1.    #1  
    First, apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere - did a few searches and didn't come up with much...

I am looking to use my baby (er..Treo 650 =) as an in-car GPS device. So far I am aware of two different packages to do so: Mapopolis and TomTom. I am also aware that there are multiple bluetooth GPS receivers that will work with the 650 and either of these packages.

So now to the questions...

1 - Can one also use a bluetooth headset or car-kit when using a bluetooth GPS receiver?

2 - If not, does anyone know of a serial GPS receiver that will work with the 650? I've yet to locate one after multiple searches...

3 - It appears that, though TomTom will work on the 650, you must disable the radio when using it - something about the program crashing or having problems with an incoming call... Can anyone confirm or deny this, or the severity of the problem? If it's just a matter of the program exiting and needing to be re-launched after taking a call, I think I could live with that... But I can't live with not being able to accept calls if using the GPS software - the device *is* a phone after all!

4 - Mapopolis vs. TomTom? TomTom has what appears to be a very nice 3d view that I much prefer to the overhead view I've seen in Mapoplis screenshots. I've read that Mapopolis has (or had at one point?) a 3d view, but that it was subpar... Can't find any info on 3d vew on the website currently.. Other pro's con's of each package?

5 - Are there any other GPS navigation packages that will work with the 650?

Thanks mucho in advance for any answers or advice. I'm going to be moving across country in the next month or so, and the GPS would be infinitely useful for the drive, in addition to navigating a new city. But, I must be able to accept calls while using the GPS software!
    Only input I can provide of your questions -- No you do not have to disable the radio when using TomTom. I've used mine for about 2 weeks now, and so far I have not yet experienced "crashing" or resets when calls come through *crossing fingers* and have been successfully able to receive calls.

Quote Originally Posted by cstorer
    3 - It appears that, though TomTom will work on the 650, you must disable the radio when using it - something about the program crashing or having problems with an incoming call... Can anyone confirm or deny this, or the severity of the problem? If it's just a matter of the program exiting and needing to be re-launched after taking a call, I think I could live with that... But I can't live with not being able to accept calls if using the GPS software - the device *is* a phone after all!
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
    I've tried several packages (and was a Mapopolis user for several years). TomTom is light years ahead of them all - it's better than most built-in car systems even.

There is an issue with taking calls during navigation. However, it is only that if you use the Bluetooth GPS, you can't also use the bluetooth headset until you tuen on and off the Bluetooth radio to reset it. Taking calls using the handset or speakerphone is no problem though.

Not an issue if you use a wired GPS instead of Bluetooth, but then you'll have to wait another month or so for Semsons to get the GPS cable for the Treo 650 in.