Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried the following?

Java Virtual Machine

That sucker is almost 2 megs!

TIA
    Regarding java VM, It's too much of a problem to get it into the ROM and there are, in my opinion, more critical programs that should reside in ROM.

I have what I really need in ROM, and that takes my stripped ROM to 8MB. Other not so critical programs that run from the SD card reside there. Everything else I can download from the web and I have a "secret" website for downloading all my important palm related files.

I am working on Hotsync via Network connection.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Regarding java VM, It's too much of a problem to get it into the ROM and there are, in my opinion, more critical programs that should reside in ROM.
    Nevertheless - as we all have different needs and preferences - has anyone successfully installed the Java VM in ROM?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    From what I've read it seems like the less programs you have in ROM the more DBCache your Treo will have. The bigger your DBCache the better your programs will run because that's the space all programs use. So adding programs to the ROM was a good idea with previous Palm units, but not the Treo. For the Treo 650 it seems like the less programs in ROM the better.

Piri
    Pockettunes.prc works, ptunes.prc does not. The latest version works and I have been using it for months. Works with streaming media and blazer fine. Skins need to go in RAM
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the Pockettunes and ptunes as mentioned above? Are these different programs or what?

Thanks for the help

Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by gspears
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the Pockettunes and ptunes as mentioned above? Are these different programs or what?

Thanks for the help

Gary
    Same Program... just different versions. The latest one works.

As far a stufifng the ROM full of programs, it's definitly a bad idea. I am having memory problems w/ 4.5 MB free where befor I only had 2 MB and no problems. dbcache size is definitly an issue.

I think the smartest thing to do with ROM is to delete unneeded software and replace it with large, critical programs. I removed real and added pocket tunes and a bunch of other little stuff.. I will now delete some of the smaller programs.

Also, the method of flashing matters. One method partitions where the ace.palmos.... file goes, the other method does not (rev cvt2, ace...) You could shrink a ROM and not recover any addtional memory
    Last edited by nonobeez; 12/26/2005 at 08:07 PM.
    Also, the method of flashing matters. One method partitions where the ace.palmos.... file goes, the other method does not (rev cvt2, ace...) You could shrink a ROM and not recover any addtional memory

This is the first time I've heard of this. What are the two different methods? Which method is used in Tem's really long ROM flashing for dummies thread?

Which method is the one that actually recovers additional memory?
    I am not familiar with Tem's thread. The one that is initiated by typing rev cvt2, then ace. That one updates just the ROM and not the firmware and takes about a minute.

It's a good method to test your ROM, but it will fail if the ROM is too big and will leave unused memory if the ROM is too small. If it fails, it will give you a patition error... you just hit the home key and it takes you back to the applications.

I guess there are now many different ways to upgrade a ROM. THe best is from an SD card which does the firmware also Shadomite's restore tool is excellent for recovering from a bad upgrade, but you need to upgrade the right way afterwards.
    Anyone get callrec to work from ROM? I could not. How about profiles? I have not tried that one...
    I had callrec in rom, didn't work, took it back out.
    I will continue the 'works in rom' and 'don't work in rom' lists I started earlier in this post, as more posts come in.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'll go ahead and try profiles... Thanks!
    I am not familiar with Tem's thread. The one that is initiated by typing rev cvt2, then ace. That one updates just the ROM and not the firmware and takes about a minute.

It's a good method to test your ROM, but it will fail if the ROM is too big and will leave unused memory if the ROM is too small. If it fails, it will give you a patition error... you just hit the home key and it takes you back to the applications.

I guess there are now many different ways to upgrade a ROM. THe best is from an SD card which does the firmware also Shadomite's restore tool is excellent for recovering from a bad upgrade, but you need to upgrade the right way afterwards.
    Tem's method is from SD card as well. Can you give instructions on how to do it the "better way" that updates the firmware AND ROM?
    The latest ROW ROM (120.ENA) does not seem to like the latest version of EReader (v2.6.1). I had an older EReader working fine with the previous ROW, but got a reset loop until EReader was removed with the current one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    The latest ROW ROM (120.ENA) does not seem to like the latest version of EReader (v2.6.1). I had an older EReader working fine with the previous ROW, but got a reset loop until EReader was removed with the current one.
    I think I will go back and Title the earlier list as 'Pre-1.20 ENA'.
    And start a new list Titled 'Apps that Work in 1.20 ENA. ROM'.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/27/2006 at 10:14 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Hi all ....

this is a great thread ..... the three apps that i use the most are Agendus for Palm (Pro version) ....eReader ... and Butler .... and i would really love to put them all into a custom ROM ....

i can't see any comments on the suitability of Agendus at all ... i think it's a pretty popular program and i am surprised at that ...... has anyone got it working in ROM OK ...

also i see some mixed comments re butler and ereader ... some say OK ... others not so good for putting these two into ROM .... anyone else with more comments re the suitability of these apps pls .....

also ... does anyone that uses Megalauncher have it in ROM .... i used to use this app way back... i think it was in my Vx days ... i remember liking it enough to register it at the time ... but have not used it since ... i guess i somehow "forgot" about it ... despite the many upgrade notices ....

i recently looked at it again ...and was very impressed with the latest version (and even more impressed to find out that whatever i paid for the app way back then still entitled me to register the current version .... without any upgrade fee ... WOW ... so i would also like to know if MegaLauncher can go in ROM

my Treo is the GSM unlocked version used here in Australia... i will do the new update in a few days ,... and then hope to do a custom ROM a few weeks later .....

thanks
    aussietanker
    Last edited by aussietanker; 01/27/2006 at 10:19 PM.
    Hi again ....

can anyone give any advice if the latest agendus prc will work ok in ROM ... i use this app so much .... i have done a seardh and i see that action names is listed (the old version of agendus i think ...) but not agenduspro_ota_en.prc .....

also is ptunes just pocket tunes renamed? ....

please .... anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    Hi again ....

can anyone give any advice if the latest agendus prc will work ok in ROM ... i use this app so much .... i have done a seardh and i see that action names is listed (the old version of agendus i think ...) but not agenduspro_ota_en.prc .....

also is ptunes just pocket tunes renamed? ....

please .... anybody?
    ptunes version 3.1.1 will work in ROM many other versions will not including the latest version.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Recent info shows that its best not to put anything in ROM really.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106586
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    ptunes version 3.1.1 will work in ROM many other versions will not including the latest version.

thanks james ... man, you are EVERYWHERE! .....

any ideas about agendus ...

.it's the app that i use the most ...i am not planning on putting too much into your stripped LAP with clock ... just zlauncher, butler, powerrun, and hopefully agendus ..... with the extra space i can live with p tunes or aeroplayer in ram with music on the card .....

then all will be sweet ....

again ... thanks heaps

ps... do you guys ever sleep?
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    thanks james ... man, you are EVERYWHERE! .....

any ideas about agendus ...

.it's the app that i use the most ...i am not planning on putting too much into your stripped LAP with clock ... just zlauncher, butler, powerrun, and hopefully agendus ..... with the extra space i can live with p tunes or aeroplayer in ram with music on the card .....

then all will be sweet ....

again ... thanks heaps

ps... do you guys ever sleep?
    I'm a DateBk6 user, no idea on agendus.

I sleep sometimes, I am actually finishing up a few projects so I can go out of town this weekend. This is just a breather.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS