Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, even after Disabling network time, completely signing off of Verichat when I'm not using it and a couple of other minor things, I still get some random resets, so I've decided to start trying to narrow the problem down. The 2 most recent resets are these:

After Hotsync (using the usb cable) I can repeat this easily and last night during/after my automated nightly backup (Teal Backup).

Here's what I have running right now with version numbers and where they're run from.

Internal (Run in Treo 650 RAM)
    ----------------------------------
    ZLauncher v5.10.3 (internal)
    (Theme=ZLT_Kristalin_OS5, Icon Set=NONE, Back Image=COBALT.BMP)

SplashID v3.2.2 (internal)
    Splash Money 4.0b1 (internal)
    SplashPhoto v4.32 (internal)
    Butler v2.82 (internal)
    KBLightsOff v1.01 (internal)
    PocketCodes v3.0 (internal)
    Ringo Pro v4.29 (internal)
    TealAuto Plus v1.59 (internal)
    Teal Backup v1.09 (internal)
    VoiceDial v2.0 (internal)
    Audible Player v2.5 (internal)
    MobiPocket Reader v4.8
    Pocket Tunes v3.0.6 (internal)
    DisplayTimeChange v1.1 (internal)
    mo:Blog v2.0g (internal)
    SnapperMail v2.1.0.01 (internal)
    SplashBlog v1.0 (internal)
    Verichat v2.58b (internal)

External (Run from SDCard)
    -------------------------------
    DayNotez v2.8.4 (external)
    eReader v2.5.3 (external)
    iSilo v4.2 (external)
    Splash Shopper v2.61 (external)
    Bejeweled v2.23 (external)
    Book Worm v1.0r1 (external)
    Nesem v1.6 (external)
    Space Trader v1.2.0 (external)
    Text Twist v2.02 (external)
    Trivia King v1.0 (external)
    Filez v6.4 (external)

I'm leaning towards a hard reset and installing one app at a time to see when and where the resets begin to occur. There's only 4 programs that I'm REALLY tied to, SplashMoney, SplashID, Butler, and KBLightsoff. The rest, I can drop with only minor discomfort and start from "scratch".

Opinions? Ideas?
  2.    #2  
    Here's a little extra to add to the previous post:

Internal memory remaining = 4.8MB
    External memory remaining = 823MB (1GB SDCard)
    PRL version = 10026
    Phone Software version = Tre650-1.03-SPCS
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I have noticed keeping more than 6 Mb of memory open reduces the resets.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Not that Snapper should be causing any issues but you should update to the latest.
    Current beta is v 2.2.3.01
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  5.    #5  
    I've noticed with Snappermail, that if I decide I want to switch where it is run from (such as internal to external or vice versa) that all of Snappermail's databases get corrupted. Rather annoying. THat's the main reason I run it internal, but also the reason I don't allow it to remove messages from the server.
    I don't think that you can run SM from the SD card? I may be wrong...
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  7.    #7  
    Ok, upgraded Snappermail to the latest (thanks for the info). Snappermaill will run from SD. I've done it on multiple handhelds. The 650 is the only one that corrupted the databases though when transfering from external to internal.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Snappermail CAN run from the external card. You just can't get your emails on your pre-determined intervals automatically once you exit the program.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
  9.    #9  
    Right. I don't use the auto feature anyways. I work in a building where I don't get a signal, so I turn the phone off to save the battery.
    Okay, good to know! Shoot I wished I knew that earlier because I had some 1400 emails archived on my sd card when I had my 600 but after transfering to the 650 the SM db files were massive! I ended up removing all archived messages and started from scratch.
    I guess we're getting a little off track here...sorry
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Have you started from scratch; i.e., wiping out every application, and reinstalling one by one?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&page=1&pp=20

Also, if you're on a Mac, VoiceDiale may be causing issues with HotSync.
  12.    #12  
    Haven't started from scratch yet. It's funny because it's VERY rare for me to hotsync. I backup to card and leave it at that. If I want to install an app, I'll BT it from my Linux computer unless there's a required Windows component (which I hate).

If I need an offline backup, I'll copy the needed db to a separate, unused folder and then reinstall them as needed.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Well, logically, if you start from ground zero (i.e., hard reset) you'd know if it was an application or hardware problem; you could have both.

Also, when installing apps, it's improbable to know what went where. For instance, VoiceDial Installer adds more components as it's registered. Same with TomTom. Reinstalling TomTom this way breaks it, in most cases. So, reinstalling dbs from backups can work, but not a clear diagnostic routine. In addition, TomTom needs 5MB to run, and highly flakey if run from the card. I'm using TomTom as an example, but it's one way a rogue application can keep you guessing as to what has happened on your Palm. I have a stable system, because 1) I have returned faulty hardware, 2) I installed only applications that are stable in my working routine.

I highly recommend starting from scratch. That's really the only way to isolate issues.

US$.02
  14.    #14  
    Address is the main dbs that I keep backed up. I ran into the adress db corruption issue a while back and the only thing that saved me was the fact that I had JUST HAPPENED to hotsync (one of the few times). LOL
    I've had my unlocked PalmOne GSM model for a little over a week now running stock setup without a single sync, nor any additional apps. I've had all the problems that people report regarding locks and random resets. It also seems to randomly wake up and idle in the message for Keyguard. It seems to be related to some kind of cell signal activity. I disabled Network Time from the get-go and it looks to have made no difference. I also have the "A" 64 MB SIM, as apposed to the problematic "G" card. I'm now just installing all the conduits and stuff because I need my address book. I've tried to get through to PalmOne about these issues, but just sit on hold forever. I'm a little concerned. I dropped a chunk of change on this thing and it is so far unreliable. Seems to be the same story with everyone, so I'm hoping for updates from PalmOne to fix these issues. I waited a long time to upgrade from my Kyocera 6035, but honestly as ancient as it was, it was reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergolad
    I've had my unlocked PalmOne GSM model for a little over a week now running stock setup without a single sync, nor any additional apps. I've had all the problems that people report regarding locks and random resets. It also seems to randomly wake up and idle in the message for Keyguard. It seems to be related to some kind of cell signal activity. I disabled Network Time from the get-go and it looks to have made no difference. I also have the "A" 64 MB SIM, as apposed to the problematic "G" card. I'm now just installing all the conduits and stuff because I need my address book. I've tried to get through to PalmOne about these issues, but just sit on hold forever. I'm a little concerned. I dropped a chunk of change on this thing and it is so far unreliable. Seems to be the same story with everyone, so I'm hoping for updates from PalmOne to fix these issues. I waited a long time to upgrade from my Kyocera 6035, but honestly as ancient as it was, it was reliable.
    Are you using versamail? If so, you may want to search the threads as there have been some problems associated with it (not for me, however). If you get these problems without using versamail or adding anything, it sounds like a bad phone in need of a replacement...
    Naw. Not using Versamail. Been running the phone stock for a week. Hadn't even done a sync til today. Was basically just using phone features and web. Thanks for the thought though. I've been on hold with PalmOne for almost 2 hours now waiting to speak to a rep.... Hell man.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    It's definitely a hardware issue, it appears. I did this to get my Treo replacement faster, if you can handle it (from Cingular):

I ordered a new one and simply sent the old one back. I kept the SIM (new migration from AT&T), and this (non-GemPlus) SIM works totally perfectly in this phone. The only resets I've had is due to funky attempts at TomTom restoration (as I mentioned before); otherwise, zero problems. Seriously, none. You shouldn't have resets out of the box.
    You shouldn't have resets out of the box.
    Yeah, really.

After 2.5 hours on hold with P1 I got disconnected. Oh joy.

I purchased my unlocked phone directly from P1. Have to go through them for an exchange.

May have to use the BBB to facilitate this process. This will be the 3rd such phone call.

But alas, we stray off topic. Thank you all though for confirming that I wasn't out of my mind.
    Finally got through to P1. Surprisingly enough, once you get a tech to confirm that you've got a problematic phone getting a replacement seems fairly easy. I called back to sales was transferred to customer support and in almost no time had an order placed to send me out a new phone. They take care of all the shipping for the return and everything. As it should be. Hopefully this new unit will not have the same issues as the original.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast