1.    #1  
    I have had this unlocked unit (tmo sim) for almost 2 weeks now. I must say it's the coolest gadget on the market period and I love it. Although it's not the best sounding phone it's good and usable so I can live with it.

The thing that is driving me nuts are the reboots. I only have Verichat installed which I love and need. I get reboots from "phone", "messaging" and of coarse "Verichat." about 3 or 4 times a day with heavy usuage. My coworker has the cingular version with verichat for 5 days and it has not rebooted once. I had a Cingular for about a week before this unit and it rebooted a few times too. If these are hardware problems they have got a serious quality control issue.

I have done hard resets and started from scratch. I am wondering if the hardware needs to be replaced or if I should just wait for treo to release a patch.

I am wondering if I should get my money back and wait 6 mos or hang in there. Is Treo good about replaceing the hardware within the year wnty?

The reason we are frustrated is because we love these things and just want them to be reliable. We should noy have to keep cherry picking one until we find one thats stable.
    ask for an exchange
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    I have had this unlocked unit (tmo sim) for almost 2 weeks now. I must say it's the coolest gadget on the market period and I love it. Although it's not the best sounding phone it's good and usable so I can live with it.

The thing that is driving me nuts are the reboots. I only have Verichat installed which I love and need. I get reboots from "phone", "messaging" and of coarse "Verichat." about 3 or 4 times a day with heavy usuage. My coworker has the cingular version with verichat for 5 days and it has not rebooted once. I had a Cingular for about a week before this unit and it rebooted a few times too. If these are hardware problems they have got a serious quality control issue.
    I just started using Verichat on my Treo 650 yesterday. My Treo 650 was more or less stable until then, but after I started using Verichat, which had worked fine on my Treo 600, my Treo 650 started locking up. Sometime after running Verichat --even if I exited Verichat-- my Treo will lock with a blank screen and the only thing I can do is to reset. (BTW, I find that taking out the battery is faster than using the reset pin.)

--Bill
    If I were you, I would get an exchange.

I also have verichat installed, as well as a few other 3rd party apps, and with heavy everyday usage I have not experienced a single reboot since the day I got my replacement ( which was 2 Wed. ago ) The only reboot I experienced was when I soft reset it myself, and that was only once because I thought it would get rid of a stuck sms icon which I found out was not really a stuck icon but an unread email.
    1 | 2
    Also, re: your question regarding if they are good about replacing hardware...I received my original 650 on a Monday, called that night to report it was defective, they had a replacement shipped overnight on Tuesday, and I've had a perfectly working 650 every since that Wed.

It's worth a shot and if you get another one that's a dud...well damn...I don't know, just try not to pull your hair out
    1 | 2
    This is a very interesting discussion. I think I'm going to exchange my treo 650 tomorrow. . .
    I should also add that I demanded overnight shipping on my replacement because I paid for overnight shipping on my original order...
    1 | 2
    I had a bunch of issues with my 650, especially with Snappermail. I kept getting the infamous "HALRadio" crash, which would reset my phone. I went back to the PalmOne store and got an exchange last week (as a bonus, I got to keep all the accessories in the box, because they just wanted the phone, so I got a second charger and USB cable. YMMV.) The new phone is absolutely perfect. I also did a clean install, because I wasn't sure if there was something floating in the user file that might have caused the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    . We should not have to keep cherry picking one until we find one thats stable.
    That's what I did, I really think it's just the way palm OS 5 is. My gut feeling is telling me there's a patch update on the horizon. So I'm just going to stay with treo, I wouldn't have it any other way! it's truely the "all in one" device. And to think I was a "flip phone" type at one point. Sighhhhhh , gotta love the treeeeeeeeeeeeeo 650 man!
    I have been working with PDAapps on instability issues with the latest beta version of VeriChat. In my case, I will get resets if VeriChat is logged on and I have "Always On" enabled with the SMS option. So far, using the Data-mode seems stable.

If you are experiencing crashes, and you are using "Always On", can you try it in Data-mode to see if it makes a difference?

I am not affiliated with PDAapps, I'm just trying to troubleshoot my crashes and have been communicating with them.

{Edit} I should add that I have a Sprint 650.
    Last edited by MarkY; 02/27/2005 at 05:44 PM.
    I have had my 650 GSM Cingular for 4 days and am seriously in love with the little monster. It's WAY too buggy for the general market though. I can't sync for some darn reason that many others have experienced. Had the VM issue too. No reboots yet; miraculously. I'll go a few more days and decide what to do. I'm leaning towards sending it back and waiting a while if I can part with this beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by korndog
    I have had my 650 GSM Cingular for 4 days and am seriously in love with the little monster. It's WAY too buggy for the general market though. I can't sync for some darn reason that many others have experienced. Had the VM issue too. No reboots yet; miraculously. I'll go a few more days and decide what to do. I'm leaning towards sending it back and waiting a while if I can part with this beast.
    Which version SIM do you have?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I have been working with PDAapps on instability issues with the latest beta version of VeriChat. In my case, I will get resets if VeriChat is logged on and I have "Always On" enabled with the SMS option. So far, using the Data-mode seems stable.

If you are experiencing crashes, and you are using "Always On", can you try it in Data-mode to see if it makes a difference?

I am not affiliated with PDAapps, I'm just trying to troubleshoot my crashes and have been communicating with them.

{Edit} I should add that I have a Sprint 650.
    I haven't used Vericat that much on my Treo 650 (unlocked with Cingular) -- just for a few minutes every now and then.

The problem that I'm having is that after I sign off and exit Verichat my Treo 650 freezes with the screen blank. The only way that I seem to be able to revive it is by resetting the 650. This freezing only has happened to me after usinging Verichat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Which version SIM do you have?
    Mine has a G at the end of the S#. I believe this is the preferred card according to Cingular. Is that enough info Z?
    Quote Originally Posted by korndog
    Mine has a G at the end of the S#. I believe this is the preferred card according to Cingular. Is that enough info Z?
    If it ends in G, its a GEMPLUS card, and Cingular just recently figured out that its not very compatible with the Treo650. It causes random resets, resets when making/receiving calls, and voicemail number corruption. You should go to your nearest Cingular store and ask them to exchange that SIM for another 64K SIM, but this one ending in the letter A, which means it is made by Axalto. They are both Cingular 64K SIMs, just made by different companies. The Axaltos seem to work much better. I got mine on Friday and have not experienced a reset of voice mail number corruption since.
    Cingular Treo 650
    I know most people seem to love Verichat, but when I had it installed on a Sprint Treo 650 I had spontanteous resets and it would always crash when I tried to use the send command in any app since Verichat installs itself in the send. Once I hard reset and didn't install Verichat I didn't get any crashes. Repeat none, once Verichat was gone it was rock solid. I now have an unlocked GSM Treo 650 (which I was waiting for all this time) and I have not installed Verichat on it. To me the choice was between Verichat and instability, or a rock solid 650. I chose the rock solid 650 without Verichat. If one app is causing instability, it's not the Treo's fault, it's the app.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  17.    #17  
    why does my freinds cingular 650 with verichat not reboot? Verichat is 80% of the reason i have the treo.
    The 650 is an absolutely incredible phone, as long as you get a working one. These all seem to be very spotty and hit or miss. They range from perfect out of the box, to flat out unusable, rebooting and locking up constantly. My first 650 froze and rebooted when I looked at it funny, and after I got an exchange I haven't had any problems yet, knock on wood.

Go exchange it, give a working 650 a shot. You'll love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    If it ends in G, its a GEMPLUS card, and Cingular just recently figured out that its not very compatible with the Treo650.
    Thanks for this Z. I was told by a low level tech that the opposite was true. He did not sound very convincing though. I'll give it a shot.

I was able to hot synch ONE time. Then error message. no pop up on desktop. (win2k or xp pro)
    Geez, these low level tech support guy should be whipped every time they give such a boneheaded answer like that. You can read more about this here

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/556-1.htm
    Cingular Treo 650