1.    #1  
    Hello All,

I have had my new Treo 650 (CDMA version) for about four days. The call quality is typically very good. The data download speed is great. The email client works well and is very quick. Signal strength has been really good in the San Francisco Bay Area.

There are a couple issues that I have been unable to figure. Sometimes when I dial a number, the phone resets. There is no consistency to this. It just happens sometime with no predictability.

Another issue is that I attempted to go to the "software" section - I guess this is to download software for the device from Sprint. That also triggers a reset.

I've heard of these reset issues, so it's not totally unexpected. The question I have is this: Does it get worse with time, usage and/or additional software installation? I really like the device and though I have some issues in terms of synchronizing with Entourage, for the most part it is a solid device. My fear is that I'll keep it beyond the 30-day trial period only to have the issues get worse, then I won't be able to return it.

What has been your experience with these issues? Thanks for your thoughts.
    David
    A couple of questions back:

Do you have any software other that what shipped with it installed? If so, what?

Did you upgrade from another Palm OS device? If so, how did you proceed? Did you hotsync and restore from your prior backup directoy? That's a guaranteed way to have lots of problems.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

Do you have any software other that what shipped with it installed? If so, what?

Did you upgrade from another Palm OS device? If so, how did you proceed? Did you hotsync and restore from your prior backup directoy? That's a guaranteed way to have lots of problems.
    Thanks for responding. In addition to the software the device came with, I've added the following:

Solitaire - From the CD it came with (into main memory)
    My Bible - Download from Laridian (onto an SD Card)

That's about it. I've found no patterns to the resets. I did notice that if I select a contact and choose "dial", that also triggers a reset sometimes. Not sure what to make of it. But on occasion the reset has happened at the most inopportune moments.
    David
    Congrats on the new phone. I got mine not to long ago, used in San Fran for two weeks I was there ( Mainly downtown).

Had no issues. One thing that I did find out, if I had less than 3 meg of free space in my main memory (not the SD card)... then my phone would reset randomly... just my two cents.
    Got to love it... Balinor
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinor
    Congrats on the new phone. I got mine not to long ago, used in San Fran for two weeks I was there ( Mainly downtown).

Had no issues. One thing that I did find out, if I had less than 3 meg of free space in my main memory (not the SD card)... then my phone would reset randomly... just my two cents.
    In my case, I have avoided installing anything in RAM beyond what came with the device. I've only added Solitaire from the Palm CD in main memory. Everything else has been added to the SD card. So, my device shows about 17 mb of free memory.

I'll have to watch this. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of exchanging and setting up another device.
    David
    Wow... 17 Meg on your RAM... and the rest on your SD card... great...

Let us know what you find out... I am curious to know...
    Got to love it... Balinor
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinor
    Wow... 17 Meg on your RAM... and the rest on your SD card... great...

Let us know what you find out... I am curious to know...
    Well, I honestly don't know what to make of it. I haven't had any resets today notwithstanding the fact that I've done everything I normally do. Of course, that makes it virtually impossible to systematically track the problem. Perhaps someone has done an exorcism on my 650 and the ghost of resets past is forever gone. O well, I guess I can dream.

But yes, I've kept my memory free and added everything to the SD Card. O, actually I added one more application - Splash ID. That doesn't seem to have had an impact.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

I'm about to go this route -- will be upgrading from a Zire 31. What is the recommended way to do this? There's half a dozen apps I can't do without, plus I've been inputting all my contacts in in preparation.