Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    stolen from shadowmites site (more people will see it here) i want to start a list of apps that work in ROM also if anyone has any tips or hints for building a custom rom please feel free to add them here

here is what i took off the thread @ http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24

ClockPop 5.0b1
    HandZipper Lite (Ver bundled with snappermail)
    KB Lights Off v0.8
    mNews v2.0 (cracked version)
    TreoHelper Version 0.70
    TreoShutter v.2.0
    ZLauncher
    DateBK5
    oncradleon
    Chatter
    Snapper
    McPhling
    KeyCaps600 (version for 650)
    KBLightsoff
    Diddlebug
    DopeWars
    FileZ
    Rally1000
    Yatzee
    Card Export II
    patch #5 with Voicedial by Voice Signal in ROM.
    CleanUninstaller
    BackUpBuddy
    Uninstall Manger
    + Backupman

...and I think it's silly to put Chatter in ROM since it's updated like every day. It works, but if you wanna keep up with the latest Betas of Chatter, you're gonna be doing hard resets/backups ALL the time...
    I'm not understanding. Are we talking ROM or RAM? I thought we wanted to move the progs to RAM (or SD card).
    He's talking about moving apps into ROM by creating custom ROMs -- so they dont waste space in RAM.

It's a great idea if ya got the guts to try it, but I'd only do it with programs I'm SURE I wont need to upgrade..
    RAM and ROM share space, no? So why move something from RAM to ROM? I presume ROM is affected by the same 512 byte block issue? Or will the equivalent program in ROM be a bit smaller than if it's loaded into RAM?

I'd think the best thing would be to put the least amount possible into ROM and put as much else onto the SD card to keep RAM free. Unless you like to hard reset a lot - then go to town with ROM!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    RAM and ROM share space, no? So why move something from RAM to ROM? I presume ROM is affected by the same 512 byte block issue? Or will the equivalent program in ROM be a bit smaller than if it's loaded into RAM?

I'd think the best thing would be to put the least amount possible into ROM and put as much else onto the SD card to keep RAM free. Unless you like to hard reset a lot - then go to town with ROM!
    No, they don't "really" share space. ~8MB assigned to ROM, the rest to RAM. If you empty your ROM, you might get a little more RAM, but not really. Some programs are a pain or won't run from SD (like Snapper doing retrieval, Zlauncher, etc), so putting them in ROM saves RAM.

A hard reset every few weeks to upgrade is no less than a 3 minute ordeal if you have a backup program (I have two).
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    A hard reset every few weeks to upgrade is no less than a 3 minute ordeal if you have a backup program (I have two).
    Yeah, true good point...
    .......A hard reset every few weeks to upgrade is no less than a 3 minute ordeal if you have a backup program (I have two).
    Do not agree. A hard reset destroys personalization that is not backed up. While I had to do hard resets on my 270, I cannot remember a hard reset on my 600.
    Yeah, but if you have backups, they'd contain all the "personalization" files.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Do not agree. A hard reset destroys personalization that is not backed up. While I had to do hard resets on my 270, I cannot remember a hard reset on my 600.
    As Joebar stated, using a backup program will back up *everything* (provided it works, which is a different topic). I've restored over a hundred times with my T650, and all personalization is restored.
    Except for Bluetooth pairing. This has been lost everytime for me. No big deal for those only with a BT headset, but it is if you have on your trusted devices list:

2 Macs
    1 PC
    1 phone/pda (wife's Treo)
    1 Headset
    5 Business associates (to exchange files)

As Joebar stated, using a backup program will back up *everything* (provided it works, which is a different topic). I've restored over a hundred times with my T650, and all personalization is restored.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    Except for Bluetooth pairing. This has been lost everytime for me. No big deal for those only with a BT headset, but it is if you have on your trusted devices list:

2 Macs
    1 PC
    1 Headset
    Same goes for Voicedial. Backupman cannot restore it and needs to be reinstalled. But after moving it in ROM, it's never deleted nor does it have to be reinstalled after a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster

2 Macs
    1 PC
    1 Headset
    Yep, I didn't mention that, but I just leave a copy on my SD, and re-run that after a hard reset. Wish I didn't have to... Shadowmite was working on setting up the files to put those in ROM, but I never found out if it worked or not...
    I've restored over a hundred times with my T650
    ????????????

http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...milies/eek.gif
    What about the following programs:

Today
    Prison
    Lightwav
    Directory assistant
    FileZ
    SplashID
    SOIC - Stay On In Cradle
    PXAClocker
    pTunes
    Minefield
    Rumor has it that pTunes does not work in ROM (no personal experience, just passing info along the grapevine...)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    What program is being used to place apps in ROM?
    When I used shadowmite's custom rom without versamail I noticed more available ram. I think they do share space.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast