlus 3.0, so I haven't put out the extra $$.
    Haven't done it yet. Been too tied up. Plus I'm waiting to decide if I'm going to return the Sprint model and get a 650 from Cingular. Unfortunately, Sprint coverage sucks in my neighborhood in general and house in particular. In the meantime, I've been using the tasks app the comes loaded and am reminded why I hated it years ago.

Check back in a week or two. I'll post here once I try it out.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JetJockeyJ
    Forgot to ask: are you running 2.0 on a 650? Is it working OK?
    So how is everyone doing with Plan Plus on the 650? I have been using PP 2.0 on a T3 and I just got a 650. I am fed up with Franklin Covey not upgrading the Palm software. The only thing I that is keeping me with Plan Plus is the Daily Notes app. I have seen some of the other suggestions but I have yet to see anything that syncs with Outlook Journal. I like that I can assign Daliy Notes to the memo button and can flip back through each day reviewing the notes. Datebk5 has a daily note function but it attaches it to the calendar. I don't see an easy way of reviewing the previous several day's notes easily like that. The thing I don't like about DayNotez is that it syncs with a separate desktop app. I like the Outlook integration of Plan Plus. I love the Outlook updates to Plan Plus but the lack of updates on the Palm makes it unacceptable.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I am a PlanPlus freak, I worked for FranklinCovey for a few years and I still love it even though it doesn't do everything it should on the Treo.

I changed Option/Phone button for the Daily Notes so I could jump back and forth quick. The only problem is there is still no modules for Goals and compass etc. Stick with 2.0, 3.0 didn't have much of a change, infact it slowed my sync time way down! I ran some tech support for planplus for awhile so I will be happy to answer any questions. I have had PlanPlus since 1.0 and used it one every Palm I have had since the 505

I still think Franklin gives the best planning stuff, even if they are idiots with marketing.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    I am a PlanPlus freak, I worked for FranklinCovey for a few years and I still love it even though it doesn't do everything it should on the Treo.

I changed Option/Phone button for the Daily Notes so I could jump back and forth quick. The only problem is there is still no modules for Goals and compass etc. Stick with 2.0, 3.0 didn't have much of a change, infact it slowed my sync time way down! I ran some tech support for planplus for awhile so I will be happy to answer any questions. I have had PlanPlus since 1.0 and used it one every Palm I have had since the 505

I still think Franklin gives the best planning stuff, even if they are idiots with marketing.
    BenJoeM: It looks like you're the man with the answers for me. What I really like about Franklin software (and I've been using the older FPS 7.something on an older Palm) is the task list function where I can prioritize A, B, C, and then rank within each category 1, 2, 3, etc. I also like being able to mark and move selected tasks as a group to another day, plus many other features about task management. Nothing else is all that impt to me. So does that work on the 650? Any diff on this btw 2.0 and 3.0? What abt btw PP for XP and PP for Outlook? Thanks.
    Ok Ben, maybe you can clarify and this should answer feathers' question too. I just got off of a live chat session with a Franklin Covey tech support person. My question was: is the Treo 650 a supported device and are there any plans to update the Palm software?

His answer:
    Rusty: PlanPlus 2.0 software is an old and discontinued software. It is no longer available and it is not compatible with the new Hotsync Manager which comes with the Treo 650 handheld. The new handheld has a higher version of Palm OS. We have a new version of PlanPlus called PlanPlus for Outlook version 3.0.778 which is built to support the new Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 handhelds. What you need to do is upgrade your software to PlanPlus 3.0.778 using the webpage I am sending below.

I then went on to ask:
    Carey: So, do you know if the Palm apps are updated of if this just updates the desktop conduits and Outlook plug-ins?
    Rusty: Yes the applications do upgrade.

I was under the assumption that you mentioned in your previous response, that just a few things were updated in 3.0 and the Palm apps were the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast