Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 77
  1. #41  
    thanks for the help. I think I know why you used coto less and less. After using cachemate a little there's just no comparison for all the data it includes. If it just had a better nav plugin. Does geoniche do everything that cachemate does?
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan
    thanks for the help. I think I know why you used coto less and less. After using cachemate a little there's just no comparison for all the data it includes. If it just had a better nav plugin. Does geoniche do everything that cachemate does?
    For those interested, I finally put together a description of how I integrate my GSAK & Palm setup for paperless caching.

    ---
    NOTE: I cooresponded with the developer of CacheMate, and he is moving right now, but as soon as he gets moved he is going to work on a plugin to use GeoNiche as the Nav part of CacheMate... I am really looking forward to this as I have been using GeoNiche to find the caches, and CacheMate to log them. GeoNiche does not import or export nearly enough information. Cachemate's Overview screen is a must when looking at previous logs, or hints, and it's logging features is also a must in my opinion for paperless caching.

    Right now I use a free utility called "McPhling" to switch between the two palm apps while caching. It has been a lot more productive when switching to GeoNiche to find the next cache to pursue, and switching back to CacheMate to log the finds. This will change once the plugin is finished.
    ---


    My setup:
    -PC with GSAK installed
    -Treo 650 (this could be any Palm Device) w/Cachemate & GeoNiche installed
    (*if a BlueTooth GPS is not part of your setup, do not bother with GeoNiche, or the associated steps below. It mimics a GPSr display.*)
    -BlueLogger GPS (Again, optional)



    Once I have filtered my caches in GSAK, I use the builtin Cachemate export for the CacheMate export.

    I then use this custom export (the code is all on one line) to add to my GeoNiche Targets database:

    "C:\Program Files\GSAK\gpsbabel.exe" -N -i gpx -f "C:\Program Files\GSAK\temp\babel.gpx" -o geoniche -F "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Desktop\geoniche.pdb"


    I then sync my Palm Device.


    I open GeoNiche on my Palm Device to use the GPS. (Again omit this step if you are not using a BlueTooth GPSr)

    Once a cache is found(or I need hints), I switch to CacheMate.

    I have a CacheMate database for my finds called "Found", and when I find a cache in the selected database , I move the find to the"Found" database, so it shortens the list in the database I am using.

    When I switch back to GeoNiche to look for the next cache I just delete the found waypoint in GeoNiche, because it speeds up the sorting (I notice things get considerably slower with more than 200 caches in the GeoNiche DB.).


    After caching, I sync my Palm Device again.


    I have a 2 line batch file that generates a gpx file from my CacheMate "Found" logs, and places it on the desktop after I sync.

    This is what the batchfile looks like...

    -------START of File-------

    "C:\Program Files\GSAK\cm2gpx\cm2gpx.exe" -f -o "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Desktop\CacheMateFinds.gpx" "C:\Program Files\palmOne\LK\Backup\FoundItems-cMat.PDB"

    pause


    -------EOF-------


    Note the paths in the batch file. You will need to be sure "cm2gpx" is installed in "C:\Program Files\GSAK\cm2gpx\", and include the right path to the "FoundItems-cMat.PDB" file. Also note the use of the %USERNAME% variable... this allows multiple users, and multiple palm devices, on shared computer systems to put the file on the user's desktop, and use a single batchfile to accomplish it.

    I then import the Desktop gpx file back into GSAK using the "Load CacheMate logs and Finds" menu item. This imports my logs, and updates GSAK with my finds.

    I use the "LogCache.txt" Macro (Which I assigned to a one click button) installed in the GSAK folder to log the cache, but you can use this other method as well:
    http://www.gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=1730



    Thats it! just repeat the procedure for each cache run... I know it may seem complicated at first, but it is probably just my grammar.


    This is a very generic explaination, and you will have to spend some time getting to know the programs individually before this probably makes perfect sense. Once you get the procedure down, you will find that you have a lot more time to cache, and logging takes seconds. It took me about 4 caching runs to nail this down.

    For more useful GSAK Macros go to:
    http://www.gsak.net/board/index.php?showforum=9

    I hope this is useful for those going paperless.

    KnC
    Last edited by ix0ye; 04/29/2006 at 02:09 AM.
  3. #43  
    that looks like a good setup. I'm glad to here that CacheMate is working with geoniche too. That might be great. I used Coto last night to nav to a cache and there is just no comparison on the accuracy with that as compared to cachenav. Maybe a combo with geoniche will work as well.
  4. #44  
    I am pleased to say that I have finally updated GeoNiche.

    This version has full Treo 650 support and a host of other new features.

    For details, visit http://www.RayDarLLC.com
  5. #45  
    awesome, I'll be downloading the trial as soon as I get home. When it says import/export .gpx files does this mean I won't need CacheMate anymore?
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan
    awesome, I'll be downloading the trial as soon as I get home. When it says import/export .gpx files does this mean I won't need CacheMate anymore?
    I have the registered version of GeoNiche, and I just downloaded 1.40. I am sorry to say it is still not as functional as CacheMate. They really have different functions.

    GeoNiche is for Navigation, while Cachemate is for Cache Organization, and logging.

    I usually recommend both. Cachemate is much more useful IMHO. But if you use the Treo for the GPSr GeoNiche is nice eye candy.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    I have the registered version of GeoNiche, and I just downloaded 1.40. I am sorry to say it is still not as functional as CacheMate.
    This is somewhat misleading. GeoNiche does many things CacheMate cannot (for example, turn by turn driving directions downloaded from Google Maps). It's not really fair to call one more "functional" than the other.

    Some will find that GeoNiche meets their needs more (and so it is more "functional" for them) while others may only need to organize their caches. And then there are people who will find that both programs are needed.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayDar
    This version has full Treo 650 support and a host of other new features.
    It has a staggering number of features and the vast array of customized choices in the Navigation screen is great, but it is overstating things to say GeoNiche has full Treo support.

    In general the integration is erratic, and it is nonexistent in the Preferences screen where only tapping works. Nor does the Menu bar accept the Treo's keypad numbers although they are displayed as shortcuts for Palm units with Graffiti. (A couple of times the Menu has gotten confused and did not even accept up-down controls... I had to exit GeoNiche and start over.) In the other screens, the 5-way is partly functional but acts differently depending on the screen. The Target Details screen is probably the most aware of the 5-way and is the most Palm-like.

    Overall, it is a nice program which I use for caches that do not require intense map navigation. CacheMate's database is more robust but GeoNiche does quick searches and has that nifty graphic display.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayDar
    This is somewhat misleading. GeoNiche does many things CacheMate cannot (for example, turn by turn driving directions downloaded from Google Maps). It's not really fair to call one more "functional" than the other.

    Some will find that GeoNiche meets their needs more (and so it is more "functional" for them) while others may only need to organize their caches. And then there are people who will find that both programs are needed.
    I did not mean to give a totally negative spin on my experience with GeoNiche. I will say that indeed, GeoNiche does things that CacheMate does not.

    I use both GeoNiche and CacheMate for GeoCaching. If I want turn by turn directions I use Street Atlas, or TopoUSA, which are far more suited for this use. I pretty much only use GeoNiche's Navigation Display, and only for proximity information. CacheMate allows me to view container type, description, difficulty ratings, Hints, and logs. Something I have not been able to do with GeoNiche. The 5-way support is still lacking for the Treo 650 in GeoNiche as well, so it is a little distracting when using the interface. The ability to automatically connect to the GPS is a very nice feature though, and the pedometer is also a nice feature.

    As I stated before, both programs have strengths and weaknesses. GeoNiche is a very special program, but unfortunately the user base that would find it useful is a lot smaller than CacheMate.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    CacheMate allows me to view container type, description, difficulty ratings, Hints, and logs.Something I have not been able to do with GeoNiche.
    GeoNiche can do this. Just select those items (in EasyNiche) when importing the caches.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayDar
    GeoNiche can do this. Just select those items (in EasyNiche) when importing the caches.
    Ah, thats why. I use GSAK to manage my caches on the PC, and the GeoNiche Export only repeats the name of the cache in the Notes. I use GSAK because it exports to virtually every program I have ever tried, and I for some reason EasyNiche would not run on my machine. (I think it is a compatibility problem with the version of the JVM I am using.) You should get with the makers of GPSBabel and get them to include more info in their conversion to GeoNiche.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    Ah, thats why. I use GSAK to manage my caches on the PC, and the GeoNiche Export only repeats the name of the cache in the Notes.
    It is sad that GPSBabel's export for GeoNiche is so lame.

    I have been in contact with one of the authors of GPSBabel's export for GeoNiche.

    But once again, GeoNiche users have access to container type, cache difficulty, visitation logs and more. The items can appear in the cache title and/or cache notes.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    GeoNiche is a very special program, but unfortunately the user base that would find it useful is a lot smaller than CacheMate.
    I am not sure which user base is larger. GeoNiche has a lot of non-geocaching uses. For example:

    Recording a hike along a trail and then viewing it in GPSVisualizer or Google Earth.

    Entering the locations of traffic speeding cameras and using the proximity alarm to warn near one. (I don't condone this, but some users have told me that they do it.)

    Various farm-related activities.

    Planning a road trip and using Google Maps to load the GPS coordinates of food stops along the way. (Using the ETA function is nice to see when you will reach the next food stop. "Are we there yet?")
    Last edited by RayDar; 05/04/2006 at 11:46 AM.
  14. #54  
    The ulitimate for me would be a combination of GSAK, CacheMate, and CotoGPS. If I can do all the functions I need from those three with only GeoNiche and EasyNiche you've got my vote. I haven't had time to play with it enough yet but I'm working on it. Will EasyNiche log finds to geocaching.com the way GSAK will?

    I'm still very new to GSAK and CacheMate so I do mind a switch if I can learn to use it.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayDar
    I am not sure which user base is larger. GeoNiche has a lot of non-geocaching uses. For example:

    Recording a hike along a trail and then viewing it in GPSVisualizer or Google Earth.

    Entering the locations of traffic speeding cameras and using the proximity alarm to warn near one. (I don't condone this, but some users have told me that they do it.)

    Various farm-related activities.

    Planning a road trip and using Google Maps to load the GPS coordinates of food stops along the way. (Using the ETA function is nice to see when you will reach the next food stop. "Are we there yet?")
    I would say geocachers using a palm device as the actual GPS are a very small percentage of geocachers. This has been my experience. For the few of us that do use our palm device as a GPS, CacheMate and GeoNiche compliment each other, rather than compete.

    GSAK and CacheMate are the standard for paperless caching on PDAs. Several polls, and discussions have proven this. I promote GeoNiche as an add-on that replaces CacheNav or CetusGPS for users using the palm as a GPS display. CotoGPS seems to have a more technical use to me, and seems to be quite accurate, but it does lack some of the features GeoNiche provides... but as previously pointed out, it is free. Most GeoCachers have no use for anything other than CacheMate though. (The alternative seems to be iSilo or Plunker. Which most users have grown out of.)

    I use TopoUSA and Street Atlas for trails, and street navigation. I have both topo and satellite maps on my palm, and I can use google Earth or the PC counter parts as an alternative while at a desktop. I respect the free functionality of GPSVisualizer, but I don't see myself using it for something a commercial product I bought does out of the box, as does it well. The traffic Camera idea is one I haven't heard. If I could hear my palm device over my radio I might actually try it.

    My hope is that integration becomes the goal for palm developers, and that we will find palm apps sharing databases, and learning to switch between apps more gracefully. In that model, Everyone will benefit, and there is plenty of room for developers to add features as they see fit, so the end user can decide based on thier need at the time.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    If I could hear my palm device over my radio I might actually try it.
    I find that if the "Alarm" noise is selected it is audible even in my Jeep. However, other sounds require the handheld to be plugged into the car stereo before GeoNiche's proximity alarm can be heard.

    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    My hope is that integration becomes the goal for palm developers, and that we will find palm apps sharing databases, and learning to switch between apps more gracefully. In that model, Everyone will benefit, and there is plenty of room for developers to add features as they see fit, so the end user can decide based on thier need at the time.
    I am too am for integration.
  17. #57  
    Okay, I am frustrated now...

    I rolled back to 1.35 because for some reason I can no longer import from GSAK. I only want the points on the navigation display, but I am having the following anomalies:

    *When I try to use GPSBabel to create the pdb file it failes to import once synced.
    *Even though I used EasyNiche for the conversion (It is the only way I can get it to work now ) whenever I try to delete a waypoint (after I find the cache) it reboots my phone.

    I have tried deleting the Geoniches Targets and Notes files Manually on the Palm with Filez, and re-syncing, but it still reacts the same way in the above cirumstances. Very Frustrsating.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    *When I try to use GPSBabel to create the pdb file it failes to import once synced.
    There are many problems with GPSBabel's export to GeoNiche. One known problem is that it doesn't properly handle quotation marks (both single and double). If the name or description of the target has, for example, a leading single-quote ('Twas the night before Christmas), GPSBabel will make an illegal file that GeoNiche cannot import. I have discussed this with the author of GPSBabel's export for GeoNiche and they said a fix is coming.

    Perhaps you need to upgrade GPSBabel.

    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    *Whenever I try to delete a waypoint (after I find the cache) it reboots my phone.
    If you can reproduce this behavior, I am very interested in fixing it. When your treo is in a state where you are sure that deleting a target would cause a reboot, HotSync it instead and send me your GeoNiche databases as well as your Saved Preferences so that I may attempt to reproduce the situation.

    ((RayDar))
  19. #59  
    Sorry to ask you guys to back up a little - This conversation is a little over my head, though I've tried to glean the pertinent info from it.

    I really want a GPS unit to a)use in the car, for turn by turn directions and b)geocache. It seems to me that devices that will do both well run in the $5-700 range. Palm's "GPS Navigator" (http://web.palm.com/products/Product...0013&cat=40004) seems like an ideal solution for my 650, at $199. The car application seems pretty straightforward, but will I be able to use a third party app for geocaching? Something along the lines of Cachemate? Is this really feasible, or am I asking for a world of frustration? Am I better off getting 2 units, each dedicated to its own purpose?
  20. pcbelize's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek
    Sorry to ask you guys to back up a little - This conversation is a little over my head, though I've tried to glean the pertinent info from it.

    I really want a GPS unit to a)use in the car, for turn by turn directions and b)geocache. It seems to me that devices that will do both well run in the $5-700 range. Palm's "GPS Navigator" (http://web.palm.com/products/Product...0013&cat=40004) seems like an ideal solution for my 650, at $199. The car application seems pretty straightforward, but will I be able to use a third party app for geocaching? Something along the lines of Cachemate? Is this really feasible, or am I asking for a world of frustration? Am I better off getting 2 units, each dedicated to its own purpose?
    If you are looking for a cheap way to get a gps unit you might look at Telenav (http://www.telenav.net/) . Currently, if you sign up for 6 months of service (at $9.99 per) they will give you a free Globalsat Bt-339 (same as the 338) gps unit. This is one of the best units around and typically sells for around $125+.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions