Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Off topic, but can custom ROMS be made for other P1 PDA's? I would like a ROM for my Zire72 that doesn't have RealPlayer.
    Thought maybe I should post this here too...(posted @ Shadowmite)

Well I just got over a horribly nasty scare. I decided to burn the Movian VPN PRCs into a custom ROM and see how that worked. Well it didn't. After flashing, a hard reset produced more resets. I could disable extensions (reset hole + up arrow) and get the thing to the phone pad. But as soon as I stuck an SD card in the slot or tried to launch the launcher (applications), the thing went back into its reset loop.

So after prematurely panicking and emailing Shadowmite (its all his fault, right? and thinking about the poker face I was going to have to put on when I took this thing back to the Sprint store, I started trying to think out of the box.

The thing that ended up saving the day was ZLauncher -- that I also burned into ROM.

I assigned ZLauncher to a "speed dial" button on the phone pad. The first time I launched it, ZLauncher panicked as well. However, I rebooted (disabled extensions again) and launched ZLauncher.

The second time, I was able to get to the card and relaunch the ROM updater.

Whew.

Lessons learned: (1) don't try to put Movian in ROM and (2) always put ZLauncher in ROM!

Hey Shadow: have you hacked any more on the bootloader over serial?
    Ideally, wouldn't we want to have memory as empty as possible? I would rather run as many apps as possible off the card and have my ROM and RAM as free as I can
    Quote Originally Posted by handtruck
    Ideally, wouldn't we want to have memory as empty as possible? I would rather run as many apps as possible off the card and have my ROM and RAM as free as I can
    Yes, you want as much RAM free as possible. Not so for ROM.

The T650 reserves 8MB of the RAM as fixed space for ROM. It's gone regardless of how much is actually used. So... if you can move some apps that do not operate well from the SD card to ROM, you've freed up RAM and haven't given anything up.

Does that make any sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    No prob...here is what I have on mine:

Snapper Mail
    Zlauncher
    DocsToGo
    LightWav
    TreoHelper
    LEDOff
    BackupMan
    Cleanup
    Colorize
    FileZ
    KBLightsOff
    PhoneTechnician

Shadowmites Rom #5 (Only voicepatch, DUN Patch, Voice memo, NO note pad)
    I tried to put Butler in, but was getting resets when clicking the "close" button.
    Thanks for the list Cal.

Questions:

For Docs To Go, did you just put in

• WordToGo.prc
    • SheetToGo.prc
    • SlideShowToGo.prc

and put the rest of the files in RAM that are listed on the DataViz support page - or did you put everything in RAM?

(http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13105)

Same question on Snapper Mail - just the prc, or all files?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba
    Thanks for the list Cal.

Questions:

For Docs To Go, did you just put in

• WordToGo.prc
    • SheetToGo.prc
    • SlideShowToGo.prc

and put the rest of the files in RAM that are listed on the DataViz support page - or did you put everything in RAM?

(http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13105)

Same question on Snapper Mail - just the prc, or all files?

Thanks!

Wordtogo.prc,SheettoGo.prc and SlideSHowtogo.prc were all moved to my card via the DataViz tech tool. The only thing installed on my ROM is the main Docstogo file.

Snappermail main prc file is in ROM. All of the related databases were installed in RAM.
    -Cal
    I have Zlauncher and VoiceDial by VoiceSignal in ROM. It works fine, but I have one new problem. When I play an Audible program via my car speakers using my IRock or the cassette adaptor, VoiceDial activates itself over and over, thus making Audible useless from the car speakers. I'm not sure if the problem is with VoiceDial, Audible, or VoiceDial being in ROM.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Has anyone tried putting launcher X in ROM?

Also, is it possible to put split up chatter and put the main chatter.prc in RAM and the rest of the files in ROM so that way you could upgrade easily?
    [QUOTE=matthew23]Has anyone tried putting launcher X in ROM?QUOTE]

I did. I got rid of the built-in launcher too.

What files did I put in my custom ROM?
    Here they are:

LauncherX
    SnapperMail
    LEDOff
    KB LightsOff
    CardKeeper
    CutPaste5
    PowerUp
    Resco Explorer
    ResetMe
    ShortCut5
    FieldPlus

Read and Download the PDF for details of the custom build.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    sounds good...I think I'll try to put it in also...
    Are you guys loading the theme for ZLauncher in ROM as well?
    Oh, and Ringo Pro definitely *does* not work for some reason. I get ROM CANNOT BE INSTALLED with every custom ROM with Ringo on it.
    I put LauncherX in, but what should I do if I want to remove the built-in launcher? I think I have to assign LauncherX to a speeddial button but I am not sure of the procedure.
    I take that back! Ringo does work...it was just Monopoly that I had installed on there
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    I put LauncherX in, but what should I do if I want to remove the built-in launcher? I think I have to assign LauncherX to a speeddial button but I am not sure of the procedure.
    I looked at doing this but for the 111k it frees up, I'm not sure it's worth it - particularly since it's probably more integrated then we think?
    that's a good point, I thought it was a lot bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    I looked at doing this but for the 111k it frees up, I'm not sure it's worth it - particularly since it's probably more integrated then we think?
    I did it and the only issue I see is that LauncherX does not offer a Bluetooth send option (only email and beam).
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Egg Foo
    Are you guys loading the theme for ZLauncher in ROM as well?
    Looks like this one never got answered. 1 theme must be installed in ROM in order for ZL to work; the rest can be stored on the card.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    Has anyone tried putting launcher X in ROM?
    Interesting...I tried this with v1.23 base, and kept getting reset. After I went to 1.28, I contacted the LX developer and he told me they did not recommend putting LX in ROM...
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Here's what I have in my Custom 1.28 ROM
    Snappermail (enterprise edition)
    PowerRun
    QLaunch
    Resco Explorer
    Filez
    BackupMan
    EWallet (prc only)
    MyBible (prc only)
    Documents (to go.prc)