1.    #1  
    Hi,

Is there any utility that allows me to see a list of background processes running on the treo? Best if it also shows a CPU usage (ie top or ps on linux).

Basically, my treo occasionally becomes very slow to respond, like the CPU is taxed 100%. I'm thinking it may be Versamail, or Express from handmark. Since I only recently started using them (about 3-4 days ago).

Any help is appreciated,

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by proxidicae
    Is there any utility that allows me to see a list of background processes running on the treo? Best if it also shows a CPU usage (ie top or ps on linux).
    In a word, no. The PalmOS doesn't support true background processes. Only one app can be active in RAM at any given time.

The easiest thing to do is disable VersaMail and Express to see if it stops, then you'll know for sure.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    In a word, no. The PalmOS doesn't support true background processes. Only one app can be active in RAM at any given time.

The easiest thing to do is disable VersaMail and Express to see if it stops, then you'll know for sure.

The problem is, it happens once in a blue moon, I cannot reproduce it effectively. I don't even know for sure that it's because of that. I only guessed cuz it happened to both my wife's phone and mine, and the similarity is that we've both installed express weather. She's been using versamail for a while, while I've been using the beta version of chatter.
    Technically, PalmOS 5.x can support 2 user processes. But one of them is the background streaming sound channel; so if your Treo is quiet (no mp3's playing), there is only one user process address space in existance.

However any utilities (button behavior modifiers such as Butler, etc.) you have activated can cause the OS to notify these utilities on every user event. This can cause some slow down since the OS has to load/unload these utility prc's from NVFS. I don't know of anything which can list all the utility apps listening to these notifications.