Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek
    I really want a GPS unit to a)use in the car, for turn by turn directions and b)geocache.
    My program, GeoNiche http://www.RayDarLLC.com can do both of those. Even though it can use turn-by-turn directions downloaded from Google Maps, it's focus is geocaching.

Palm's "GPS Navigator" (http://web.palm.com/products/Product...0013&cat=40004) seems like an ideal solution for my 650, at $199.
    Palm's "GPS Navigator" is a GPS receiver that is bundled with Tom Tom software. The Tom Tom software works well for on-road navigation and turn-by turn (provided you use Windows or Mac). But it doesn't work well for finding geocaches. Many people use two pieces of software when geocaching. One to navigate the roads, such as Tom Tom, and one for off-road, such as GeoNiche.

Am I better off getting 2 units, each dedicated to its own purpose?
    It depends on your preference. Some people prefer to use a rugged dedicated GPS receiver for off-road cache finding. But, this isn't as convenient as having everything in one device.
    Last edited by RayDar; 05/18/2006 at 02:38 PM.
    My wife was going to get me the aforementioned Palm Navigator setup for Fathers' Day. She waited too long to order it, and now it doesn't appear to be available anymore. The only system they sell now is $120 more (http://store.palm.com/product/index....ductId=2249010). The only obvious difference I can see is that the maps are now preloaded onto an SD card. The CD collection is not shown anymore, and a DVD is mentioned. Are there any other product differences I should be aware of? Are they still using the same bluetooth GPS receiver? Who makes that, anyway?
    I don't read these forums often enough, but I would like to highly recommend the recently mentioned GeoNiche software. It really does a great job. I use TomTom for driving, but for looking for caches, GeoNiche is wonderful. It does a good job of getting me to the search location and it has the added advantage of having the whole cache page there so I can check the hint while hanging from a tree searching for a micro in the woods. The program does alot of stuff I don't use, but you might. If only it would say 'hey dummy, look under the rock' when necessary. It does have a trial mode so you can test it out, but it is pretty limited. I bought the software, and have been using it quite a bit.

I would also recommend that if you do decide to use your Treo for caching, that you get one of those waterproof pouches to take along. No software is going to help you if you drop your Treo in the creek.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayDar
    It is sad that GPSBabel's export for GeoNiche is so lame.

I have been in contact with one of the authors of GPSBabel's export for GeoNiche.

But once again, GeoNiche users have access to container type, cache difficulty, visitation logs and more. The items can appear in the cache title and/or cache notes.
    I just noticed the description is exported with 5 logs into GeoNiche from GSAK/GPSBabel as of the latest update. This is a very welcome change. Now, if I could just get GeoNiche from resetting my phone when I get a phonecall while the GPS is in use.

Another cool note... I just bought a couple Rino 120s, and even though the Treo/Blue Logger setup I use is a little slower to initialize, after a weeks worth of use I can say that the Rinos are about 20-30 ft less accurate around 6 or 7 caches out of 10. Pretty Amazing.
    Sorry to ask you guys to back up a little - This conversation is a little over my head, though I've tried to glean the pertinent info from it.

I really want a GPS unit to a)use in the car, for turn by turn directions and b)geocache. It seems to me that devices that will do both well run in the $5-700 range. Palm's "GPS Navigator" (http://web.palm.com/products/Product...0013&cat=40004) seems like an ideal solution for my 650, at $199. The car application seems pretty straightforward, but will I be able to use a third party app for geocaching? Something along the lines of Cachemate? Is this really feasible, or am I asking for a world of frustration? Am I better off getting 2 units, each dedicated to its own purpose?
    This is the setup I use for in car navigation...
    http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/order.asp
    I use the Bundle #3 that way when I travel across country, I can also use my Laptop for faster routing and planning (It is a bit faster than the treo, and has a few more options while planning stops for food, gas, etc...) . I also use several 3rd party apps for GeoCaching (See earlier in this thread), and the Bluetooh works great.

Others have had good luck with this setup also...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20
    I just have never used it personally. I have seen it used, and it seems a little more pleasing to the eyes than DeLorme's solution, but I do not know the functionality comparison. I already own DeLorme products, so I have not done much research about Tom Tom since my initial purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayDar
    If you can reproduce this behavior, I am very interested in fixing it. When your treo is in a state where you are sure that deleting a target would cause a reboot, HotSync it instead and send me your GeoNiche databases as well as your Saved Preferences so that I may attempt to reproduce the situation.

((RayDar))
    There are 2 occasions when the phone app reports GeoNiche as the culprit for rebooting...

1.) Intermittently, when deleting the closet Target.
    2.)When recieving a call while using GeoNiche. (This may be a hardware situation since I use a Bluetooth headset? But The the Treo reports GeoNiche as the offending program, not the phone app.)

I might add that I am not using 1.40 anymore. Reboots were a lot more frequent, and 1.35 does everything I use GeoNiche for. I use my phone for business, so a stable phone is my major priority. I only use GeoNiche when I turn my phone off now, and I delete the whole database using Filez after each caching adventure rather than use GeoNiche's interface. It is more of a hassle, but I have no more crashes this way.
    Here's what I've found...

I use TomTom - I found that if you use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), you can export caches in a TomTom format. Since you likely store your maps on the expansion card, you just copy these files that are created by GSAK into the appropriate map directory, and turn on those POI files on your control panel in Tom Tom - so as I'm driving around, I see where all the caches are around me. I have one icon for easy caches, one for multis or harder ones, and one for ones I've found, and I just added a 4th for ones I have hidden.

It is really cool - cuz you can say get me to this POI (cache), and it takes you right there, or to the nearest point on the road. It has been accurate maybe 95% of the time to get to the closest point you can drive, or reasonably so. Sometimes, it is a little off on that and you have to use common sense.

I do use a separate GPS (Explorist 400) to get the caches themselves... Cachemate was cool (and CacheNav), but the navagation part is very ... far off, sometimes.

If you want more info about how to go about setting this up, feel free to email me.
    By the way, I use local webpages in Blazer for quick searches, and I've put together a form and such for Geocaching.com to look up stuff fast.

If you need help with the local webpages, see this thread.

Then right-click this url and Save as to your SD card html directory.

As described in the thread above, I set my Blazer homepage to file:///html/bookmarks.html which is an index to several pages. One of them is the page1.htm linked above. So when I launch Blazer, I have 4 pages to pick from which you can browse yourself and save if you like at my site.

So now if I want to look at the logs on a particular waypoint I copy the waypoint to the copy buffer and paste it into the Waypoint textbox and click the button, or I can search by keyword. There's also a Geocaching and Seek Cache links there that use Google mobile to compress and remove images to make any other browsing I'd need to do easier.

Hope this makes some sense... Launch blazer, local pages (load instantly), search quickly, beat ticks off clothes, continue
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    By the way, I use local webpages in Blazer for quick searches, and I've put together a form and such for Geocaching.com to look up stuff fast.

If you need help with the local webpages, see this thread.

Then right-click this url and Save as to your SD card html directory.

As described in the thread above, I set my Blazer homepage to file:///html/bookmarks.html which is an index to several pages. One of them is the page1.htm linked above. So when I launch Blazer, I have 4 pages to pick from which you can browse yourself and save if you like at my site.

So now if I want to look at the logs on a particular waypoint I copy the waypoint to the copy buffer and paste it into the Waypoint textbox and click the button, or I can search by keyword. There's also a Geocaching and Seek Cache links there that use Google mobile to compress and remove images to make any other browsing I'd need to do easier.

Hope this makes some sense... Launch blazer, local pages (load instantly), search quickly, beat ticks off clothes, continue
    I have a similar GC.com Local Page... they also have 2 WAP sites at:
    http://wap.geocaching.com
    &
    http://www.geocaching.com/wap

The other links in your pages are NICE! I love the Mobile Gas Finder Link, and the 1-800 number finder is cool also. I think I have a few new wap sites to explore.

Here are a few more to add to your list...

OC, CA Traffic

Network Troubleshooting Tool

mobile data speed checker

Shoutcast Radio Streams for PocketTunes Deluxe

Blazer Page for go2online.

Yahoo's WAP site

NBA's WAP site
    Cool, I had no idea they had a wap site! I had searched, but kept coming up with waypoints with "mobile" in the title, etc. I'll have to check those out, see if they make more sense than my Google xhtml links, possibly replace my form with those wap ones (as the forms in my page can't use the google xhtml interface)

Cheers!

EDIT:

I updated my page1.htm to reflect this better but it seems the mobile form is dynamic and isn't going to work.. Each load of the page is a different form name, and it won't work after a while.. :-/ But none the less, the mobile page is better than the form searches, so I'm dumping them. Few more clicks, but more 'clean' information returned overall.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 07/01/2006 at 08:20 PM.
    I use a BT Tom Tom Nav 5 to get around sometimes and once you get past the install issues, it is a pretty decent product. I have intermittent problems with the getting calls while using the software issue.

More on the topic of this thread, I don't think anyone has mentioned the StarNet yet. I also had some install problems with it, but now that it's working it works pretty well as pure Lat/Lon finder for Geocaching. Fits into the SD slot so there's no carrying around extra equipment, but it also makes the Treo more bulky. I'm glad to give more info about it via PM.
    Funny, free ecards for weird situations. No registration required. - UncomfortableSituations.com

Pop culture hangman using Flickr pics - SearchVoyeurMan
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    There are 2 occasions when the phone app reports GeoNiche as the culprit for rebooting...

1.) Intermittently, when deleting the closet Target.
    2.)When recieving a call while using GeoNiche.
    I may have both of these situations corrected. I would like to send you a beta test, but I cannot figure out which registered user you are.

Could you contact me via the private message feature of treocentral with that information?

((RayDar))
    Can GPSBabel output to CacheMate? I can't seem to figure out how to do it.. I see GeoNiche and Coto, but no CacheMate. Surely I'm overlooking it.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Well, I'm trying to follow all of this but have a question. With the T650, can you request and recieve a "pocket query" directly from the phone, and then open that file with CacheMate? If there is a way to get the pocket queries on the treo, and then be able to open them with cachemate, I wouldn't have to bring a laptop with me on a geocaching trip.

Right now I just bought a garmin 60csx and use EasyGPS to transfer the caches to the GPSr. But it gets confusing keeping track of which ones I've looked for and found/not found already. What's the best way to utilize my Treo or an old Tungsten E to help keep track of what I've found as well as have info for all the caches in my area?
    No, I have yet to see anything that can directly use a GPX file. You have to use gpsbabel or something else to convert to the appropriate pdb file.

I have a set of scripts which convert all my incoming PQ's into GeoNiche, Earth Comber, Google Earth, etc, ready for me to import/update the appropriate software whenever.

I also get the emails about new caches, so if there's a new one I want to hit, I'll update. Otherwise, I just update about once a week to get updates logs, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye View Post
    I have a similar GC.com Local Page... they also have 2 WAP sites at:
    http://wap.geocaching.com
    &
    http://www.geocaching.com/wap

The other links in your pages are NICE! I love the Mobile Gas Finder Link, and the 1-800 number finder is cool also. I think I have a few new wap sites to explore.

Here are a few more to add to your list...

OC, CA Traffic

Network Troubleshooting Tool

mobile data speed checker

Shoutcast Radio Streams for PocketTunes Deluxe

Blazer Page for go2online.

Yahoo's WAP site

NBA's WAP site
    FYI: NFL finally has a WAP page. http://www.nfl.com/wap

RayDar: BTW... I am using GeoNiche 1.43 Reg & I am still having reboot problems. I am very happy to see the added 5-way menu support though. Now if you could just talk the developers for GSAK to add import functionality, I might actually use it more often. I am still using Street Atlas for Street Nav, and Cachemate/CacheNav for GeoCaching.

When I do a Bike trail I will sometimes use Geoniche. It is just a pain to use your Java app when all my importing & exporting is done through GSAK, add the rebooting issue & CacheMate still wins on my Treo 650 Setup.

Sorry it has been so long since I participated, but I don't check Treo Central that often because My Treo 650 pretty much does all I need it to now. I am sure I will geek out soon though. I think a 700p is due for Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by NADLER View Post
    I have the TomTom Bluetooth GPS and the TomTom Navigator software for the 650. Both are terrific and work well with the Treo 650. It's great for driving directions but really can't be used for geocaching because you can't input longitude and latitude. I was wondering if anyone was using other software on the 650 for geocaching. I was looking around this board and gpspassion.com and couldn't find much.

So, anybody know of any geocaching software out there for the 650? And that works for bluetooth?
    If you use GSAK, there is an export feature for Tom Tom POI files. I have a series of filters, which separate easy from hard caches, multis, mystery, and virtuals, and then have created an icon for each. When GSAK outputs the POU files, you put them on the SD card in the directory for the map set you are using them with, and then they show up as POI's in your configure menu. You enable them, and they show up on your map. You can drive to them, and it will take you the best route to the nearest roads to the cache (most of the time - sometimes you end up on the wrong road that is not near the cache... common sense applies!). I use cachemate sometimes with this, or a separate eXplorist to track the cache to the final location, mainly because I didn't want to carry 2 things (bluetooth receiver and treo). I have had fantastic luck with this once I got it to work. Now, it's easy.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234